• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Merger of the Week: Alterra to Buy Solitude (Utah)

raisingarizona

This is setting up to be a big "battle" between Alterra and Vail! With Alterra now having basically "surrounded" Vail's Park City Resort property..... :)

The interconnect is coming, or at least portions are going to happen.

I'm a big fan of it. I'd also love to see Colorado's response to the Utah interconnect.

Maybe bridge together A-Basin to Loveland and then over to Keystone? Vail to Minturn and then up to Beaver Creek? A Whistler type lift spanning over I-70 connecting Breck to Copper?

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Another reason Brighton becomes attractive as an acquisition to either entity.

Very true. I think it is undervalued. It is a frickin gold mine. Boyne prints money with that place. Lots of potential and it has a good market niche right now (locals) that could be expanded to get more out-of-towners. I am always surprised how few folks know about it outside of Utah.

thetrailboss

Staff member

I'm a big fan of it. I'd also love to see Colorado's response to the Utah interconnect.

Maybe bridge together A-Basin to Loveland and then over to Keystone? Vail to Minturn and then up to Beaver Creek? A Whistler type lift spanning over I-70 connecting Breck to Copper?

One Wasatch has been in the works for a while now. I have not heard or seen much about it lately. Right now we have people pissed about Alta building a small 10-person tram to the top of Baldy. So when One Wasatch talks start again you know that there is going to be a shitstorm even though the impacts and needed corridors are relatively minor.

BenedictGomez

Really nowhere near the same opportunity as Utah. I cant see connecting Loveland through Keystone, just not enough bang-for-the-buck logic to join those 3 areas IMO, and connecting Beaver Creek to Vail would take MILES of lifts, probably the longest on the planet, which, even with Vail's money would be pushing it probably.

Juxtapose that with OneWasatch, which IMO, would be a revolutionary economic opportunity. Every Wasatch area would gain domestic market share simply from the incredible uniqueness of the experience. You could start your day at Solitude or Snowbird and have lunch on Main Street in Park City. lol