• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Elan RipStick 96

gnardawg

Anyone have any experience with this ski? I think they are going to be my replacement for my broken Volkl Bridges.

Need an all mountain ski - don't need a twin tip ski. Didn't like the Volkl 90Eight Volkl Kendo or the Nordica Enforcer 93 when I demoed them.

Others I was considering:
Fischer Ranger 98 Ti
Line Sick Day 94
Head Kore 93
Atomic Vantage 95
Faction Prodigy 2.0

Thanks in advance.

mister moose

I skied them for an afternoon mid season. I liked them, lower weight for the width than I'm used to, but then there's a lot of skis like that now. I don't remember anything stellar or horrible. The asymmetric aspect wasn't that noticeable in the time I was on them. I did notice a soft tip with a firmer forefoot, ie it's a blended flex forward of the binding. The Vantage 95s were a huge nothingburger for me.

Look at this link, lots of opinions there.
https://www.pugski.com/search/5866738/?q=ripsticks&t=post&o=date&c[node]=11+96+64

prsboogie

No love for the Wren 98/96? Should check it out, it's a fun ride.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

FWIW I ride Atomic Vantage 90 CTi and consider them a superior piece of equipment. The versatility, nimbleness and edge-power all kick ass.

Wouldn't even think about a non-titanium Vantage. I thought the 95s (non CTi) were more suited towards intermediate skiers?

Then again -- if you didn't like the Nordica Enforcer 93, maybe if you explain the reason for that (since it's considered a top ski by most) we can better advise you.

I can't speak for the specific skis you listed.

The Sneak

I am curious about these too; still have yet find anything I like nearly as much as my 2013 Prophet 90s (I have both the early plank-y ones and the later design).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmywilson69

I purchased the RipStick 96 after demoing it in Late January on a shitty day at my southcentral PA Hill. The conditions were Meh, but that was actually a good thing when demoing skis. Most skis feel great in perfect packed powder or actual powder. So how the ski handled in our crappy , more often than not conditions, was very important to me.

Before I get to my thoughts on the RipStick, let me tell you the other skis I tried

Elan Ripstick 96 - first place
Nordica Enforcer - Tied for second place with the soul 7s
Rossingol Soul 7s - Tied for 2nd with enforcer
Head Kore 93 - Third place mainly because they didn't have the 105 to try.
Volkl Kendo - way too stiff compared to Mantra which I have skied countless times
Atomic (was a 90mm and way too stiff)
Icelantic (don't remember the model skied decently)

I chose the RipStick 96 because it handled the shitty variable granular hard base conditions the best at my local hill. It engaged turns really well and was a smooth ride in not so smooth conditions. I boughtthe '17-18 skis not the exact model I demoed. Nothing changed between last years and this years ski. I can't wait to mount it and ski it hard next winter.