• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vermont Post July 1

GregoryIsaacs

With the impending marijuana legalization set to begin in VT starting July 1, I was wondering if the vt ski industry will ever open up and promote the idea of smoking weed much like they have been treating alcohol for decades.

Ive heard rumblings about some mountains in MA advertising/promoting the subject since Q4 was approved but I could never see a big name like Stowe or Killy doing such a thing.

Regardless its always interesting being the fly on the wall to such a blaring conundrum for the local government and businesses.

VTKilarney

I am sure that their insurance carriers will love that idea.

Keep in mind that, while it is legal to possess small amounts of marijuana as of July 1, there is no legal mechanism for the sale of marijuana that was put into place. (Way to forego easy tax revenues, Vermont!)

slatham

Not sure how VT will handle it, but in Colorado many areas are on National Park land which is FEDERAL land where marijuana is not legal and they remind people of this or have an outright no pot policy.

Many of the VT areas are in the Green Mountain National Forest, which is also federal land.

There's also the issue of clientele. Do the resorts want to attract the stoner type, or the family type? Families will be drawn to areas that are explicit, if not aggressive, in adhering to a no skiing stoned policy. IMHO.

Personally I've never liked skiing (or surfing) stoned - there's enough of a natural high just enjoying the sport.

mbedle

Keep in mind that, while it is legal to possess small amounts of marijuana as of July 1, there is no legal mechanism for the sale of marijuana that was put into place. (Way to forego easy tax revenues, Vermont!)

I was reading a couple of articles about this and apparently in Maine they get around not being able to sell it by gifting the marijuana and charging a processing and packaging fee. I also read that even those the on your person limit is one ounce, the amount you can harvest at home is unlimited. What was very odd is Vermont's employee drug testing laws. Apparently an employer has to make you a written offer before they can request a drug test. Once you get employed, the employer and only drug test you in they have probable cause that you are using marijuana or its required by federal law (that doesn't seem to be correct, maybe someone has some insight into that). It also said that if you do test positive, the employer can not fire you, but instead has to offer you a chance at rehab. If you fail a second time after going through the rehab, they can fire you on the spot.

skimagic

Is VT planning on setting up a sale mechanism?
As for the GREEN mountain national Forest issue, only sugar Bush and Mt snow are partially on federal land, but not the base areas. Bromley and okemo are on private/state, Stratton is on private, Killington is on state. I can't see any of these areas promoting use, fine with me. Perhaps Magic, on private land, will be open to use.

deadheadskier

Staff member
VT has no plans for sale. Basically they're just legalizing what a lot of people do discreetly on their own; grow and possess small amounts for personal use. It's more widespread than you think. When I lived in Stowe I knew folks from restaurant and hospitality workers to doctors, nurses, a dentist, real estate agents, lawyers etc that all had small indoor grows.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

What would be the point of any ski areas promoting it? There's no revenue stream to take advantage of (unlike alcohol which they can sell and make money from).

GregoryIsaacs

What would be the point of any ski areas promoting it? There's no revenue stream to take advantage of (unlike alcohol which they can sell and make money from).

Well for one thing it can drive the most coveted two words of any ski area operation: pizza sales

benski

It’s the same deal as Netherlands. I did not tell you and you went, you would have no idea that every pot shop is illegal. I think they only have to hide there storage, and keep the amount of weed behind the counter to very small amounts. They never get caught acquiring and storing illegal amounts of weed.

Smellytele

Not sure how VT will handle it, but in Colorado many areas are on National Park land which is FEDERAL land where marijuana is not legal and they remind people of this or have an outright no pot policy.

Many of the VT areas are in the Green Mountain National Forest, which is also federal land.

There's also the issue of clientele. Do the resorts want to attract the stoner type, or the family type? Families will be drawn to areas that are explicit, if not aggressive, in adhering to a no skiing stoned policy. IMHO.

Personally I've never liked skiing (or surfing) stoned - there's enough of a natural high just enjoying the sport.

I know in CO they actually have had undercover feds skiing and busting people. Read a story about it happening at Wolf Creek.

crank

In Colorado it is not legal to smoke pot in public.

Is it legal to use in public anywhere?

drjeff

This is what Mount Snow posted about cannabis use on property in their most recent blog post this week, ahead of their "Rock the Roots" music festival in about 10 days, where Sublime is the headliner....

"[h=2]Q: I HEARD THAT CANNABIS IS LEGAL IN VERMONT AS OF JULY 1ST? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN FOR ME?[/h][FONT=&quot]A: While Vermont has legalized cannabis for recreational use as of July 1st, 2018, it is still not legal to use cannabis in public places such as Mount Snow, so please leave it at home!"

I think that will sum up the official policy that ski resorts will take the way the law is written[/FONT]

slatham

Is VT planning on setting up a sale mechanism?
As for the GREEN mountain national Forest issue, only sugar Bush and Mt snow are partially on federal land, but not the base areas. Bromley and okemo are on private/state, Stratton is on private, Killington is on state. I can't see any of these areas promoting use, fine with me. Perhaps Magic, on private land, will be open to use.

Interesting I thought more were on GMNF land. Looking at a detailed map of the southern section it looks like part of Mt Snow and the very upper part of Haystack are on GMNF land. And as you said, Sugarbush up north. It would appear most the "park land" I was thinking was GMNF is actually STATE park, with most areas on State land.

But elsewhere the relevant point was made - it is still illegal to "light up" in public......

shwilly

For what it's worth, I didn't notice much of a difference in Maine last season. Safety meetings in the woods weren't exactly uncommon to begin with. I don't recall anyone being particularly brazen, though. Probably people will just keep on doing what they were doing.

SkiFanE

For what it's worth, I didn't notice much of a difference in Maine last season. Safety meetings in the woods weren't exactly uncommon to begin with. I don't recall anyone being particularly brazen, though. Probably people will just keep on doing what they were doing.

i can't keep laws straight lol...been doing what I been doing for years without issue. That being said - Bethel ME Citizen had an ad for $250 grinders, delivered with free marijuana. Lol. Don't know the loophole they're getting around.

prsboogie

In Colorado it is not legal to smoke pot in public.

Is it legal to use in public anywhere?
It is illegal to smoke in any state in public or in your vehicle. Private property that allows you to smoke only.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

rebel1916

With the impending marijuana legalization set to begin in VT starting July 1, I was wondering if the vt ski industry will ever open up and promote the idea of smoking weed much like they have been treating alcohol for decades.

Ive heard rumblings about some mountains in MA advertising/promoting the subject since Q4 was approved but I could never see a big name like Stowe or Killy doing such a thing.

Regardless its always interesting being the fly on the wall to such a blaring conundrum for the local government and businesses.

I have no problems with weed used privately, but when I go skiing with the fam, I don't wanna share the lift with some boom boom huck jam kid blazing up. The upper crust types that all the Vt resorts cater to are not likely to be cooler about it than I am. I am worth considerably less to the resort than the Boston or NY money contingent, but I am worth way more per day than the average pothead kid. Dollars and sense, bro.