• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Comfort fit vs. performance fit.

highpeaksdrifter

whoa, HPD. you just made a boot recommendation without knowing some important information .

Whoa yourself there Oil, I think you read what you wanted to read instead of what I wrote. I never recommended a boot. I listed 3 boots that a skier of Wa-loaf's ability might consider.

con·sid·er (kn-sdr)
v.intr.
To think carefully; reflect: Give me time to consider.

Are you a Nordica rep or just a big fan? ;-)

Both :)

wa-loaf

Can anyone recomend a shop in the North Central Mass area that has a big boot selection? Not too concerned about the experience of the sales people, despite my last experience i do know what I'm doing and I just want someplace I can try on a lot of boots.

I've always gotten footbeds and some in shop fitting, but this time I'll seek out a master bootfitter. :grin:

Oh, and if Highpeaks drifter has any extra shop/pro forms, I'll look extra hard at Nordicas! :wink:

drjeff

The only reccomendations I'd make about getting new boots, is #1 DON'T go in with any pre-concieved notions about getting a particular brand/model, even if you've had a certain brand/model before the liners/shells amost always "evolve" a bit with each passing year #2 expect to spend ATLEAST a hour in the shop trying on boots/getting fit/getting adjustmenst made #3 a reputable boot fitter is worth the extra drive time to get to them #4 in general, your shell size will be between 1 and 3 sizes smaller than your street shoe size. #5 Expect to have to go back to the shop for an often minor adjustment or two after some on snow hill time, since often what feels great in the shop at 70 degrees and minor body movement might need some adjustments after using them at 20 degrees with alot of body movements #6 Don't be suprised to see some sudden improvement in your skiing ability with the new, properly fitting boots!

drjeff

both my wife and i had great experiences with Northern Ski Works up on the K Access Road....Hal is our man up there.....only thing i'd get from Sundown is some hand warmers

I'll second that reccomendation about Northern and Hal! He has my feet real happy in my Lange's :daffy: :spread: :beer:

kingslug

Sundow is ok, i definatly would not trust them to fit me properly for boots...last time i checked none of them were master-fitters...dont let them tune your skis, they do an awful job....i hand tune my own skis, but i had to drop my Atomic M10's off to them to check a crack in my core to see if we could do a return to Atomic, I specificly told them not to tune my skis....so what did they do??? they threw some PTEX over the crack (which obivously wont fix a cracked core) and they tuned them....when i picked them up i knew instantly they screwed up my edges so i asked what degrees they tuned these at....i got "uhhhh i dunno, what ever the machine was set at....i dont know what atomics are supposed to be"...if you want proper fitting boots head up north to a master boot fitter....both my wife and i had great experiences with Northern Ski Works up on the K Access Road....Hal is our man up there.....only thing i'd get from Sundown is some hand warmers

I pretty much only trust the owner Richard. He wasn't there when I bought them but considering that he took them back and got me back on the right track, I can't complain. As far as tuning goes, I haven't noticed a problem.
The boots I'm in now are Beast 12's. I set them on soft because i have limited flexion in my achilles tendons. On hard I just can't turn them as quick. An amazing improvement over the wrong size ones for sure. Have to see how I handle the ice bumps now. Maybe Clair's won't be such a slide for life now as well. My slis are a little soft for ice though. Crossmax pilot 10's with a lot of turns on them.

bigbog

I love the performance of my Atomic boots but getting them on and off is a friggin nightmare. They fit well when they are on but it's a swearfest when I put em on. Lots of huffing and puffing too......((*
*))NHPH
But a great fit in the heel pocket I bet...NHPH. Blasted Atomic!, they start with #25 shell...:angry: (one shellsize larger than my fav size..)