• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre Weekend 3/10 & 3/11/07

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com
See this trip report with links here.

Date(s) Skied:

Saturday & Sunday March 10 & 11, 2007

Resort or Ski Area:

Belleayre, Catskills, New York

Conditions:

Soft & Hard in one weekend! This weekend was a study in contrasts, and it shows how fast conditions can change in the mountains.

Trip Report:

The snow was soft and springlike on Saturday, about 40 degrees. I loved it. The bumps were soft, slow and forgiving. The snow was getting heavier as the day progressed. I loved it. It was so great to lay my Rossi VS Oversize skis on edge and carve speedy short arcs. I was taking a little air at the apex of each turn to kill the developing crud. After skiing all winter, I love this snow because I am in good skiing shape to kill it all day. When it warms up everything works better too: The boots flex better and the body works better when it is warmer. Warmer days bring the people out, so the lines got a little long during the afternoon.

On Saturday night it rained. The rain froze. Sunday's weather remained overcast and below freezing on the mountain, despite the forecast for another 40 degree day. Result: the snow froze. It was hard everywhere. The groomed runs had ice chunks. The bumps were like fields of Galapagos Turtle shells. The skiing was so loud, it gave Debbie a headache. I couldn't even hear what my son was saying to me when he was just a little uphill from me on Onteora and Yahoo. The vibrations from the hard snow beat my legs up. The titanium in my stiff Atomic Metron m:EX skis perfectly transferred the vibrations from the snow, to my Rossi race boots, to my leg bones and muscles. I was wishing for some less stiff skis; but they probably would not have held as well on the afternoon boilerplate nor killed the morning ice chunks half as well.

But there were no lines - so it was fun~!

MarkC

Sunday was an interesting day in the cats. Icy untill about 4:30 when the sun finally poked through the clouds. Best run of the day was the last one. The snow softened up just enough. It is too bad the lifts close so early considering the amount of daylight we now have.

kingslug

This is why I stayed home Sunday, unwrapped the Vette, and blew around the parkways. Then went to Hunter on Monday where it was great all day. Started out at 37 deg. and went to 50 deg. Hit the bump runs all day, including lower K-27 which is a tough one. Hell of a day.