• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ikon Pass

cdskier

Well I still dont know what you mean, because skiing it is even easier than hiking it.

From Stowe to Smuggs it's downhill and if you keep your speed you can make it basically gliding the entire way. From Smuggs to Stowe it requires some light xc skiing over a small section of the pond & then a few hundred feet of uphill skating, but it's not a big deal at all for anyone Intermediate or higher. I dont see why you think this is so "very challenging" of an ordeal. Have you ever done it?

Maybe I should have been more clear that when I said "hiking" I was referring to any form of travel using your legs/feet (including skiing) as compared to using some form of mechanical travel (a lift, shuttle, etc). How "easy" the hike/ski itself is does not matter. Even a 5 minute hike across flat terrain will turn off many (or most) people. You're not looking at this from an "average" skier perspective. You will never be able to market Stowe/Smuggs as a single mega resort to the general public if you do not have a lift. And that simply is extremely unlikely to happen at this point.

BenedictGomez

You're not looking at this from an "average" skier perspective. You will never be able to market Stowe/Smuggs as a single mega resort to the general public if you do not have a lift.

I think you could.

And even if you cant "physically" connect them, why not a fleet of say......6....snowcats? Each holds 12 people, run 3 in each direction. Market it as a unique experience. Probably about 20 minutes each way, maybe a touch less. I really dont see this as insurmountable. You revive & advertise Snuffy's Trail for intermediates & experts, you run a few snowcats for beginners and lazy people.

Smellytele

I think you could.

And even if you cant "physically" connect them, why not a fleet of say......6....snowcats? Each holds 12 people, run 3 in each direction. Market it as a unique experience. Probably about 20 minutes each way, maybe a touch less. I really dont see this as insurmountable. You revive & advertise Snuffy's Trail for intermediates & experts, you run a few snowcats for beginners and lazy people.

Snow cats running would be even have even more environmental issues

cdskier

I think you could.

Here's why not a fleet of snowcats:

Human activity in this unit is limited to pedestrian uses, with two
exceptions: Vermont Route 108 brings vehicles through Smugglers
Notch and will remain in use; and the alpine ski trails are
maintained during the ski season with groomers. The groomers are
not allowed on Sterling Pond.

TheArchitect

I suppose you could say environment impact is the "only issue", however it is a monumental issue considering it would involve crossing or running along the Long Trail between the two resorts on state forest land.

I wasn't trying to minimize the difficulty of it by saying "only". I was just trying to single it out.

abc

Even a 5 minute hike across flat terrain will turn off many (or most) people. You're not looking at this from an "average" skier perspective. You will never be able to market Stowe/Smuggs as a single mega resort to the general public if you do not have a lift. And that simply is extremely unlikely to happen at this point.
Hmmm... I'm not sure I buy that. Plenty of other mountains have long flat connector trails to access some part of their terrain.

Are you saying the Mentazuma Bowl is not "physically" connected to A-basin? The "connection" requires a rather energetic skate which many can't manage. Boarders, have no choice but to take off their board and walk. Yet, you see plenty of INTERMEDIATE skiers and boarders in Zumi bowl.

In the northeast, Mountain Creek and Vernon Valley comes to mind, and indeed many don't go over. But plenty do go over too. The new terrain in Big Sky also entails long flat trails to access. But that's what keeps those terrain nice and quiet, a setup many like.

Heck, you have to take off your ski to get from Stowe to Spruce even WITH the gondola! Why do you think the Smug link is so much worse than Spruce?

If I were Vail and Smug is for sale, I'd definitely buy it and combine them. I bet you a good 30% of visitor WILL go over just to check it out. And very likely a good many will stay and ski in Smug till the end of day.

BenedictGomez

Here's why not a fleet of snowcats:

Human activity in this unit is limited to pedestrian uses, with two
exceptions: Vermont Route 108 brings vehicles through Smugglers
Notch and will remain in use
; and the alpine ski trails are
maintained during the ski season with groomers. The groomers are not allowed on Sterling Pond.

Except the very route you posted as an "exception" is the very route the snowcats would be taking.

I'm thinking you're not very familiar with Smuggler's Notch & Stowe.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Except the very route you posted as an "exception" is the very route the snowcats would be taking.

I was thinking snow cats over the top aka sterling pond. Also Snow cats through the notch may interrupt the millions of snowmobiles that go through there.

cdskier

So now you're interpreting "maintained with groomers" to mean you can transport people back and forth? A fleet of snowcats running back and forth all day on the old Snuffy's trail is not in line with the use restrictions for that area.

Or if you meant run the snowcats on 108 through the notch itself, then that would need to be defined as an allowable use within the Smugglers Notch Scenic Highway Corridor Plan. Couldn't find a copy of that online, but something tells me it isn't a defined allowable use.

WJenness

Or if you meant run the snowcats on 108 through the notch itself, then that would need to be defined as an allowable use within the Smugglers Notch Scenic Highway Corridor Plan. Couldn't find a copy of that online, but something tells me it isn't a defined allowable use.

Not to mention: how long (timewise) is a 10 mile cat ride?

Seems... excessive.

FBGM

Anyone who buys an epic pass or especially Peaks pass rides the short bus. Ikon best value and best ski. Hands down.

KustyTheKlown

peaks pass makes no damn sense.

epic has its arguments. one of my best ski buddies loves stowe, the beer scene around stowe, and wants to eventually buy a vacation home in stowe. for him, the inclusion of unlimited stowe was enough. for me, it's not. i dont want to put on that many miles or time in the car. i also ski 40-50 days a season and he skis 20-30. for him, stowe + breck/beaver/vail/whistler is enough. i disagree. but different strokes.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Opinions vary, but for me as primarily a weekend skier, I'll take Cannon or Wildcat on the weekends over pretty much anywhere in New England. I slightly prefer Wildcat and that pass comes with Crotched and Attitash to mix it up. Not interested in dealing with the weekend crowds at the areas offered with Ikon or Epic.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app