• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Competition Mogul Skis

Greg

Staff member
Any thoughts on the various comepetition level bump skis? I'm thinking about picking up a pair of these skis just for days I'm spending most of my time in the bumps. Any recommendations? I'm looking at the Dyna Twisters, Salomon 1080s, Rossi Scratch Moguls, K2 Cabrawlers, and the Volkl Dragonslayers. I know, the recommendation is going to be to demo, but I've never seen bumps skis offered to demo. These skis are hard enough to find much less demo so I'll just probably grab a deal online. I'm 6'1" and about 170 lbs. and would like the lightest and most responsive bump ski out there. My AC3s are a bit unwieldy in the bumps.

Last edited:

tjf67

If you want a pair of bump skiis just buy an old pair of straight skiis for bumps. They have not changed. If you have been skiing for more than ten years you probably have a pair in the basement. BTW it you are having ahard time with the ac3 straight skiis are not going to make much of a difference. Its how you ski them not what you ski them on. I ski the bumps on AC4 and smash the crap out of them.
You never got to whiteface. What a sham you profit off a place that you never visited. SHAM I TELL YOU!!!

highpeaksdrifter

Any thoughts on the various comepetition level bump skis? I'm thinking about picking up a pair of these skis just for days I'm spending most of my time in the bumps. Any recommendations? I'm looking at the Dyna Twisters, Salomon 1080s, Rossi Scratch Moguls, K2 Cabrawlers, and the Volkl Dragonslayers. I know, the recommendation is going to be to demo, but I've never seen bumps skis offered to demo. These skis are hard enough to find much less demo so I'll just probably grab a deal online. I'm 6'1" and about 170 lbs. and would like the lightest and most responsive bump ski out there. My AC3s are a bit unwieldy in the bumps.

A friend of mine is a freestyle coach at WF. I'll see him this weekend and get his opinion for you.

skidon

Volkl's current mogul ski is the Rebellion. None of the Sallys are narrow enough to be considered true mogul skis, although many kids DO use them. Of the 5 brands you mentioned, the K2 and Rossi are the dominant skis used at the Waterville Valley freestyle program, which has sent kids to the Olympics (for example, Hannah Kearney) and recently killed it at the Junior worlds. I'd go with one of those 2 models...

Jean-Pierre Skier

I think your Volkl AC3's are too heavy and stiff for bumps. I'm not sure if you've set your heart on dedicated mogul skis, but any softer, lighter ski will work much, much better for you. I love my K2 Public Enemies in the bumps, plus they perform all over the mountain and in any sort of conditions. In my opinion, they are some of the best "do anything" skis I've ever had. From Utah Powder to Mad River tree skiing.

Just a thought.

Greg

Staff member
Well, I'm waiting for a deal on either the 1080s, Scratch or Cabrawlers to come along. Already picked up a pair of non-lifted Look PX12 Pilot bindings just waiting for some nice matching boards. This will be my ultra-light bump set-up and the AC3s will remain my all-mountain, crud, powder, woods rig.

skidon

That Look binding is good, and along with its Rossi counterpart last year might even have been the best for bumps. This year, though, Salomon came out with their Z Series bindings. The Z12 Ti is much lighter, and its vertical coupling to the ski is tighter, which makes for more-precise egde control. Since you haven't mounted skis up yet, if you REALLY want ultra-light, think about those Sollymons..... Also, what size skis are you going with?

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
That Look binding is good, and along with its Rossi counterpart last year might even have been the best for bumps. This year, though, Salomon came out with their Z Series bindings. The Z12 Ti is much lighter, and its vertical coupling to the ski is tighter, which makes for more-precise egde control. Since you haven't mounted skis up yet, if you REALLY want ultra-light, think about those Sollymons..... Also, what size skis are you going with?

Well, I got the Looks for a hundred bucks so....

Ski length? Around 170 cm.

skidon

OK, this year's Scratch Mogul came in 167 and 175. Those are true sizes. The 'Brawler was made in 169 and 179, but those are NOT true sizes. The actual size of this year's and last year's Cabrawlers is 4-5 cm shorter than the size printed on the ski. So, the real size of the 169 is around 164, and the real size of the 179 is 174. Confused yet? Heh. The Salomon models that would be best for moguls would be the Teneighty Flyer and Teneighty Thruster. The Thruster's probably better for you 'because it's a beefier construction. They're both made in a 171, true size. The Rossi and K2 are both 66mm wide at the waist, while the Salomons are both around 80, which is why the former 2 models are preferred over the Salomons for comp skiing - they're quicker edge-to-edge.

Greg

Staff member
Cabrawlers, Baby!

Well, this morning I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of 2007 K2 Cabrawlers (179 cm)

1426.jpg

http://www.untracked.com/p1318-07_k2_cabrawler_expert_mogul_skis.html

I'll be mounting a pair of 2006 Look PX12 (flat, no lifters) that I got on eBay for $100:

3267s.jpg

I had three gift certificates for Untracked.com so I got the whole ski and binding combo for about $250. I'm ready to rock those piles now! :spread:

highpeaksdrifter

Grassi21

Greg

Staff member
Now we will never see you on a groomer. ;-)

Well, I did go with the longer one so it still should be usable on the groomers. As you know, I'm far from a carver and I should be able to chop down the flats on these. It's a not a primary ski; just for when I expect to be on the bumps at least half the time.

Grassi21

Well, I did go with the longer one so it still should be usable on the groomers. As you know, I'm far from a carver and I should be able to chop down the flats on these. It's a not a primary ski; just for when I expect to be on the bumps at least half the time.

I know. Just bustin' stones. They look sweet. I've always liked K2s top-sheets. I'm really interested to hear you thoughts on them as the season progresses.

Greg

Staff member
I know. Just bustin' stones. They look sweet. I've always liked K2s top-sheets. I'm really interested to hear you thoughts on them as the season progresses.

My 4 year old is excited I'm getting skis with the Statue of Liberty on them. :lol: She has some sort of fascination with the statue lately. I'll be sure to share my thoughts as you can imagine. I'm going to weigh them to compare them to my AC3s.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
I might be late to this game, but if anyone is looking for a 170 Dragonslayer, used but in great shape shoot me a pm.