• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 3/2 Storm Discussion Thread

AdironRider

Sounds like Whiteface is going to be primo on Friday. Man I love being a second semester senior in college w/ no class on fridays.

hammer

IIRC you got the last two storms.....late last week and Sunday/Monday. :wink:
Thanks...give us the small ones and keep the bigger ones for yourself...:razz::wink:

I'd have to admit, getting powder conditions at places in southern NH isn't quite as important...as long as they can groom the ice out to edgeable granular I'm OK.

Greg

Staff member
I'm prepared to take another one for the team......but I'll be in Vermont next week so...

Accuweather:

snow22807.jpg

SKIQUATTRO

just need that cold air to travel another 30 miles south and hit Bromley with snow instead of 3-6" mix....

SKIQUATTRO

(Or you need the Quattro to drive 30 miles further north)

I wish, i was pushing for Smuggs, but decided a 7-8hr car trip with the 2 little ones is pushing it for 2 days....already have the 1.5yr old signed up for daycare and the 4yr old in ski school at Bromley...staying at Johnny Seesaws......will be taking the Armada on this trip, need the DVD with wireless headphones for the 2 in the back (4hr trip from LI)....the Audi doesnt have DVD...yet!!

TwinTips21

Ascutney is south and east and doesn't have the highest base elevation because its a free-standing mountain. I'd wait the storm out and see what happens because if it does remain all snow that would be a great place to hit. The forecast is for 6-12 but there may be some sleet mixing in at times which would be nothing more than ice pellets but I don't know how that would ski.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The latest:

/O.NEW.KBTV.WS.A.0003.070302T0000Z- 070303T0000Z/ NORTHERN ST. LAWRENCE- NORTHERN FRANKLIN-EASTERN CLINTON- SOUTHEASTERN ST. LAWRENCE-SOUTHERN FRANKLIN-WESTERN CLINTON- WESTERN ESSEX-EASTERN ESSEX-SOUTHWESTERN ST. LAWRENCE-GRAND ISLE- WESTERN FRANKLIN- WESTERN CHITTENDEN-WESTERN ADDISON- WESTERN RUTLAND-WINDSOR-EASTERN RUTLAND- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF... MASSENA...MALONE...PLATTSBURGH... STAR LAKE...SARANAC LAKE...TUPPER LAKE... DANNEMORA... LAKE PLACID...PORT HENRY...TICONDEROGA...OGDENSBURG... POTSDAM... GOUVERNEUR...ALBURGH... SOUTH HERO...ST. ALBANS... BURLINGTON... MIDDLEBURY...VERGENNES... RUTLAND...SPRINGFIELD... WHITE RIVER JUNCTION...EAST WALLINGFORD... KILLINGTON 258 PM EST WED FEB 28 2007

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY EVENING THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING.

THE WATCH IS FOR THE POTENTIAL OF 6 INCHES OR MORE OF SNOWFALL FOR ALL OF NORTHERN NEW YORK...THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY AND SOUTH CENTRAL VERMONT. SNOWFALL TOTALS MAY VARY GREATLY WITH THIS EVENT DUE TO ADDITION OF WARM AIR ALOFT...WHICH MAY CHANGE SNOW OVER TO SLEET...AND POSSIBLY SOME FREEZING RAIN.

salsgang

NWS Gray ME Discussion: NICE!!!

DUE TO A HIGH CONFIDENCE SITUATION FORECASTING A BROAD AREA OF ABUNDANT
QPF DUE TO LARGE SCALE AND INTENSE OVERRUNNING SITUATION...WE HAVE ISSUED A
WINTER STORM WARNING FOR THE ENTIRE FORECAST AREA BEGINNING LATER
TONIGHT AND THROUGH FRIDAY. THE LATEST MODEL GUIDANCE FROM THE 00Z
RUN HAS TRENDED A LITTLE COLDER THAN PRIOR RUNS AND WITH QPF
TOTALS TO BE IN THE 1-1.5 INCH RANGE THIS MEANS A LOT OF SNOW. IT
APPEARS ENOUGH WARM AIR WILL WORK ITS WAY INTO THE COAST AND
ADJACENT INLAND AREAS TO CHANGE OVER THE SNOW TO A MIX OF SLEET
AND/OR RAIN OR FREEZING RAIN FOR A PERIOD FRIDAY AFTERNOON...BUT
NOT BEFORE DUMPING A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF SNOW. COLD AIR DAMMING
WILL ONCE AGAIN PLAY A MJR ROLE IN KEEPING THE COLD AIR IN PLACE
AS THE COASTAL FRONT SHOULD STAY JUST OFF THE COAST EXCEPT ALONG
THE MIDCOAST AREA WHERE IT MAY BRIEFLY MAKE ITS WAY A FEW MILES
INLAND. IN THE MOUNTAINS AND FOOTHILLS 1 TO 2 FEET OF SNOW SHOULD
BE EASILY ATTAINABLE
SINCE THE MID LEVEL LOW PASSES ACROSS
SOUTHERN NH AND MAINE WITH THE SURFACE LOW STAYING JUST OFF THE
MAINE COAST. SNOW RATIOS ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS SHOULD BE ABOUT 15:1
WHILE SOUTHERN AREAS IT SHOULD BE ABOUT 8 OR 10:1.

Terry

I just saw the local forcast- looks like 15-25 inches for Sugarloaf and Sunday River. Shawnee Peak it is looking like 10-15 inches!! WOOOHOOO!! :snow: