• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pico Mountain, February 23, 2007: Going for Seconds

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: February 23, 2007

Resort or Ski Area: Pico Mountain

Conditions: P/Moguls

Weather: Sunny skies, some wind, and highs in the teens.

2006-2007 Trip Report # : 36

Trip Report: Back again. Yes, you read it right and are probably doing a double take like the lifties at the Outpost. I pulled in at 11am or so...would have been earlier had I not left my boots at school and had to drive back 8 miles into the trip or so :roll: Got a great parking spot and had no problem getting a spot to sit and have lunch before heading out. Blue skies and some wind. The crowds were sparse compared to yesterday.

The game plan was to hit the summit first in case the winds closed the lift. It was a good choice. The wind was out of the N and was persistent, but not enough to close any lifts.

First run was down Summit Glades to 49er and then Sunset Schuss. Summit Glades were good still....deeper bumps and 49er was no bad on the bottom. Sunset Schuss was nice...it had been groomed at one point. It is nice and quiet and leads into the same country as C Slope and Summit Glades West.

Next run was down Upper KA to Birch Glades to find some good snow. Found it and then ducked into Lower KA. After that I went back to the Summit Glades for a run down it all. I took Summit Glades West, which involves more walking than the East side. Some nice snow all the same. Nice and quiet too. The bumps on Lower Summit Glades are better than on top.

I decided to hit Upper Sunset '71 since I had not skied it in a while. Some windblown spots up high, but I was able to find some soft snow by hugging the edges. Lower down was surprisingly good....in fact the upper part had scared many folks away. Some nice drifted pow. I ducked onto Middle and Lower KA....great shape and some nice rolls and dips. That trail never gets boring.

I took one more run down Summit Glades (on the top to avoid the ice) to 49er, which had some soft stuff on extreme left, and then ducked into Lower Summit Glades (East). Just too good. C Slope was nice as well.

After a warm up, I headed back out to brave A-Slope again. A-Slope Cutoff was mint...drifted pow from B Slope had filled it in. I was :D the entire way. A Slope was more windblown, but the former T-Bar line was great (as in the T-Bar by the condos). I hit A Slope and found that I was getting tired....not skiing it as well as I had yesterday. One more spin down A Slope Cutoff before heading to the Outpost.

The lifties recognized this mug and joked with me. First run was down Sidewinder. Nice stuff...upper headwall was doable. Then Doozie where I met a Dad who was hiking back up the steep section to "save his skis." I skied it better than yesterday finding some nice lines. The opening salvo was better than yesterday....snow had been spread out. Beware of those rocks and stumps though. Next was Wrangler, which was great. Soft snow and good bumps.

I did Bronco once and promised that was it. But my line was just too good and Eduardo, the liftie, pressured me into doing another run :wink: So I did. My legs were burning as I popped those turns. After this, I headed back down and headed out at about 3:30pm.

Another great day. Rode the lift with some nice folks, including a family who skis at West Mountain in NY. Great to be back at Pico and skiing the good stuff...the trails I have dreams the night before I ski the place :wink: