• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ikon Pass

machski

Why do you think they didn't get a sweetheart deal (not that there is anything wrong with that)? There is no discussion about the deal in the article.
I had heard he got offered a sweetheart deal he couldn't refuse (as in Alterra came to him). This article refutes that, JK states he was the one who approached Alterra and pushed for them to buy Crystal from him. I am sure he got a good price, but I don't think it was over the moon given he was the courter.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

MadPadraic

I haven't heard much about Crystal. Would it be worth flying across the country to go there compared to some of the other Ikon resort options? Or is it more of a place for locals that live there?

Yes. Crystal is one of the few mountains I've been to that has terrain that actually scares me. Silver Queen (at least early season) is very intense and Northway has some bat-shit insane entrances. That being said, the intermediate terrain in green valley is superb: blue terrain with a cornice! Also, there are some very fun trees. The single blacks scattered throughout (and especially in Northway) are crazy fun. All this being said, most of their singles would rate as doubles at most resorts (East or West).

Their is no resort feel, nor is there a cute town to visit near by. The village has a good vibe, but your choices are limited. I normally like to stay within walking distance of the lifts, but here I'd recommend staying at Alta Crystal.

Crystal is certainly challenging. Lucked into a bluebird day after a decent night's snowfall and fell in love with the place. A few pics:

DSC07369.jpgDSC07361.jpgDSC07379.jpgDSC07364.jpg

MadPadraic

Is that Silverqueen in the 1st picture, and then bear's whatever in the last one? If I was in a position to priceline a trip to a storm, I wouldn't hesitate going to Crystal. However, I was organizing a long weekend getaway with a bunch of pals who tire easily, I'd head to Steamboat.

First pic is the aforementioned Northway chair. Hairy entrances from the top, but mellower as you ski down. Spent half my day skiing this part of Crystal as it had some great trees!