• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon Mountain Installs New High Speed Lift for 2004-05

Greg

Staff member
loonmtn.com said:
Loon Mountain Installs New High Speed Lift for the 2004-05 Ski Season - 28th June 2004

North Peak to get faster lift access, wider trails, lodge improvements

LINCOLN, N.H. - Loon Mountain, a premier New Hampshire resort, announced that they will be installing a new Doppelmayr CTEC high-speed detachable quad chairlift on its North Peak in time for 2004-2005 winter operations.

The chair will reduce the ride time to the summit from 9.5 to 4.8 minutes. The lift is 4820 feet long and rises to an elevation of 1563.

"The installation of this new lift is the start of many good things to come here at Loon," stated Rick Kelley, General Manager for the resort. "The North Peak, which is marking its 20th anniversary this season, offers our guests some of the best cruising terrian at Loon. This lift will make it easier and faster than ever to reach these trails. It will also reduce lift lines as skiers and riders will be able to get up and onto the mountain more quickly."

The addition of the lift is part of an overall upgrade to the North Peak area of the resort, which will include the widening of the Flume trail and clearing of glades, plus the addition of a deck around the Camp III mid-mountain lodge.

Loon opens for the winter season in mid-November 2004 and plans to have the new lift in place in time for Christmas vacation week.

Loon is open for summer operations June 26 through October 19, 2004, featuring gondola skyrides, horseback riding, climbing wall, mountain biking, summit restaurant, gift shops and fun family events. For more information on summer operations call 603-745-8111, or go towww.loonmtn.com.

Threedom passes for the 2004-2005 season are already on sale and may be purchased at www.threedompass.com or calling 1-866-271-8366. "With the new lift and North Peak trail improvements, Threedom Passholders will receive an even greater value than before. There's never been a better time to purchase a Threedom Pass," stated Loon's marketing director, Kathy Bennett.

Loon Mountain is located on the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire, 2 hours north of Boston, 3 miles from Exit 32 off Interstate 93. In recent years, SKI magazine commended Loon Mountain for snow quality, grooming, family programs and accessibility. Loon is part of the Booth Creek family of resorts, which includes: Cranmore Mountain Resort, Northstar-at-Tahoe, Sierra-at-Tahoe, the Summit-at-Snoqualmie and Waterville Valley.

Great news for Loon fans!!!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
"It will also reduce lift lines as skiers and riders will be able to get up and onto the mountain more quickly."

this isn't exactly true. a HSQ will have roughly the same uphill capacity as the fixed grip triple. the only time skiers and riders will get up the hill quicker is at times when there was little to no line when the triple ran (which in my experience with loon, isn't very often). otherwise, they are just waiting in line longer instead of having a longer ride up the mountain. not to mention more the increased amount of people wanting to ride that lift 'just because' it's a HSQ. yup, this may actually increase the lines despite the faster lift.

i actually really like the north peak area and consider the trails between the current triple and angel street to be loon's best terrain. i actually would have preferred the triple remain instead of the HSQ. i have a love hate relationship with loon. i really enjoy the terrain on that part of the mountain, but never go due to crowds. i don't think the HSQ or the widening of a trail will increase my days at loon. although the clearing of more glades does sound nice.

Greg

Staff member
What you're forgetting Steve is that the new quad will probably make the lines at the East Basin Double basically non-existent. The double, while a bit slow, is a great lift to the summit and one of my favorites at the mountain.

Crowds are a good thing for the industry. The key to Loon, like any mountain, is to start early and know how to ski it when it's crowded; or ski it mid-week.

I do wonder about the raitionale behind widening Flume though. It's pretty wide as it is and often gets wind-blown at the top...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i thought about the double lines, but i don't think they'll be substantially different. i think that many more people will want to be at that part of the mountain due to the quad that the quad line will lead to over flow on the double. i love doubles, they are my favorite lift.

while crowds are good for the industry, i appreciate a fine balance between enough revenue to operate and way too many people on the hill. loon is a fine mountain mid-week. the only way to ski loon is from the double and triple any day of the week.

Greg

Staff member
riverc0il said:
the only way to ski loon is from the double and triple any day of the week.
I like to start with a ride up Seven Brothers and then the Kanc quad first thing in the AM. Once the quad starts to get busy, it's on to the double for the rest of the morning. Later in day it's usually the triple or quad again. I usually avoid the gondola at all costs. We skied mid-week last season for four days and this approach worked out well.

Greg

Staff member
uphillklimber said:
In any case the uphill capacity of a quad would be 33% more than a triple alleviating what line has gathered there. Of course, more will gather, so....
Not exactly. The chairs on the HSQ need to be spaced further out than they are on the triple (read: less chairs overall) so it's hard to say exactly what the uphill capacity gain/loss will be. Even if more do gather, the ride is quicker so the wait time will probably be a wash on busy days.

uphillklimber said:
But on those days when it ain't so busy, va va va voom!!!!
Good point there!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
it varies depending on legnth of chair and speed, but generally a HSQ will have the same uphill capacity as a fixed grip triple. given the same length, a quad has an extra seat and travels faster, but there are far fewer chairs on the haul cable and the chairs are spaced out further apart.

the key word here is "capacity" which is the max amount of people that can move from point A to point B. if there is a line and every chair is being filled to capacity, you will wait longer in line instead of having a longer chair lift ride with a HSQ (given that the uphill capacity is about equal to a fixed grip triple which is usually the case). i'd rather have a shorter line and a longer ride. given there's not a line, the HSQ is undoubtedly the better ride, but how often does a HSQ not have a line? well, there are exceptions such as wildcat and cannon where i rarely see lines but still...

