• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Sunapee Expansion Update (2018 and 2019)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just read on Liftblog.org that Sunapee is planning on installing the old Sunbowl Quad to replace the North Peak Triple, and moving the North Peak Triple to run into the Sunbowl with a new trail underneath it. I know that this has been in the plans for a while now, but Liftblog says it may be as soon as 2019 and posted a link to their 2018 Operating Plan that has some very interesting information in it, including:

* A complete list of their 20-year operating statistics including opening, closing, and skier days. Despite being open for 142 days last year, they only did 186,000 skier days. Their high was 288,000 in 2010-2011 (Page 12);

* Statistics on snowmaking for 2017-2018, which logged 667 hours of operations (down from 743 hours the year before) (Page 15). The average? 702 hours per season;

* Marketing and budgeting for an average of 250,000 annual skier days. This is their 10-year average. They figure that the 186,000 number was due to adverse weather on key holiday weekends and competition (Page 23);

* Statistics on snowmaking water withdrawals--they are permitted to take 258.3 million gallons per year from Lake Sunapee, but have been averaging 150 million gallons the last few years (Page 24);

* They are using four Prinoth Groomers operating 16 hours per day and one snowmaking utility vehicle (Page 15);

* A detailed explanation of their Future Plans and Implementation of their Master Plan items. Triple Peaks has invested $22 million since taking over in 1998 and plans on $550,000 in maintenance this year. (Page 35). This year they plan on replacing snowmaking piping on the South Peak (36 year old pipe) (Page 36) and eventually adding the new lift and replacing the North Peak lift (Page 37-38).

No mention of their grand plans for a new base area. Is that still a thing?

Very interesting reading: https://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/MSR_AOP 2018-2019_FINAL.pdf

machski

Yes, the West Bowl or whatever is still in their plans, with speculation being they will move the current Sunapee express over there and possible bubble 6 replace the current HSQ. Of course, the North Peak switch-a-roo has been talked about for several years now. Love looking at the old quad on the ground every time I get to base of sun bowl.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, the West Bowl or whatever is still in their plans, with speculation being they will move the current Sunapee express over there and possible bubble 6 replace the current HSQ. Of course, the North Peak switch-a-roo has been talked about for several years now. Love looking at the old quad on the ground every time I get to base of sun bowl.

I had heard that this was a thought for a while. It is interesting that they reuse so many of their lifts. The North Peak is pretty old.

Newpylong

North Peak lift is only '88 - fairly young all things considering. It's gotten a new bottom terminal along the way too. Plenty of life left in it to become basically Sunapee's equivalent of Killington's Northbrook Quad.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Seems like a waste of $$ to move the triple and replace it with the quad. Why not just put the quad up where they intend on moving the triple to? I mean I guess more capacity could help on the front side of the mountain, but it's a lot $$$ moving a lift no?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Seems like a waste of $$ to move the triple and replace it with the quad. Why not just put the quad up where they intend on moving the triple to? I mean I guess more capacity could help on the front side of the mountain, but it's a lot $$$ moving a lift no?

I would tend to agree. Heck, the old quad is just sitting at the base of Sunbowl. Though they may want the extra capacity on the front, especially with the race program centered on that lift.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I would tend to agree. Heck, the old quad is just sitting at the base of Sunbowl. Though they may want the extra capacity on the front, especially with the race program centered on that lift.

My guess is capacity.

While some components of both lifts are relatively new (drives at least), others are not. That said, if I was Triple Peaks (or whatever they are now) I would also not install anything brand new because it is leased land.

Newpylong

North Peak is busy busy. Cataract chair will essentially be a transfer to front side or 2 trail service chair. The musical chairs (har har) will be cheaper than a new lift but I also question it. I would put that old Snow Bowl quad in up the back as its right there already. Remove North Peak and install a carpet loader quad. Not my checkbook though!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well, one would hope if they move the old quad over, a carpet is included in the plan. I recall that thing being pretty slow, but it's been several years since I've skied there

skixc2

The old quad seemed slow because the line was so long, it might even be longer than the main summit lift on the front side. I don't know that the lift actually ran slower than any other fixed grip. It was a long ride though, around 15 minutes.

All the best steep trails are off the North Peak triple, as well as the only upper mountain green trails so increasing capacity to that part of the mountain will be well worth it.

Cataract is one of my favorite trails on the mountain, so having a better route to ski/lap it will be nice. On the other hand the Cataract Glades are also super nice and if they destroy them to put in this "new" lift I will also be sad.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The old quad seemed slow because the line was so long, it might even be longer than the main summit lift on the front side. I don't know that the lift actually ran slower than any other fixed grip. It was a long ride though, around 15 minutes.

All the best steep trails are off the North Peak triple, as well as the only upper mountain green trails so increasing capacity to that part of the mountain will be well worth it.

Cataract is one of my favorite trails on the mountain, so having a better route to ski/lap it will be nice. On the other hand the Cataract Glades are also super nice and if they destroy them to put in this "new" lift I will also be sad.

North Peak was my favorite area as well. Good pitch.

sull1102

Don't forget when they reinstall these lifts they aren't just throwing them up and not checking things. I'm sure they are borderline rebuilt lifts throughout by the time they are installed.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app