• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

More Vintage WCAX Footage: Killington May 1997 Skiing

thetrailboss

Staff member
From the last year of SKI I think....or pretty close to it. Footage starts at 9:25 or so. This was from May 26, 1997 (or Memorial Day 1997):

WJenness

"And the race is on to see if the permits can be acquired THIS YEAR, for the long awaited Killington Pico connector."

#JustSayin

thetrailboss

Staff member
As promised......starting at 7:10 or so. Check out the great hair--particularly when they say "environmentalist"! This is from December 12, 1990:

Pez

These old newscasts are great. people were kinda ugly back then. lol

Killingtime

I know! 21 years later and ????

You have to put in relation to the Vermont political climate at the time. The Governor, Madeline Kunin, and her administration were opposed to pretty much any growth at ski resorts for environmental reasons. Killington had a particularly difficult time with some administration members openly stating that their ultimate goal was to put Killington out of business. Makes you wonder how much bigger and better some of the VT resorts could've been. I personally think the politicians at the time just didn't understand winter sports and frankly didn't care to either. It took them way too long to wake up and realize that people will just get on a plane and spend their money in Colorado or Utah.

thetrailboss

Staff member

You have to put in relation to the Vermont political climate at the time. The Governor, Madeline Kunin, and her administration were opposed to pretty much any growth at ski resorts for environmental reasons. Killington had a particularly difficult time with some administration members openly stating that their ultimate goal was to put Killington out of business. Makes you wonder how much bigger and better some of the VT resorts could've been. I personally think the politicians at the time just didn't understand winter sports and frankly didn't care to either. It took them way too long to wake up and realize that people will just get on a plane and spend their money in Colorado or Utah.

Spot on.

tumbler

Still sums up VT pretty well. State and local NIMBY's. I got my big house and land and nothing can change. Example- Waitsfield denying fledgling Green Mountain Coffee Roasters approvals to build a warehouse/distribution center in the town where they started. Instead they went to Waterbury and are paying taxes there. Another- Arguing that the Pitcher Inn cannot have 3 barstools at the bar. Older examples but still going on. Thankfully Waitsfield approved Lawson's to move into the old Valley Rent All.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Still sums up VT pretty well. State and local NIMBY's. I got my big house and land and nothing can change. Example- Waitsfield denying fledgling Green Mountain Coffee Roasters approvals to build a warehouse/distribution center in the town where they started. Instead they went to Waterbury and are paying taxes there. Another- Arguing that the Pitcher Inn cannot have 3 barstools at the bar. Older examples but still going on. Thankfully Waitsfield approved Lawson's to move into the old Valley Rent All.

I'm sorry, but someone got upset that the Pitcher wanted to have three barstools at the bar?!