Charlie Schuessler

Loon's North Peak Upgrade

I spend a considerable amount of time skiing at Loon Mountain and welcome the announced upgrade.

Speaking strictly as a frequent skier, I realize it comes at a price, including the expansion of an already wide trail and expected loss of glade skiing. It’s presumable the upgrade may attract more people to ski the upper trails on Loon Peak and North Peak. However I won't miss the slow ride up the windy peak or being jogged up to the peak in frigid wind (above the snow guns) because skiers fall at the (at times precarious) unloading area.

When the upper mountain(s) trails are "Weekend Crowded" I prefer to ride the East Basin double-chair and take breaks at the Summit Café. I doubt I’ll be changing that routine.

Hopefully the announced upgrade will not negatively impact the wildlife. I’m trusting that the approved Environmental Impact Study and Action Plan treat the (Publicly Owned) White Mountain National Forest including it’s inhabitants favorably.

Regardless of skier skills or lift-line length, there’s still plenty of mountain and operating hours for every one who wants to enjoy a Loon Mountain experience. I don't believe the announced upgrade will negatively effect my experience and therefore I welcome it as an improvement from mountain area that is slow to change. :D

Greg

Staff member
Kathy Bennet, Marketing Director for Loon indicated to me in an Email that the widening of Flume was necessary to accomodate the new HSQ line. It's in a different location than the triple. Also, the North Peak triple had an actual capacity of 1100 pph and the new detachable quad will have a design capacity of 1550 pph!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
whoa, that north peak triple musta been damn slow! been a while since i road it, but i do remember that precarious loading/unloading areas for both the double and triple. i wonder why they couldn't have included the capacity numbers in the press release!!! so often, press releases have become lip service and marketing BS and hide the real facts. maybe it's because they think people won't understand the facts and numbers, but putting 1100pph and 1550pph in the statement would have backed up their higher capacity claim. i enjoy seeing facts and am always hesitent to believe the hype. thanks for scoping that out greg!

thetrailboss

Staff member
"In any case the uphill capacity of a quad would be 33% more than a triple alleviating what line has gathered there. Of course, more will gather, so.... But on those days when it ain't so busy, va va va voom!!!!"

Downside to the expansion: more skiers on the slopes = less snow to ski. The increase in traffic is probably the reason for the wider Flume slope.

As for "designed capacity," mountains nowadays have to conduct surveys and plan their terrain and lift configurations to handle traffic patterns. One doesn't just drop a lift into place. From what I've heard, the "designed capacity" is exactly this: how many skiers per hour the lift and the trail network can handle.

Greg

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
The increase in traffic is probably the reason for the wider Flume slope.
Nope. See above:
Greg said:
Kathy Bennet, Marketing Director for Loon indicated to me in an Email that the widening of Flume was necessary to accomodate the new HSQ line.

sledhaulingmedic

Let's get the real stats here: How long is it going to be, what's the line speed going to be, and what the interval going to be?

sledhaulingmedic

Looks like they're moving along pretty fast. I may actually be on the mountain for work this next week, so I'd be curious to take a look.

Too bad about widening Flume, but perhaps they'll be able to make more snow (well, have more of it on the trail, rather than the woods).

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I stopped by Loon today and there were pieces of a lift in the parking lot just over the bridge and to the right. I am not sure if they are part of the new lift that it going on North Peak or not, but they definately were not part of the lift that is being/has been taken out. I went to take some pictures and forun out that my battery was dead. If I am lucky one may have come out...if so I will post it.

Is there any news on the South Peak expansion??? Is that going to take place? You can see the cut slopes as you drive from 93 toward Loon, they look pretty nice. A couple have started regrowth again, but at least one trail appeared to be cut clean and ready for snow.

Charlie Schuessler

Per Susan Watson's comments in the AZ Challenge
"Regarding the South Mountain project, Loon now has all federal permitting in place and we have finished the real estate plan for the base area. We are currently in the process of acquiring local permits for the mountain and the real estate parcel.
We expect to begin construction of the real estate parcel in the summer of 2005. The lifts and trails, with snowmaking, would follow shortly thereafter. There will be a total of 7 trails in the G lift area. As part of the project, we will build two additional trails in the North Peak area. We also plan lodge expansion in those two areas, plus additions to the existing base area over time.
The South Mountain slopes face the town of Lincoln, and the base area will be within a half mile of town. At 1450 feet, the vertical drop of South Mountain is very similar to North Peak. Our overall vertical drop is 2100 ft."

It will interesting if it happens...it has been held up before, you never know.

Greg

Staff member
It looks like the trail widening is sticking to the lower part of Flume. It seems like it's following the Triple liftline pretty closely. I'll be there for a week in March and looking forward to spending some time on the new HSQ!