• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail Purchases Okemo, Sunapee, Crested Butte, and Stevens Pass

skiur

I believe Stowe will in some lots. Waterville does have a lot with pay for parking.

Bay 1 at K (and bay 2 on the holidays) is pay to park on the weekends. I believe there is some weekend pay to park in the front of the snowshed lot too.

MadPadraic

I'm in Mister Moose's camp on this. Prices will increase. Also, I have no idea what you mean with your east/west market comment.

Here's a Census infographic by median household income by US county. The greatest concentration of wealth in America is in the east, so why you think Vail couldn't raise prices to western levels puzzles me.

I'm confused: Western prices are slightly lower. For example, Snowbasin is 769 right now, which is lower than Jay or Cannon. Sugarbush hasn't announced a rate yet, but it has historically been much higher. Mt Baker is 790. I'm sure we can find counter examples, but consider the price of an Epic Local (which doesn't have blackouts at the Summit County mountains) vs a Boyne Silver (many more blackouts) or Boyne Gold which does.

Also, with regards to geography. I can't find the link, but I believe Vail considers New York, Chicago and Texas to be their biggest markets for sales.

cdskier

I'm confused: Western prices are slightly lower. For example, Snowbasin is 769 right now, which is lower than Jay or Cannon. Sugarbush hasn't announced a rate yet, but it has historically been much higher. Mt Baker is 790. I'm sure we can find counter examples, but consider the price of an Epic Local (which doesn't have blackouts at the Summit County mountains) vs a Boyne Silver (many more blackouts) or Boyne Gold which does.

Also, with regards to geography. I can't find the link, but I believe Vail considers New York, Chicago and Texas to be their biggest markets for sales.

He was referring to food prices being higher out west, not pass prices.

Also fwiw since you mentioned Sugarbush, their pass if you purchased by the early deadline (May 9) was $799 for an adult.

Smellytele

Also fwiw since you mentioned Sugarbush, their pass if you purchased by the early deadline (May 9) was $799 for an adult.

And my Cannon pass was 549 for next year (yes NH resident early pricing)

LItoCOtoMA

Curious how Alterra reacts to this...

Altera now needs a compete in the 1) the Boston Day trip market 2) VT $$ condo resort market

-Just having 5 days at loon is a check in the L column for Alterra when compared to unlimited at Sunapee
-Just having 5 day access at either Stratton, Killington, or Sugarbush is another check in the L column for Alterra when compared to unlimited access at Okemo and Stowe

These are the type of skiiers the multi-pass mountains are after. Low volume weekend day trippers and seasonal condo owners who can be swayed to their product and have $$$ (and likely to venture out west)

What could happen
1) Unlimited days at Stratton. Highly likely IMHO. It is comparable to Okemo in a lot of ways and owned by Alterra
2) Greater access at Sugarbush, Killington, or Loon. They could do this by upping the days from say 5 to 15, opening up Pico, or even making it so that if you have a season pass at either Killington, Sugarbush, or NE you could get a steep discount on the IKON base. Probably won't happen, but who knows.
3) Make a Deal with WAWA. WAWA was on the MAX pass so they have been open to joining a pass deal in the past. Would compete well with Sunapee

I am also interested to see what happens to Jay. I haven't heard anything about it's sale. After such a large investment in the East by Vail would the addition of Jay bring a marginal benefit to out way the cost of another purchase in the east? Is that even relevant? They may just continue the arms race between them and Alterra and see every mountain as more potential passholders.

Regardless, I am excited to see how this plays out. This is great for consumers like me who are not tied to any one resort and make weekend trips from a major metro area. The addition of Okemo and Sunapee gives me more options to ski with more friends. It also puts pressure on Ikon to become more competetive So needless to say, im pretty psyched

Last edited:

VTKilarney

I am also interested to see what happens to Jay. I haven't heard anything about it's sale.

I've always seen Jay as a play to capture the Montreal market. It's just too far from Boston or New York to make the price worth it if you are trying to tap into that market.

Smellytele

Did Vail buy Okemo- Sunapee- Crested Butte and Stevens Pass or did they buy the rights to run them? I know Sunapee was only leased from the State of NH. What do they own? Buildings, lifts and infrastructure? If the lease was up what would become of the infrastructure?

MadPadraic

And my Cannon pass was 549 for next year (yes NH resident early pricing)

My pass for Cannon was 729, but prices have since risen. 549 is good, but, to cherry pick, Keystone and A-Basin (Cannon West!) is 349 even after the early deadline has passed.

As for food prices--I'm not sure I really agree on this. Perhaps I'm price insensitive on this front.

BenedictGomez

I've always seen Jay as a play to capture the Montreal market. It's just too far from Boston or New York to make the price worth it if you are trying to tap into that market.

Yeah, I dont see Vail buying Jay, unless they believe it would align with capturing more of the Canadian market.

Perhaps it's not entirely crazy given they own Whistler / Blackcomb, it would get them access to one more major metro market and they could pull some Quebecois to BC, but the exchange rate isn't beneficial to pull Canadians to Colorado.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah, I dont see Vail buying Jay, unless they believe it would align with capturing more of the Canadian market.

Perhaps it's not entirely crazy given they own Whistler / Blackcomb, it would get them access to one more major metro market and they could pull some Quebecois to BC, but the exchange rate isn't beneficial to pull Canadians to Colorado.

Let's face it: Vail bought their next eastern resort chain and that was Triple Peaks. The deal was a good one to make. Triple Peaks is a stable, profitable going venture. The ownership was near retirement. It matches their goals. And did I say that they were profitable? Vail is not going to take on risky operations.

As much as I hate to say it, Jay/Burke are probably seen as risky ventures. Especially compared to Triple Peaks. The Canadian Dollar is weak and Montreal is Jay's ONLY big market. Burke has a good niche with the biker/ski racing crowd, but it is a very small market with not as much money.

Might as well quash the wild speculation that Vail will buy Saddleback. It is the same reason.

Vail can only afford to buy winners. I would love to be proven wrong by Vail buying one or more of these named ski areas.

Last edited:

drjeff

I wonder if/whether Vail or Alterra will make a move on Peak soon given the buying sprees they've been on in the recent past??

You get the some solid New York and Boston as well as Philly day trip market resorts, as well as a bunch of mid west properties and overall the infrastructure is in decent shape........

thetrailboss

Staff member
I wonder if/whether Vail or Alterra will make a move on Peak soon given the buying sprees they've been on in the recent past??

You get the some solid New York and Boston as well as Philly day trip market resorts, as well as a bunch of mid west properties and overall the infrastructure is in decent shape........

That, in my mind, would be the next logical move. Peaks has been struggling. Vail buys and then dumps some of the less-profitable entities.

GregoryIsaacs

I can easily see Vail licking their chops over the prospect of owning Mount Snow and Hunter. I hear they have like 8 pizza ovens between them!

benski

I bet vail moves to buy Wyndham next and maybe something even closer to New York to have options convenient. I here Wyndham’s owners are hedge fund managers who are looking to sell the place soon, and the high end clientele is right up Vail ally.