• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vftt

montvm

I have a quesiton about this VFTT forum site.

I would like to register but when i try to it comes up saying that registration has been disabled by administrator.

Does that mean that that they are no longer accepting new members??

I have sent a couple of emails but have not got a response. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks
Mike

SilentCal

I believe that signing up on VFTT is now done on a referal basis. I am not sure how often new members are added nor how often the referals are looked at.

montvm

Referal eh?

Ok that seems strange. I wonder why, i'm sure that there must be a logical reason. Ok just curious.

Thanks for the info

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I believe that signing up on VFTT is now done on a referal basis. I am not sure how often new members are added nor how often the referals are looked at.
wow, elitist outdoor forums? i have followed trip reports for a while on VFTT but rarely use their forums. i am already registered, but if they are requiring referrals for membership, i may just avoid the site altogether.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
VFTT is far from the only site out there that requires referrals. As far as I know, the referral is simply to ensure that human non-spammers are signing up. VFTT in particular had a ton of uncontrolled growth at one point and there were also people who got themselves banned for bad behavior and came back under different names.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
VFTT is far from the only site out there that requires referrals. As far as I know, the referral is simply to ensure that human non-spammers are signing up. VFTT in particular had a ton of uncontrolled growth at one point and there were also people who got themselves banned for bad behavior and came back under different names.
forum software can handle most spammer bots through a combination of "fill in the blank" letters and email confirmations. those occasional ones that get through are par for the course of running a forum and can be handled quickly by a small but responsive moderating team (like the great team here at AZ, cheers!). i have seen certain social networking sites require referrals, usually either to control growth or promote elitism, but i have never seen this heavy handed control implemented on a forum. it seems excessive. it isn't my forum, my community, or my money going into that web site though, so who am i to judge?

montvm

OK Please Simmer Down

I did not entend this to become a politcal topic, i was just asking the question to find out what was going on. I have received an email from VFTT explaining what the process is. Was not trying to start an argument about what their process is or how they control their forum, i was just looking for information about it.

Thanks for everryone's help

Mike

bruno

one of the moderators is a real good guy. the owner of the site and the other moderator are very childish. they take hikin' way too seriously. my 2 cents.:argue: :argue: :argue: :argue:

and yeah the moderators here are purty cool!:flag: :snow:

Last edited:

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
VftT has had problems in the past with posters who didn't fit well with the spirit of the site. Darren (the owner) decided to shut off new registrations as it was just a few folks that were causing most of the issues. I never felt that they were bad people (well, not most of them) but they just didn't mesh with the vision Darren had for the site. Over time, we've started taking new members that were referred by others. The site has critical mass so it doesn't really require an influx of new blood, but I think the new members (and new forums) have kept things lively.

The easiest way to become a member there is to hike with another member (it's fairly easy to get in touch with folks) and then have one sponsor you via email to Darren. He usually batches up the requests and adds people every few weeks.

While spamming could be an issue, it was never the reason for turning off unlimited registration.

-dave- (moderator at VftT)

Greg

Staff member
VftT has had problems in the past with posters who didn't fit well with the spirit of the site. Darren (the owner) decided to shut off new registrations as it was just a few folks that were causing most of the issues. I never felt that they were bad people (well, not most of them) but they just didn't mesh with the vision Darren had for the site. Over time, we've started taking new members that were referred by others. The site has critical mass so it doesn't really require an influx of new blood, but I think the new members (and new forums) have kept things lively.

The easiest way to become a member there is to hike with another member (it's fairly easy to get in touch with folks) and then have one sponsor you via email to Darren. He usually batches up the requests and adds people every few weeks.

While spamming could be an issue, it was never the reason for turning off unlimited registration.

Thanks for the insight, Dave. While I don't know the specifics of what went down, and Darren can certainly run his forum any way he wants, this approach seems totally elitist in nature to me. I could never envision not allowing beginner skiers to post here for example. But whatever. Any NE hikers that don't get the golden VFTT referral can certainly post here instead. ;)

bruno

VftT has had problems in the past with posters who didn't fit well with the spirit of the site. Darren (the owner) decided to shut off new registrations as it was just a few folks that were causing most of the issues. I never felt that they were bad people (well, not most of them) but they just didn't mesh with the vision Darren had for the site.

i'd kinda disagree with ya there dave! (and you know i like YOU!:daffy: :beer: ), but the "owner" and the "other moderator" were (and probably still are), shall we say a bit humor-impaired. they absolutely hated what they called "hick tawk". made 'em absolutely nuts. bonkers even. i won't do it (cause it ain't appropriate) but duder! i got some real doozy nasty emails and messages from those two.:cry: :puke: :roll:

but again, brother metsky in his role as a moderator always was courteous and pretty fair. them other two though! whoa!!!!:idea:

bruno

Thanks for the insight, Dave. While I don't know the specifics of what went down, and Darren can certainly run his forum any way he wants, this approach seems totally elitist in nature to me. I could never envision not allowing beginner skiers to post here for example. But whatever. Any NE hikers that don't get the golden VFTT referral can certainly post here instead. ;)

that's why this here site is heads and shoulders, HEADS n' SHOULDERS i say! over that other one. so for those of ya who got a hankerin' to hook up and be under the thumb of a coupla megalomaniacs, by all means beg one of 'em to go hikin' with ya. if they like ya or think you're cool enough, they MAY let ya in. meanwhile jus' stay tuned here where the moderators ain't scared of a little humor n' good times and the elitist li'l highschool cliquey thing ain't happenin'!:daffy: :dunce: :beer: :spread: :snow:

plus i don't think them other boys got any of my beloved li'l thingys!!:idea:

Mike P.

I belong to both sights & after watching what happened on AMC's Mountain & Molehills (or this site's misc. thread when ....politics - eek I said the word!.... was allowed, there is definitely evidence that things can get out of hand quickly.

At one point the AMC board was pretty active, not any more. Was that because they lost M&M or because things got so silly over there, people stopped going??? I cut back because it got to be too silly. That's sad as AMC in the East is likely responsible for drawing the largest group of novices to the woods. (as a group, more people likely start unaffiliated to any organization) IMO, their members need the answers most on conditions, gear, boots, etc. from people with experience like Dave & many others. (I can't list them all & not forget at least one, but all the boards have at least a coule of people I'd call quite knowledgable.

As far as cliques go, it's hard to find any sight that does not have cliques. There based on cars, gear, $$$, where you ski, hike, ride, what you ride, where you work, etc. From what I see while the ski side of the house here does allow anyone to join, there are still cliques based on who skis where how many days, how many diamonds, glades, etc.

Often times we refuse to admit we are part of a clique, when we are in the group, were just a circle of friends, to outsiders though, you often look like a clique. The difference between friends & a clique can be seen as nothing than if you are on the inside or outside of the circle.

Rocks on Top has a fair amount of VFTT posters also (I'm not quoting) but it was started as a friendly Internet neighborhood for hikers not on VFTT, but they also require a referral & do keep some people out.

Okay, enough ranting, I don't want to have to lock this thread to keep me from anymore ranting! (I think it would be the first one, as far as I know I have not locked any yet....)

Last edited:

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
I've gone around on this topic with many folks, and I'll just stay that web forums have their own personalities and styles. You should find the ones that fit your personality and style best. VftT is very successful at what it does and very compatible with its user base. AZ is very successful at what it does and is very compatible with its user base. Neither is, IMO, better or worse then the other, they are just different.

The key is to find where you fit in best, and/or modify your posting habits to conform to the norms on the sites you want to post on.

So, if anyone wants to join VftT, just send me a PM.

-dave-

bruno

The key is to find where you fit in best, and/or modify your posting habits to conform to the norms on the sites you want to post on.
-dave-

the problem dave is that why the heck should ya "modify your posting habits to conform"? ain't it all about freedom? i'm sorry dude, but on vftt if'n ya don't tow the party line or worse, try and have a little (non-obscene) fun, the other two guys go NUTS and send ya nasty and insultin' messages and emails and call ya "a problem child" and such. not you. you're the good cop. but those other two are impolite and megalomaniacs.:puke: :puke: :roll:

in your heart you know i'm right.:flag:

alpinezone mods let ol' bruno be bruno!!!:daffy: :beer:

let a thousand flowers bloom duder!;-)

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
It's "toe the line", as in put your toes on the line and line up. :)

No, it's not all about freedom, at least not on all forums. Many of us like it like that. Civil posting rules allows for better communications and information flow. That's what VftT is set up for, and that's why the rules are as they are. There are plenty of other forums on the web (like this fine forum) that are more laissez-faire then VftT. If complete freedom of posting is what you desire, then just post there and don't worry about VftT. Everyone's happy.

In my heart I know you're wrong, but we still get along.

-dave-

Mike P.

Trust me, their is a line here too. Or to borrow a phrase we use around here, there is a box & it's possible here to be outside the box. The box might be bigger than the VFTT box, it may be more flexible but it does have a limit. The one thing we do have are many forums so if you want to rant & rave about anything, besides politics, you can go to the misc. forum.

I've been Online about 10 years first starting on VFTT & Outdoors (Dave & I are still the #1 & #2 posters on AMC's bbs & we rarely post there, at least not like we used to) Mountains & Molehills was shut down because it got out of hand. We stopped discussing politics here because it got out of hand.

Personally, I don't care much for style if the content is good, so if you think that the Knife Edge on Katahdin is the best trail in the east because it's quite nice or because it F*&*g rocks (I don't care much for profanity espcially if every other word is F*&^ or S*&^) as long as your on topic.

I don't care to read here if you think K-Fed is an A$$ or what you think of Hillary, the Yankees, Red Sox, Scarlett J., Al Gore or Ann Coulter. That's what the misc. forum is for - Except politics, that bridge has already been broken.

Last edited:

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Say what you will about VFTT being elitist, I have made almost all my hiking friends through that site and I only joined in October (after the referral system was in place). I certainly can't complain! I get great Hiking trip report exposure there and if you dig a bit you can find lots of trail related information without even having to ask (usually someone else already asked :) )