Ikon Pass - Page 13

AlpineZone

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Ikon Pass

Quote Originally Posted by x10003q View Post
    Why do you think they didn't get a sweetheart deal (not that there is anything wrong with that)? There is no discussion about the deal in the article.
    I had heard he got offered a sweetheart deal he couldn't refuse (as in Alterra came to him). This article refutes that, JK states he was the one who approached Alterra and pushed for them to buy Crystal from him. I am sure he got a good price, but I don't think it was over the moon given he was the courter.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by speden View Post
    I haven't heard much about Crystal. Would it be worth flying across the country to go there compared to some of the other Ikon resort options? Or is it more of a place for locals that live there?
    Yes. Crystal is one of the few mountains I've been to that has terrain that actually scares me. Silver Queen (at least early season) is very intense and Northway has some bat-shit insane entrances. That being said, the intermediate terrain in green valley is superb: blue terrain with a cornice! Also, there are some very fun trees. The single blacks scattered throughout (and especially in Northway) are crazy fun. All this being said, most of their singles would rate as doubles at most resorts (East or West).

Their is no resort feel, nor is there a cute town to visit near by. The village has a good vibe, but your choices are limited. I normally like to stay within walking distance of the lifts, but here I'd recommend staying at Alta Crystal.

some of those northway gated cornice entries are wild wild stuff.
    ~the stars turn, and a time presents itself~

Crystal is certainly challenging. Lucked into a bluebird day after a decent night's snowfall and fell in love with the place. A few pics:

DSC07369.jpgDSC07361.jpgDSC07379.jpgDSC07364.jpg

Thread Information