• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tecnica Vento

Bumpsis

I'm shopping around for boots. I tried some Atomics, Nordicas and Tecnicas. So far, I'm developing an affinity towards the Tecnica Vento 8. Any opinions on this boot?
What other models should I try?
I love to ski bumps, so softer flex is something that I like, but I do ski everythig with verve, all over the mountain, steeps, glades, crud, groomers and yes, powder when I get lucky. I'm 5'6'', about 155 lb.

I am a bit mystified by the "flex index" number. The Vento 8 list 80 for flex index. Is that a useful criterion for judging/comapring flex or should I just go with the feel ?

Looking through posts on boots, it looks like choosing a new one that's right, could be a bit of an ordeal. My feet are very regular and in the past, what I picked "off the shelf" turned out to be just right without much fussing with after sale re-fitting.

bigbog

Ventos...

Hi Bumpsis,
The "Flex-Index" is company-internal-only index simply to distinguish between the diff models of such make.
I agree wholeheartedly about going for a forward-flex that "works"...ie..matches our forward-lean & weight so as to let us stay balanced fore/aft-wise.
Vento8 and a men's Vento7!(both regular last & HVL). I ditched my 07' GearGuides..a while back..the "Hands On Fitting" is the only way to know anyways...More than a few boot guys over on "Epicski" that have a handle on the goods that are out there. Shell-fit the #1 thing... Remember, a boot can be expanded easier than it can be shrunk.
Stan & Dan's(N.Conway, NH) has/had the Vento7(not sure what's left)

(beginning to ramble...signing off)
Steve

Last edited:

hammer

I tired the Ventos and Diablos, initially went with the Diablo Sparks (flex index 70) and eventually got the Diablo Flames (flex index 80).

Aside from cost, the main difference I noticed was that the Ventos were a bit too roomy in the toe box for me.

I find the Flames to have a decent amount of flex, but I'm almost 190 lb so I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Best advice is to go to a bootfitter, but if that's not doable just make sure you don't go too big...

Greg

Staff member
I have a pair of Vento 8s and don't really care for them much. Too soft for my liking. Softer is not better for bumps. I have a good fit in the heel, but the toe box is way too big for my flat, narrow, low volume foot. Cranking down buckle 2 is needed and it results in some discomfort on the top of the foot. My Nordica Speedmachine 12s fit like a slipper in comparison. I like the SM12s set on soft for most skiing. Still pretty stiff, but soft enough for some flex. What is best for you is really what fits best. Don't settle on a make/model. Get thee to a boot fitter.

Paul

I have a pair of Vento 8s and don't really care for them much. Too soft for my liking. Softer is not better for bumps. I have a good fit in the heel, but the toe box is way too big for my flat, narrow, low volume foot. Cranking down buckle 2 is needed and it results in some discomfort on the top of the foot. My Nordica Speedmachine 12s fit like a slipper in comparison. I like the SM12s set on soft for most skiing. Still pretty stiff, but soft enough for some flex. What is best for you is really what fits best. Don't settle on a make/model. Get thee to a boot fitter.

I agree with Greg on the Bootfitter, especially because I'm in complete contradiction with him on the Ventos. I love mine, mainly because the big toebox accomodates my flipper-like feet.

Different strokes....

ajl50

Get thee to a professional and show him thine feets.
Really...no other way.