• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Competition Mogul Skis

Greg

Staff member
They're here!!! :)

Word! Big props to Untracked.com. I ordered these suckers yesterday morning and was surprised and elated to see them leaning on my front steps when I got home from work today this afternoon!

IMG_3564.jpg

As far as length goes, they're pretty similar to my AC3 which are 170cm:

IMG_3563.jpg

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the Cabrawler runs much shorter than its printed length. I would guess the 179cm Cabrawler is indeed around 173cm. I'm very glad I opted for this length over the 169 (163) especially given how skinny these are overall. I plan to use these skis on the bumps and groomers (not a carver skier) and save the AC3s for natural snow/powder/trees.

Another goal was a lighter ski. Based on my completely unscientific measurements using a bathroom scale, the AC3s weigh 13.6 pounds while the Cabrawlers + the PX12s weigh 10.8 lbs. for a savings of almost 3 lbs. I expected a bit more, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Anyway, not much more can get you psyched for ski season this time of year than a ski delivery! 8) I'm slowly turning into a gear whore. Can't wait to see how the skinny skis help in the bumps! Come on winter!!!

Hawkshot99

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the Cabrawler runs much shorter than its printed length. I would guess the 179cm Cabrawler is indeed around 173cm. I'm very glad I opted for this length over the 169 (163)

My enemys are the same way.I am guess ing they measure the top sheet length when it is flat, but then there is the turned up tail. Re those skis flat on the back, or turned up.

Greg

Staff member
My enemys are the same way.I am guess ing they measure the top sheet length when it is flat, but then there is the turned up tail. Re those skis flat on the back, or turned up.

There's a slight turn up on the tail. I think the issue is K2 measures the running length (along the edge) of the ski, not tip to tail.

jack97

Another goal was a lighter ski. Based on my completely unscientific measurements using a bathroom scale, the AC3s weigh 13.6 pounds while the Cabrawlers + the PX12s weigh 10.8 lbs. for a savings of almost 3 lbs. I expected a bit more, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

Nice..... I was tempted to pull the trigger at 169. Got the twister instead. I noticed the skis seems light but the PX12 added the extra weight.

I got my bindings mounted 1 cm forward, it turns out with my set up that its balanced from tip to tail at the mid line of my boot (which turns out to be where my BOF point). Just made a knife hand and found the point where it's balanced on my index finger. If I do the same experiment with my k2 axis and volkl g3, the bindings are mounted no where near the balance point. Not sure if I like it but I am excited about giving it a try in both the flats and bumps.

Greg

Staff member
Nice..... I was tempted to pull the trigger at 169. Got the twister instead. I noticed the skis seems light but the PX12 added the extra weight.

I got my bindings mounted 1 cm forward, it turns out with my set up that its balanced from tip to tail at the mid line of my boot (which turns out to be where my BOF point). Just made a knife hand and found the point where it's balanced on my index finger. If I do the same experiment with my k2 axis and volkl g3, the bindings are mounted no where near the balance point. Not sure if I like it but I am excited about giving it a try in both the flats and bumps.

When I get the bindings mounted, I'm just going to tell them to mount 1 cm forward. There's a "mid-sole" marking on the ski which I assume is the correct mounting point for a centered position. I figure going only 1 cm forward is a safe enough deviation from what the manufacturer recommends.

jack97

When I get the bindings mounted, I'm just going to tell them to mount 1 cm forward. There's a "mid-sole" marking on the ski which I assume is the correct mounting point for a centered position. I figure going only 1 cm forward is a safe enough deviation from what the manufacturer recommends.

Same here..... but you know with me, along with the feel, I have have to understand why when it comes to techniques and equipment.

BTW, I got my twister over at forerunner, Phil (the tech) said that the place recommends 1cm forward on all bump skis. As for props, he mounted bindings that I got else where for for a cheap price, overall a nice deal.

Greg

Staff member

Well, this was an interesting experience. I went to pick up my Cabrawlers a few weeks ago and they were totally screwed up! I noticed the toe binding partially covering the graphic at the tip. It turns out they mounted the bindings 1 cm forward from center mount, i.e. the center of the ski! Apparently a lot of park skis are mounted this way so anyone going +1cm, be sure to clarify when you say 1 cm forward, it's from the standard mounting point...

The kid was like, "no problem, we'll have him remount and they'll be ready for tomorrow." I said, "no.....you're going to contact your K2 rep and get me new skis." He seemed to want to do the right thing and ultimately they did by getting me replacement boards. So, as it stands, all is right with the world:

IMG_4089.jpg

I would have been really pissed if it was mid-season and had to wait an extra two weeks. It turns out this shop didn't follow powhunter's request to have his PX12 Lifters mounted without the lifters too. They were also supposed to set aside a pair of 1080 Moguls for me really cheap ($75) and when I asked, I was told they got "sold". Not sure I believe that one. I'm done with that shop.

Anyway, I hope to break out those bitches on Monday at Snow.

jack97

Well, this was an interesting experience. I went to pick up my Cabrawlers a few weeks ago and they were totally screwed up! I noticed the toe binding partially covering the graphic at the tip. It turns out they mounted the bindings 1 cm forward from center mount, i.e. the center of the ski! Apparently a lot of park skis are mounted this way so anyone going +1cm, be sure to clarify when you say 1 cm forward, it's from the standard mounting point...

The kid was like, "no problem, we'll have him remount and they'll be ready for tomorrow." I said, "no.....you're going to contact your K2 rep and get me new skis." He seemed to want to do the right thing and ultimately they did by getting me replacement boards. So, as it stands, all is right with the world:

IMG_4089.jpg

I would have been really pissed if it was mid-season and had to wait an extra two weeks. It turns out this shop didn't follow powhunter's request to have his PX12 Lifters mounted without the lifters too. They were also supposed to set aside a pair of 1080 Moguls for me really cheap ($75) and when I asked, I was told they got "sold". Not sure I believe that one. I'm done with that shop.

Anyway, I hope to break out those bitches on Monday at Snow.

Kind of interesting on 1 cm mount on the cabrawlers, did you try the balancing experiment to find the mid point in terms of weight? The weight of my twister is distributed differently along the length and the weight of each piece of the bindings is different, this placed the balance point at a different spot than the (running surface) length midpoint.

Greg

Staff member
Kind of interesting on 1 cm mount on the cabrawlers, did you try the balancing experiment to find the mid point in terms of weight? The weight of my twister is distributed differently along the length and the weight of each piece of the bindings is different, this placed the balance point at a different spot than the (running surface) length midpoint.

I did using your unscientific hand method. It's still a bit forward from the modified mid-sole location, sort of right at the BOF.

jack97

I did using your unscientific hand method. It's still a bit forward from the modified mid-sole location, sort of right at the BOF.

That's where my twister ended up; the balance point (in terms of weight) is close to the bof.