• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 2/23/07- 24 Hours of Skiing

Zand

Date(s) Skied: 2/23/07 (and 2/24/07 technically)

Resort or Ski Area: Wachusett Mountain, MA

Conditions: PP, Windblown

Trip Report:

Skiied from 5 PM to 7 AM in this year's edition of the 24 hours of skiing. Once again, a huge turnout for the event. Things went smoothly this year and boy did time fly. Temps got down to around 0 with a biting wind chill due to 30+ MPH wind gusts. Not much else to say so here's the trail by trail.

Conifer: Did 2 runs on it around 2 before the overnight grooming. At that point, it was the best trail on the mountain as it had the least windblown areas. Stuck to skiers right which had a lot of nice loose stuff.

10th: Did it a few times before overnight grooming which were pretty good with the usual loose stuff to skiers right and more scraped to the middle. The mound at the bottom now has a lip. I hit it full speed not expecting the lip and all of a sudden I was wind milling like 10 feet off the ground. Lol. After grooming, the run was VERY fast and the snow was perfect PP everywhere. They had Upper Salamander open after grooming although it was still dark out. There's enough light from the trails next to it to see a little bit, plus there were no hazards due to grooming.

Smith: Hit it once before evening grooming and it was windblown pretty bad. Not much fun then. Went back after overnight grooming and it was mint the entire way. Polar Express had a 10 minute wait until about 2, then a 2 minute wait until 4, then ski on. It was in full speed until about 10 when they slowed it down quite a bit.

Hitchcock: The 4 mounds at the top were good for getting some decent air off of. After that conditions were good for the rest of the trail. Snuck over to the Vickery Liftline for one run which was a bit rocky but enough lines were present to make it out OK.

Look Mom: They've added a few new rails in the last week. It was pretty crowded in there around midnight which made conditions deteriorate, but they groomed it around 3 and it was very nice after that. They also recut the pipe and it was good after that.

Ralph's: Very fun all night. Ducked into the trees a few times until I was caught by a ski patroller when I was in there in the morning. "I know you're trying to have fun, but you gotta stay out of there. If it were up to me I wouldn't care, but it's the MA state law." So I kept it on the trail after that. There were some decent lines in those woods.

Well, that wraps up my coverage for the overnight portion of the 24 hours of skiing. IDK whats coming up for me, I might get to Wachusett one night this week. Still have Stowe and Killington coming up in March and maybe a day trip to Sunapee in there too.