• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Post July 1

drjeff

For me the biggest issue with THC/CBD products in whatever form is there is absolutely no way to know how "stoned" someone is. With alcohol, BAC can be measured and corrolated to enebriation - nothing exists with these.

And the attitude that it's less harmful than alcohol is a very apathetic though process. Brain cells are still retarded, lung cells are directly damaged when inhaled, it causes massive gastrointestinal issues in smaller but not insignificant portion of users, and leads to coronary issues. Besides the direct lung effects all relate to alcohol use as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
The even bigger issue when CBD/THC debates often happen, is that far too often the pro CBD/THC group are completely locked into the opinion that there is absolutely no negative effects, and often only beneficial effects from use, and the anti CBD/THC crowd is of the opinion that it's all bad and only negative effects.

The reality is that there are likely both good and bad parts to CBD/THC use/consumption, but not enough is known of the pros and cons to definitively say

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Pez

In 2018 it seems rude to smoke or vape anything near others who aren't partaking. No one wants to smell your cigarettes or your dirt weed.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Edd

Not smoking/vaping on a chair with strangers is VERY basic etiquette.

I very much agree. It’s weird to do it when it’s not obviously agreed upon by all present on a chair/gondy. Anyone that does that without explicit permission is either stupid or a teenager.

Dickc

I went skiing at Sunday River one morning with my son and his then girlfriend. They told me to go ahead of them so I ASSUMED they were going to smoke a cigarette. Got to the top of the lift and there was a ski patrol person intently staring at the lift. Asked him what was up as you usually do not see that. He said he was waiting for someone. A few chairs later off come my son and his girlfriend. As they skied over to me, the patrolman called them. Right behind them on the chair was the general manager of Sunday River, Dana Bullen. As I, at the time, owned real estate at Sunday River, I knew Dana casually. Dana at once noted that the kids skied over to me, and he skied up , looked right at me and asked, "Do these two belong to you"? I nodded and spoke, yes. Dana and the patrol chewed them out as Dana had visitors with them and did not appreciate the skunky smoke smell that wafted back at them, but did NOT pull their tickets. I can only think if I was not there that he would have. As they all left, I asked my son what on earth had prompted him to smoke weed on the chair in front of the resort general manager? His reply, "Gee. I did not know who he was" He knows now!!!!

sull1102

Speaking as one of the few younger guys on one plank not two on the forum I completely 120% agree that it is beyond assinine to smoke with kids on a lift. 9 times out of 10 I'm riding in the singles line, I'd probably say something right to the person within 60 seconds if I was riding the Bluebird and say there's was a parent and kid and another single rider or couple and they sparked up. That's beyond ridiculous and crossing a line. You can't wait until the next ride up in 10 minutes? Then somehow manage to not get on that chair if you are determined to smoke. That being said, if you're an adult of legal age and it's just you and friends and it's a quiet day and no kids are on the chairs around you...well you know the risk and your decisions are your business, just don't get caught dummy.

Then there's these people that kill themselves, Im talking like break through the gate almost knocking the 7 year old over to get on this chair practically falling over poles flying around, or slick racer boys, take it easy, especially midweek when the place is empty, weekends I get it a little bit. It's definitely frustrating when you don't even notice the guy who flew in behind you at the last second until your almost sitting on top of him(or her) and then the next 8 chairs behind are empty, just makes no sense to me.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

I have been on the blue bird before loading from the singles line and got on with a group of 5 that lit right up under the visor. I was sitting on the edge and tried to inhale the least amount possible and tried to get any fresh air I could. As I mentioned I am drug tested at work but used to smoke. Luckily half way up the idiots dropped the joint.

JimG.

Staff member
Nope, and I consider that a positive.

But I can certainly see how their clientel is similar.

The only response to this thread I cared to post until now.

I agree with snoseek I enjoy safety meetings in the trees. I don't want to smell other people's smoke or beverages. Especially on an enclosed lift. But I know folks who insist on partaking on lifts who don't care what other people think.

I'm not a fan of tension or self-righteousness.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I have been on the blue bird before loading from the singles line and got on with a group of 5 that lit right up under the visor. I was sitting on the edge and tried to inhale the least amount possible and tried to get any fresh air I could.

You didnt demand they put it out? That might be the most outrageous lift story I've ever heard.

BenedictGomez

I very much agree. It’s weird to do it when it’s not obviously agreed upon by all present on a chair/gondy. Anyone that does that without explicit permission is either stupid or a teenager.

Under poor parenting.

BenedictGomez

The reality is that there are likely both good and bad parts to CBD/THC use/consumption, but not enough is known of the pros and cons to definitively say

You'll know more about the negative effects of marijuana smoking in 10 or 20 years.

A big part of the problem with this is that, ironically, it being illegal made studying it accurately (or at all) nearly impossible. And the relatively few places in the world where it is legal aren't generally places that are going to spend the tens-of-millions of dollars necessary on large, placebo-controlled, double-blind, clinical studies with multi-year follow-ups. Another challenge I foresee to studying this is going to be patient recruitment, because so many marijuana smokers are also cigarette smokers. Those "dual smokers" will be a useful patient-set that needs to be concomitantly explored, but they'll need to recruit folks who've only smoked pot and haven't been tobacco-users, and that might be challenging for the CROs.

Smellytele

You'll know more about the negative effects of marijuana smoking in 10 or 20 years.

A big part of the problem with this is that, ironically, it being illegal made studying it accurately (or at all) nearly impossible. And the relatively few places in the world where it is legal aren't generally places that are going to spend the tens-of-millions of dollars necessary on large, placebo-controlled, double-blind, clinical studies with multi-year follow-ups. Another challenge I foresee to studying this is going to be patient recruitment, because so many marijuana smokers are also cigarette smokers. Those "dual smokers" will be a useful patient-set that needs to be concomitantly explored, but they'll need to recruit folks who've only smoked pot and haven't been tobacco-users, and that might be challenging for the CROs.

of all the pot smokers I have known well (20-25) in the past 20 years I can only think of 2 that have smoked tobacco.

JimG.

Staff member
of all the pot smokers I have known well (20-25) in the past 20 years I can only think of 2 that have smoked tobacco.

My experience as well.

Funny thing is that alcohol is legal and has been proven to be toxic to good health in many ways. So I'm not sure what the rational is to demonize pot as bad for your health.

BenedictGomez

I'd say of the people I knew (because virtually nobody smokes pot anymore) it was something like 40%, which though a minority is a big number when you're trying to find people for a study. Maybe it wouldnt be as hard as I think, but it's definitely something researchers will need to be mindful of early or they'll taint their data.

sull1102

Marijuana smoking, vaping, baking, or any other form of consumption is more prevalent and common now than at any other time in history, including even the good ol' 60's and 70's, and the numbers continue to grow year after year. In addition thanks to the legalization efforts nationwide studies have been and continue to be conducted so these myths will be debunked shortly. Like weed smokers also being cigarette smokers, not true. Maybe cigarette smokers are more likely to try weed once or twice or even once a year, that I can totally see, but those that smoke weed primarily very rarely are also cig smokers and I doubt the number of folks that tried weed then said cigarettes are the way to go is teeny tiny. Cigarettes have a much worse reputation now than weed does, especially with younger generations.

sull1102

You didnt demand they put it out? That might be the most outrageous lift story I've ever heard.

5 on 1. Smart idea is to wait till the top and not poke the bear, plus you aren't ski patrol, go get patrol that is part of why they are there.

GregoryIsaacs

5 on 1. Smart idea is to wait till the top and not poke the bear, plus you aren't ski patrol, go get patrol that is part of why they are there.

I've never met aggressive weed smokers like that.. you really think you would get beat up for asking to not smoke when you get drug tested? The amount of misconception on this thread is humorous. These aren't crack addicts we're dealing with here!

prsboogie

I've never met aggressive weed smokers like that.. you really think you would get beat up for asking to not smoke when you get drug tested? The amount of misconception on this thread is humorous. These aren't crack addicts we're dealing with here!
No they are not, just come across ignorant fucks who don't give two shits about anything but themselves is all.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk