• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gallery Pruning and Future Uploads

Greg

Staff member
We are dangerously close to (and at times exceeding) our disk space quota for AlpineZone.com. Much of the space is being utilized by the Images Galleries. I need to take immediate action to alleviate this problem. With that said, I'm going to delete all albums uploaded prior to 1/1/2004. Many of these albums include high resolution images which are contributing to the disk space problem.

In addition, I have implemented automatic image resizing for all future uploads to the Gallery. All images will be resized to 800 pixels for the longest dimension (either horizontal or vertical) and a maximum file size of 150 KB. These settings should still provide a reasonable image in terms of dimensions and resolution.

I apologize for having to purge the old albums, but exceeding the disk quota causes site-wide functionality problems beyond just me having to pay for more disk space. Also, the new Gallery settings should give us some more "shelf-life" for albums in the Gallery. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Greg

Staff member
Just a quick comment. While I love viewing the images from others areas of the world, e.g. Frodo's and Blye's awesome recent hikes, the topic of this site is Northeast Skiing and Hiking. In the event that I need to purge the Gallery again to save disk space, albums from outside the Northeast will be the first to go. Currently, we're doing fine on disk space, so they will stay for now, but I may need to take this action to allow for other members to upload pics from the Northeast in the future. Sorry. I wish I had an unlimited supply of disk space...