• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

CT/NY/MA Bootfitters and when to buy

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
I have Surefoot inserts in my boots and have always preferred them. My GF is in need of a custom footbed and fitting. We are more local to Okemo than Surefoot in Killington. I am debating going to BootPro in Ludlow. Their footbeds don't look like anything special, but she'll be able to pop in for tuneups more regularly than Killington. My sense though is once we get it right, she won't need to pop in at all.
thoughts?

Also try Peak Performance Ski shop in Killington. Awesome shop!

Domeskier

I have Surefoot inserts in my boots and have always preferred them. My GF is in need of a custom footbed and fitting. We are more local to Okemo than Surefoot in Killington. I am debating going to BootPro in Ludlow. Their footbeds don't look like anything special, but she'll be able to pop in for tuneups more regularly than Killington. My sense though is once we get it right, she won't need to pop in at all.
thoughts?

I would avoid Surefoot. They work great for some people, but their footbeds were absolute torture for me. I lost track of how many times I went back to them to have work done on the boots before I tossed them. A professional bootfitter who is not tied to any single brand is more likely to get her into a boot/footbed that is appropriate for her foot type. If she has a high instep or arches, a rigid footbed like Surefoot makes will probably do more harm than good. At least that was my experience.

heiusa

I would work with a boot fitter that is near the ski are you frequent the most, this way you if you need adjustments it can be done while you are at the mountain. We ski mostly at Killington and have had good luck with Northern Ski Works.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I ended up going with Alpine Haus in Wethersfield. Very nice staff. My guy was attentive to detail, worked with me, explained the process. I wasn't rushed at all or felt that my input was going unheard. It is on my way home from VT and they're open relatively late so it will work well if I need an adjustment made. They also worked on my old boots free of charge so I can use them for when I teach.

bigbog

.....A professional bootfitter who is not tied to any single brand is more likely to get her into a boot/footbed that is appropriate for her foot type. If she has a high instep or arches, a rigid footbed like Surefoot makes will probably do more harm than good. At least that was my experience.

+1

Especially if she has a rigid forefoot(ie as with low dorsiflexion)......she wants support but no extra rigidity(ie as with cork). Add me to the "in my experience".
$.01

Last edited: