• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1-way tolls on I-95 in Hampton, NH again, July 1 - Oct 21

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
From the Boston Globe:

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) Southbound drivers on Interstate 95 will get a free ride through New Hampshire's tolls starting Wednesday, but northbound drivers will pay double.
The Executive Council voted 3-2 to approve one-way tolls for 21 weeks through Oct. 21.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Last year, they funneled everyone through the rightmost 4 lanes. The booths are still there, however, so they slowed us down ... I think to the mid 30's or so? I only did it once so I don't remember too well. It was late at night, too, but it looked like they were making as many lanes as possible collect northbound.

skijay

I went to York Beach, ME on Saturday. I got to enjoy the $2.00 toll on the way up and not having to pay the toll on the way back.

I almost got rear ended as some idiot in front of me stopped to try to pay a toll on the south bound side (toll free). I was doing the 20 mph, but the GMC Envoy behind me was not. It landed about 1 foot from my bumper. I was not expecting the car in front of me to come to a dead stop and am glad I was only doing 20 and had a good distance.

Even though it is posted that it is FREE, people still do not get it. The signs say to slow to 20 MPH and people still do not get that part either. That is one reason in CT we do not have toll booths.

Greg

Staff member
MichaelJ said:
Do not have toll booths *any more* ... I remember the messes that would happen when the tolls existed on I-95.
Yup. It was a 1983 tollbooth accident that claimed seven lives and led to tolls being removed from CT highways. The driver of a tractor trailer fell asleep and plowed into the tollbooth.