• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Berkshire East - 2/23/2007

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Friday, 2/23/2007, 8:30 am - 4:00 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Berkshire East, Charlemont, Massachusetts

Conditions: Powder, Crud, Natural snow, some areas of thin cover (some areas of no cover...), Temps in the 20's, Mostly sunny am, Mostly cloudy pm, Breezy.

Trip Report: Tough to believe that we could have a better day than we did last Friday at Magic, but we did! Berkshire East needs to be skied with some natural snow to truly enjoy its offerings. Today we had plenty of it.

Met up with bvibert, Grassi21, and ALLSKIING in the commuter lot in my town at 6 am. We made it to Berkshire East around 8:15 and had plenty of time to leisurely boot up, grab our lift tickets and still be in line before the chair started loading. We got about the 8th and 9th chairs and didn't quite score first tracks down Liftline, but there was still plenty of untracked for Brian, Dave and me. The mountain picked up about 5" and it was clear from this first run that the day would totally rock.

We spent the morning hitting Liftline, Minnie Dole, UMASS, Jug, East Glades, Flying Cloud, and Dave and I even did a recon to the Beast! We also met up with Jeremy Clark, Beast marketing guy, and took a few runs with him. After a quick lunch shortly after 11 am, we headed back out. Dave and Chris called it around 3 pm and Brian and I skied right up until 4 pm. Today was my best day this season. I skied strong and aggressively all day and felt great and full of energy. Sweet day for sure. I think I did a solid job showing the guys around. Trail breakdown:

Liftline: More than adequate cover. Ton of fun and we hit it many times including dropping in right from the summit shack. Good snow to be found all day, with some dirt, ice and other junk poking through. It really skied great all day though. Chris hit it from the traverse from the bottom.

Flying Cloud: Good snowmaking base with bumps and powder under the double. The lower section was all natural with more small bumps with some dirt troughs.

Jug: Classic natural trail. Got progressively thinner throughout the day, but it held up well all day. Soft bumps and crud. I love this trail!

East Glades: I took Brian and Dave into this tree run from the top. I thought they were both gonna kill me. Took a while to find the top section which basically had no snow at all as it all blew of. We basically just traversed it in an effort to minimize base damage. We all navigated down fine and the lower section skied great. Plenty of snow.

UMASS: Steep snowmaking run. Great cover early. Some scrape and blown off snow at the top later in the day.

Blizzard Island: Sweet cover. Great intermediate glade that Chris seemed to really enjoy.

BEAST: We ducked the rope to go Beast hunting. :blink: This run looks like it can be awesome with the right conditions, but today was not the day. Very thin at the top, a bit better in the middle, and actually pretty good for the final chute at the bottom. I thought Dave was gonna kill me again on this one. ;) Not a great run, but worth scoping out for better days. Super steep semi-gladed trail. No joke at all and hardest run in SNE, bar none.

Grizzly: A patroller noticed us scoping Grizzly while he was farting around with a "Closed" sign. He finally called over, "You can ski it if you want, but it's ugly." He skied around via UMASS and waited for us at the bottom. After hitting it, I skied over to him and said, "Your definition of 'ugly' is far different than mine." :lol: Cool that he let us hit it and made sure we all made it down. Mostly powder for me the entire run!

We also skied many of the natural intermediate trails which was also fun. The 5" of snow skied like more than that. Beast also skis bigger than its 1,180' vert would suggest. The snow quality today was perfect. We expected heavy dense snow; we got fluff. Awesome skiing today!

Anyway, I hope I did the mountain justice and did a good job showing the guys around. Brian and Chris had one day there each, and Dave had never been. Great company today and it was cool to see all of us push our limits a bit today. Got a bunch of video, as did Brian and Dave. I'll get something put together soon. Not counting lunch, 7.5 hours of hard skiing today and I'm shot. Dave gets the dedication award for leaving his house at 3:15 am to make the meet-up in time. Nice job, Dave! :beer:

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Grassi21

Great time today. After today I love the crud and nat. Great meeting Dave and really pushing myself today. I would have to say today is top 3 for best days in my short career. Getting fresh tracks on lower competition was a sweeeeeet feeling. Challenging myself on Liftline, Flying Cloud, Jug, and in the woods of Blizzard Island was encouraging. I def want to hit Blizzard after the next storm..... and there will be another good storm.

