Anyone want to move to VT? - Page 25

AlpineZone

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post

EDIT: Also, FWIW, I believe homes are currently overvalued in most American markets, and definitely in Vermont.
    Amen brother.

I find that generally hard to believe. That said, there are some cheaper areas of Morris County, so I guess it all depends. But there's no way you're finding a cheaper comp in Madison or Chatham than you are in Burlington VT. Heck, I doubt Morristown is more expensive than Burlington.

EDIT: Also, FWIW, I believe homes are currently overvalued in most American markets, and definitely in Vermont.
    And yet, try and rebuild a similar place to any real estate listing, and I guarantee you it would be more expensive to build new.

There are a few areas where it wouldn't, like Jackson, Aspen and the like, but in most markets, I find it hard to say real estate is overvalued for this reason alone.

You can buy a farmhouse on 10 acres in most areas of VT for sub 200k. Try and build that. The barn alone with run you probably more than that unless you are Amish.

People just like to complain that housing is to expensive because you have to pay for it no matter what, whether it is renting or owning. You have to have it. VT is expensive for pretty much every reason a place is desirable other than jobs. Kinda like every other resort town in existence.

Of course, take that all with a grain of salt as I've oriented my life around putting up with shitty pay to live in paradise, so it doesn't really grind my gears.
    Last edited by AdironRider; Jun 11, 2018 at 9:44 AM.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by x10003q View Post
    Actually, retired folks with disposable income are exactly what Vermont needs. They add no kids to the schools, pay property taxes and increase the need for service jobs. If these retirees come from the Wash-Boston area, it is likely they have children/family that would be in driving distance. This would mean more money being spent in Vermont.
    That humid, bitterly cold winter air isn't so nice on retirement aged bones and joints.
    Last edited by raisingarizona; Jun 11, 2018 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    And yet, try and rebuild a similar place to any real estate listing, and I guarantee you it would be more expensive to build new.
    That shouldn't surprise you, with few exceptions it's far more expensive to contract and build a new home than it is to buy an existing home. This is well-known; in economics "new home sales" and "existing home sales" are separate data rather than simply calling it home sales, partially for this reason (and others).
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

That shouldn't surprise you, with few exceptions it's far more expensive to contract and build a new home than it is to buy an existing home. This is well-known; in economics "new home sales" and "existing home sales" are separate data rather than simply calling it home sales, partially for this reason (and others).

I never said I was surprised. I'm just saying its hard to say something is overvalued when to recreate it would be substantially more expensive.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    That humid, bitterly cold winter air isn't so nice on retirement aged bones and joints.
    Not for skiers and riders

No; it just helps show more how you really arent aware of how critical Silicon Valley is to the economics of California; it's the only thing keeping that bat**** crazy, completely financially insane and irresponsible state from going belly-up.
    If you removed Silicon Valley from CA, the state would look like an apocalyptic biblical "end of days", with violence, crime, fire, and everything short of cannibalism.
    Well, California may be get a chance to find out. Or make that California and Southern California. Northern California should be fine based on BG's assertion.
    USA TODAY: Voters to decide if California should be 3 states

https://usat.ly/2t40hqo

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

It's not just Silicon Valley anymore. San Diego is loaded with tech companies.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    It's not just Silicon Valley anymore. San Diego is loaded with tech companies.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    When I first visited in 2014 I heard from a lot of folks there that indeed the tech business makes or breaks the California state budget. In good years the state rakes in the cash and has surpluses. In the bad years the state is beyond broke.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Well, California may be get a chance to find out. Or make that California and Southern California. Northern California should be fine based on BG's assertion.
    USA TODAY: Voters to decide if California should be 3 states
    Never gonna' happen, even if voters vote "YES" on that proposal, State of California is run top to bottom by Democrats who would not allow that to pass due to presidential elections. Right now Democrats get 55 e.c. votes for California to 0 for Republicans because they swamp the Republican north, but if you carved out the 3 states their advantage would probably be something like 39 to 16. That's a netted loss of 32 e.c. votes for Democrats, so they'll never let that become law.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information