• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 3/30/2007 (night)

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Friday, 3/30/2007, 6:10 pm - 10:05 pm

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown, New Hartford, CT

Conditions: Spring bumps that firmed up later in the night. Temps near 60 to start, dropping into the 40's later on, calm, mostly clear skies.

Trip Report: Well, tonight was the final night for the AZ Sundown crew. We had loafer89 and Warren, bvibert, powhunter, 2knees and me. Brian, Pat, Steve and I spent the entire night on Nor'easter. Warren and loafer joined us as well for a few runs throughout the night. A few big areas at the top of the bumps burned out, but we had one nice line off the top. The rest of the bumps were similar to Monday.

We started with daylight and mushy spring conditions. As the sun went down there were two or three runs when it was tricky to see. It was tough to ski in the dusk before the lights fully illuminated the trails. Once it got completely dark, the bumps were lit up well. The surface definitely firmed up over the course of the night. Pat and I threw down some old school cheese.....uh, I mean steeze....a few times. ;)

A great night. Got a bunch of vid so I'll try to put something together this weekend. Cool to get powhunter officially part of the Sundown night bumpin' crew. Tonight was it for me at Sundown. The bumps were great this year and a lot of fun. I figured out that after tonight I put in somewhere on the order of 175 bump runs on Nor'easter! :blink: Tonight was a perfect way to bid farewell. Brian, Pat and I hung in the lot and tailgated for a little bit. Great times! See you guys next year!

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
Great night for the final AZ Sundown night session for the season. I'm glad I was able to make it. I'll have to try and go through the video I got tomorrow. I got out for a couple hours today after work and it was just as good, but man my legs were feeling it.

loafer89

I had alot of fun finally meeting up with everyone at Sundown this year and hope to do more the same next season.

Warren's skiing has really improved alot and hopefully we can ski some steep stuff at Sugarloaf next week.

Thank you for the free tickets Greg.

2knees

lol captain tailgunner reporting in here.

I knew i felt all out of whack for the first hour or so. Now i know why. I spent the first 5 runs or so totally on my tails. wtf.

powhunter

Was great to get out with all you guys.....Thanks for the hookup greg.. Thanks skisundown.com for giving us bangers the space to rip it up!! Might do a farewell tour this aftternoon for a few hours..

steve

Greg

Staff member
Thanks skisundown.com for giving us bangers the space to rip it up!!

Agreed! They seeded that run on 1/23 which works out to 69 days this season for a bump run. Not bad for CT. Thanks Sundown!
:spread:

Grassi21

Agreed! They seeded that run on 1/23 which works out to 69 days this season for a bump run. Not bad for CT. Thanks Sundown!
:spread:

I'm sure Greg and B have passed on their comments to Sundown. But I encourage everyone to give them a shout over e-mail. I've e-mailed the people at Sundown and the Cat to thank them for doing well by us CT folks when it comes to the bumps. I think these areas here so many complaints about snow guns running during the day, too much ungroomed snow or crusty conditions. I'm sure its nice to hear something positive for once.

Greg

Staff member
I'm sure Greg and B have passed on their comments to Sundown. But I encourage everyone to give them a shout over e-mail. I've e-mailed the people at Sundown and the Cat to thank them for doing well by us CT folks when it comes to the bumps. I think these areas here so many complaints about snow guns running during the day, too much ungroomed snow or crusty conditions. I'm sure its nice to hear something positive for once.

Good call. I encourage everyone to thank Sundown for the bumps this season by Emailing them at customerservice@skisundown.com

I don't know how much we influence the mogul approach, but I do know Brian chats directly with Chris Sullivan (mountain ops manager) about them quite a bit. It certainly can't hurt to express a bit of gratitude. At least that way they'll hopefully maintain (or expand) the current bump approach.