• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

what music do you like to ski to?

The Sneak

I never understood the preppy New England kid predilection for jam bands.

Last edited:

The Sneak

..anyways having said that it’s nice to see Ty Segall and the Growlers mentioned in this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Sneak

It’s not just Vermont hippies, trust me. I went to UMaine Farmington, and a catholic high school in Mass prior to that, and it seemed like everyone loved jam bands.

To me, jam bands are the opposite of what made rock and roll - think Chuck Berry to MC5 to Iggy to Ramones etc - exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawk

You know I grew up in that era (the Punk Era)and there was a lot of cool things happening in the underground scene. New York was the place but Boston did have some good stuff. I saw Morphine in Cambridge long before they were popular and the neighborhoods and the Fools at the channel. That was a fun time. But as I got older I started taking keyboard lessons and learning music. Jazz and Blues were all I liked after the 90's were over. Now I listen to everything except rap. I can honestly say that the stereotype that sneak feels he should cast is pretty far from the norm. Also some of the jam music is pretty dam good. Not every day but sometimes you just need to embrace the conversational and improvisational vibe.

bdfreetuna

It’s not just Vermont hippies, trust me. I went to UMaine Farmington, and a catholic high school in Mass prior to that, and it seemed like everyone loved jam bands.

To me, jam bands are the opposite of what made rock and roll - think Chuck Berry to MC5 to Iggy to Ramones etc - exciting.

Phish was pretty exciting for a few years in the early-mid 90s. If you listen to some shows from 1992 or 1994 or even some 1997 (best years imo) you'd probably figure out why they became so popular even if it's not your thing. Most of the jam bands that are well known are so for a reason, even if they had a brief peak of originality and energy.

Now I almost never listen to it and certainly have no taste for anything recent. But at the time it was a hot scene and they were really on fire.

BenedictGomez

Where are these so-called VT prepsters hiding? Most youth I see are borderline hippies (and no, not hipsters).

It's a total act for many of them.

They look dirty & act impoverished, but they're really from Greenwich, Connecticut, & their parent's work for hedge funds & Fortune 500 companies. They "out" themselves when they get in their brand new, fully-loaded, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokees with a $2,800 Trek mountain bike on top. Cant tell you how many times I saw that scene repeat itself when I lived in Burlington. Never understood it, some sort of weird childlike form of "rich guilt" psychosis.

ThinkSnow

It's a total act for many of them.

They look dirty & act impoverished, but they're really from Greenwich, Connecticut, & their parent's work for hedge funds & Fortune 500 companies. They "out" themselves when they get in their brand new, fully-loaded, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokees with a $2,800 Trek mountain bike on top. Cant tell you how many times I saw that scene repeat itself when I lived in Burlington. Never understood it, some sort of weird childlike form of "rich guilt" psychosis.

Wasn't speaking about UVM students in Burlington, or out of state visitors.