After skiing my butt off today, seeing a traffic jam on 84 East, and coming home to a tired prego wife, we decided to bag our trip to the Cape. I love it when we agree. :) Captain Morgan and I will be on the couch for the next few hours. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Jeff

Hey, I was wondering whether you would reccomend it to me for tomorrow, as I am goin somewhere in MA and my choice was Berkshire East, never been there before and I saw it is the biggest in MA, if you could choose to go anywhere in MA, what would you reccomend?
Thanks,
JEFF

Greg

Staff member
Walked in the door at 10:00:blink: Sweet day great to meet Brian and Chris!! I am past shot....

At some point through my second beer, I looked at the clock this evening around 9 pm and realized you might not even be home yet. You are a dedicated skier for sure. Hope Beast was worth the long day for you.

Greg

Staff member
Hey, I was wondering whether you would reccomend it to me for tomorrow, as I am goin somewhere in MA and my choice was Berkshire East, never been there before and I saw it is the biggest in MA, if you could choose to go anywhere in MA, what would you reccomend?
Thanks,
JEFF

Depends on what you like. If you like gnarley natural snow terrain, Beast. If you like groomed snow, Jiminy. Welcome Jeff!

Too burnt for any video editing. Pics will have to do for now. Click for larger versions.

Beast Lodge when we arrived:

Waiting to load:

Liftline (one of today's best runs):

Brian and Dave on the triple:

Some guys ski thin cover. We ski no cover:

Brian and Dave cursing Greg:

Greg

Staff member
Beast!

Dave on Beast right after losing a ski:

Dave on Flying Cloud:

East Glades:

Got some great video of everybody too. Look for my vid sometime this weekend, hopefully. Good night!

Newpylong

Yipes, the woods look rough. The rest - looks awesome. I am jealous.

The reason why it skis different than 1170 vertical is because on the books its actualy a touch less than a 1000! : )

Greg

Staff member
I heard a rumor that there are some photos of Alpine Zoners in the Berkshire East web site's photo archive

Cool! :)

Yipes, the woods look rough. The rest - looks awesome. I am jealous.
Don't let those pics fool you. The glades that were open were good. Lower East Glades and Blizzard Island had plenty of cover. Upper east Glade and Beast? Not so much. Never got in Tomahawk, but Jug had plenty of snow. The videos will reflect that.

The reason why it skis different than 1170 vertical is because on the books its actualy a touch less than a 1000! : )
Why do you say that? Whether Berkshire East skis big or not, there is certainly more vert than Catamount or Butternut which both claim 1,000'.

I feel like I was hit by a bus this morning. :blink: It's a good feeling though....

Grassi21

I agree. I have a pass to Catamount. I love the place. Nice groomers, interesting terrain, a steep run in Catapult, and bumps on Offstage. The Beast is a whole different animal. The natural snow really kicks your butt. I think that same truck that hit Greg hit me too. I feel hung over this AM and it wasn't from the two drinks I had last night. If we get another storm with 4+ inches, you will find me at the Beast!

BeanoNYC

Dave gets the dedication award for leaving his house at 3:15 am to make the meet-up in time. Nice job, Dave! :beer:

Thanks guys!

Not sure if many people can appreciate how tough it is to get out skiing in Mass/VT/NH/Maine from Dave's location. It's either a ferry to New London or an hour and a half or so Drive WEST just to head North East again. Dave and Val win the "hardcore" award in my book! :beer:

Greg

Staff member
Ok Greg you have been home for 12hours where is the video??? This is ridiculous to have to wait this long im disappointed in you.

Ha! I know. Slacker. Working on it here and there. About half done...

2knees

Ha! I know. Slacker. Working on it here and there. About half done...

watching this video will make me further regret going to work friday, im sure.

take your time greg, i already know i made the wrong choice.

Greg

Staff member
watching this video will make me further regret going to work friday, im sure.

take your time greg, i already know i made the wrong choice.

It will and you did. Sorry, dude. Just keeping it real... ;)

It should be available within 30 mins. YouTube version a bit longer...

bvibert

Staff member
A great trip for sure! My legs and knees are a little sore today, but not too bad. Guess I wasn't skiing quite hard enough.

It was a pleasure to finally meet Allskiing, and nice to make turns with Greg and Grassi again. Definitely a WAY better impression of the place than the only other time I was there a couple of years ago for my first AZ gathering. Greg did a great job of leading us around the mountain, though I could have done without the excursion into upper East Glades, which look a LOT better in the pictures than they were in real life. No real damage to the skis though, no core shots or anything, just a few deepish scratches and some thoroughly trashed edges. :)