• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poison ivy spotting

Edd

Article I just read with some basic info and some small hope for future treatments.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-spotting-poison-ivy-before-it-ruins-your-sum

I’ve had it twice, once from hiking in Sequoia National Park in CA and another time after my vehicle broke down off of 495 in Mass. Both were awful for me so I’m keenly interested in not catching again. Since the CA incident, I’ve never hiked in shorts again, nor will I.

The article states that the “leaves of 3” thing still holds true but I see shit like that all the time so I’m not confident in spotting it. It amazes me that we don’t have a stronger handle on treating cases after catching it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I got it so many times as a kid, I'm beginning to think I've become immune to it. It's been probably 20 years since I last got it. My childhood experiences with it were pretty awful. A few times resulted in having to go on a steroid treatment as my eyes became swollen shut.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Article I just read with some basic info and some small hope for future treatments.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-spotting-poison-ivy-before-it-ruins-your-sum

I’ve had it twice, once from hiking in Sequoia National Park in CA and another time after my vehicle broke down off of 495 in Mass. Both were awful for me so I’m keenly interested in not catching again. Since the CA incident, I’ve never hiked in shorts again, nor will I.

The article states that the “leaves of 3” thing still holds true but I see shit like that all the time so I’m not confident in spotting it. It amazes me that we don’t have a stronger handle on treating cases after catching it.

We eat the stuff in Pa. ....Its everywhere . Seriously people have different sensitivities. As a kid in a new house with parents that were clueless they pulled it off the trees and burned it . I had it everywhere, on one eye , it was a horrible week for me but one thing that helps is swim a heavily chlorinated pool .

I have tons of it on my property and rarely get it any more . My neighbor gets it from a distance . A couple years ago I cut a few trees down and the wind happened to be blowing toward her house 200' away . She had a moderate outbreak without even touching it.

We also have poison Sumac ..looks like a small walnut tree.

bdfreetuna

Interesting article, I'm glad they showed some varieties. Poison Ivy is really an interesting plant in all it's phenotypes and adaptations.

Never have caught it even after inadvertently rolling around in it as a kid. Not trying to test that theory but so far so good.

Really interesting plant though, to be honest I think the classification system is incorrect and there are at least a 2-3 sub-species. Poison Oak should also be a sub-species, it's hardly distinct from the shrubbier phenotypes of Poison Ivy itself. Poison Sumac isn't a true Sumac and basically another shrubby kind of Poison Ivy except with more leaves.

I've also seen *plenty* of 5 leaf poison ivy. While the 3 leaf thing is a good starting point, this plant is really closer to something like Marijuana where the number of leaves and shape of the leaves can greatly vary (within limits).

edit: should have specified the 5 leaf variety come in 2 types... one is regular poison Ivy with an extra pair of leaves down the stem. The second is 5 leaves coming out of the same axis, which is known as Virginia Creeper at least in our part of the country, but can have similar itchy/rash effects as Poison Ivy.

IMO all adaptive/phenotypical varieties of the same thing and take caution with certain 5 leaf look-alikes.

Last edited:

SkiFanE

My son has some now on his legs. He has had it probably 5 times. Took him to doctors twice for it. Once I swear he had some deadly herpes or something - it was awful looking. I had it tons as a kid too - so you'd think I'd recognize it. I worked with my dad construction since I was young and in middle school he sent time to yard of house he was building to clear near a stone wall. I'm doing as told - he looks out window and screams at me to stop. I was ripping out poison ivy bare handed. Still remember puss covered arms for track and field day - my fave day of year lol.

I get pissed by my neighbors and others that don't take it seriously. Twice my sons friends mother took him on same hike and both times he got it. I told her after first time to stay away from that path - but no.... like she can keep 8yo boys on a path lol.

Mt biking trails I use a lot have some spots of it. I just hope I don't fall in it.

Also - for ID besides 3 leaves it has a shinier and thicker look than most leaves. That's what usually catches my eye.

Glenn

Stuff is nasty. I got it a lot as a kid. I got it on my face a few times and they'd give me oral steroids to hep with the swelling. Had a different variety last summer when I was cutting down a tree. I was covered up head to toe with my cutting gear...but stupidly wore a t-shirt.

Nights are the worst. When I had it last year, it would wake me up at about 2-3AM with that itchiness.

I'll still get small bits of it when running the string trimmer now and again. It doesn't take much. I swear, I just have to be near it.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Poison ivy isn’t as shiny as posion oak , poision oak leaves are also a bit more rounded. Immature posion ivy is very dull and hard to distinguish from other weeds.

Edd

My concern is that both times I’ve gotten hit, I didn’t know it until a couple of days later. For all I know it wasn’t poison ivy, but something else. I’ve proven to be inept at spotting it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
My concern is that both times I’ve gotten hit, I didn’t know it until a couple of days later. For all I know it wasn’t poison ivy, but something else. I’ve proven to be inept at spotting it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

I went on a field trip when I was in the 6th grade ,I can remember my science teacher telling the kids to rub Jewel weed on themselves to prevent poison ivy . I always thought he was pranking us , It was funny watching 40 kids rip Jewel weed apart and rub it on their legs and arms . Apparently there is a folk remedy but it doesn't work .

https://www.wemjournal.org/article/S0953-9859(91)70066-1/pdf

Maybe some type of lotion before you go hiking might work?

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

Trying to figure out how my neighbor got it when I cut some trees down . If this video is accurate it doesn't become airborne. Thinking their dogs got into some and brought it home ?

gladerider

That was very interesting assuming he’s correct.

i got it a few years ago after a bike ride. i tried everything. the best method for the itchness was baking powder and vinegar.

i watched this video a couple of years ago. i clean myself after my bike rides. i haven't gotten it ever since.