• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski runaway Straps

rob56789

I'm heading out west in march and was wondering if i should invest in some type of strap to keep my skis from getting lost in all that powder.:snow:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'm heading out west in march and was wondering if i should invest in some type of strap to keep my skis from getting lost in all that powder.:snow:

If you're planning on going steep and/or fast, I'd leave 'em off. In a tumbling crash they could be deadly.

For slower turning in deep snow in which you stop right where you fall, I'd be using them too.

skidbump

strap are actually used as a marker and not attached to your person..10 feet of red/day glo ribbon tied to binding and stuffed in pants so if you eject from ski there is a 10 foot runner so you have a better chance of finding.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I would most definetly recommend that you get some powder cords. Losing a ski and not being able to find it for an hour or two or never, could really screwup your vacation. Skidbump with his expanation of how you use them. I'm presently in Utah and purchased some, they go anywhere from $6.30-$12.00

SKIQUATTRO

if its that deep, a pack with an avy shovel will help alot if you have to dig for that ski....

KevinF

if its that deep, a pack with an avy shovel will help alot if you have to dig for that ski....

It doesn't have to be all that deep to lose a ski. I spent a good 15 minutes looking for one at Cannon once after a foot or so had fallen. That ski just sunk to the hardpack and took off. I was hauling, but the direction I fell in and the direction the ski took off in weren't even close to being the same. I found it only because another skier happened to run into it.

skidbump

had a women at belleayre lose 1 at bottom of winnesook in about 4-6 inches of snow...she said she was looking for about 30 min and was walking away when i saw her.

bigbog

powder day face-plant....

I know what you mean...I've certainly learned my lesson...
Halfway into one of the first cold 16"+ powder days at Sugarloaf this season, as I hadn't had the necessary bootwork done then, I got bitten by the cold toes/bottoming-out_thing in a bank of accumulated drifting snow = comfortable face-plant in 20" of flat, soft cover...but finding the skis...talk about a process :roll: ! Skis were like ~8-12' behind me....even with help it took ~10minutes. ...But on the humorous side, it did produce one of the longest conversations (..with a just visiting for 1st time couple) I think I've ever had on a powderday...
They're now at the top of my "double check" daily gear list.