• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 2/21/2007 (night)

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Wednesday, 2/21/2007, 7:25 pm - 10:00 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown, New Hartford, CT

Conditions: LSGR/Harpack bumps, Temps in the high 20's/low 30's, Clear, Calm.

Trip Report: Flew solo again tonight (come on guys - Wednesday nights, remember? ;) ) Got a later start than I wanted clicking in around 7:25. Managed to get in 16 runs on Nor'easter. It took until run 6 for things to click. The bumps were good and are taking on a more spring-like feel. No real icey troughs and mostly LSGR tops. The far right line on Nor'easter is the best and really the only line where you can hold almost a top-to-bottom rhythm. There is a set of small bumps in that line near the Temptor merge that require very quick turns. If you don't nail them, your boots get slammed together. Also just before the last drop, the line totally blows up into a sweeping berm. Either you make the line change before it or after it, but either way the line changes. The rest of the lines on Nor'eater pretty much suck. My theory is that only advanced skiers are confident enough to ski near the trees so the line that formed there is, well, an advanced skier line. Not huge bumps there, but consistent and fun. There are some funky drop offs here and there on other areas of Nor'easter. I went down once tonight. Slamming into these still pretty firm bumps is not fun, but no damage was done.

Exhibition is a mess. Line of 6-8 turns, at best and then whoa.........big line correction. They are more skiable (softer) but the beginners really trashed them. Still better than groomed hard pack...

Saw a kid filming hits in the terrain park. Some pretty creative set-ups - i.e. laying in front of the kicker! :-o I dropped him a card and asked him to post them here at some point. All in all a good night. A bit sloppy skiing tonight, but always good to log the miles. See you guys next week (or not.... ;) ).

bvibert

Staff member
Good theory on the far right line, I know that fact that it's close to the trees has made nervous a few times. That might be because I bit it on that line the other day and slid down into the trees. I thought I might be in trouble for a minute there. :eek:

Glad you had a good time, I've been waiting for the report so I can go to bed. ;)