Maine Hikes

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maine Hikes

Maine Hikes

Hey I am new to the site and trying to become a newbie to the sport. I am in dallas TX right now but will be moving to Maine in dec. I really want to start doing some 2 or three day trips but don't really know where to go, or how much ground one can cover in that amount of time. So if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I know it is still winter up there but it'sunny and warm down here so I am thinking about future outings

If your not moving till next Dec you are thinking ahead. There are lots of places to go. A popular place for backpacking is the Evens Notch area in northwestern Maine. What part of Maine are ya moving to? An excellent resource is 50 Hikes in the Maine Mountains: Day Hikes and Overnights from the Rangeley Lakes to Baxter State Park by Clo Chunn, used cheap copy is avalable here http://www.amazon.com/50-Hikes-Maine...5426978&sr=1-1
    www.firstlightphotographics.com

" Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all -- in which case, you fail by default,"

To beat the grim reaper in life it's not about how long you live but how you live it.

Welcome to New England & Alpinezone.

Depending on where in Maine you live, many choices. In Western ME, they have some great hikes & you are not too far from New Hampshire's White Mountain Region. If in the Bangor region, Acadia National Park & Baxter State Park offer great hiking destinations. With Acadia, the summer season can be very busy & the bugs in Maine can be tough but many ways to deal with them.

Should be able to find some good books online before you move. AMC's site www.outdoors.org would be a good place to look for books for NH & ME.
    Happy Trails, be safe & Good Luck
    Mike P.

I am going to be in Orono and I have been up to Katadin many times but hope to explore the other areas of baxter. Also my family has a camp up in the rangely area so that is an area that I am really interested in. Evans notch huh? I'll look into it thanks
    The true traveler is he who goes on foot, and even then, he sits down a lot of the time.
    Colette (1873 - 1954)

Orono, U of M country, home to the original Pat's Pizza...lol Centally located for the whole state.

I have a place in Cumberland, my kids go camping/hiking/canoeing up at the state park in Rangely every summer. Beautiful place. Baxter is a mind blower, still not overrun by crowds like Acadia or the Whites. The state has so many lakes it should rival Minnesota. Coos Canyon, an incredible but secluded swimming hole. I would say you have something really great to look forward to.
    www.firstlightphotographics.com

" Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all -- in which case, you fail by default,"

To beat the grim reaper in life it's not about how long you live but how you live it.

Coe, Doubletop, The Owl, South Turner, The Traveler & Hamlin the "other" peak of Katahdin all worthwhile. Also Gulf Hagas.
    Mike P.

Ah, Gulf Hagas What a beautiful place! Haven't been there in so long! And Pats pizza... you are all going to make me homesick! Mabey joining this site wasn't such a great idea after all. I am driving my poor wife crazy talking non-stop about this stuff.
    The true traveler is he who goes on foot, and even then, he sits down a lot of the time.
    Colette (1873 - 1954)

Be sure to hit the 4000 footer region, saddleback, sugarloaf, abraham, and the bigelows. You can do that section of the AT from rte 16/27 to rte 4 as a several day backpacking trip.

Also, Mahoosuc Notch on the NH border is spectacular, that is another multi day traversable deal on the AT if you want to start near Gorham and head up to Grafton notch (or beyond that).

The western ME trip mark mentioned is a classic backpacking trip. Saddleback is my 2nd favorite ME destination after Katahdin & BSP.
    Mike P.

I was going to chime in with MarcHowes suggestion re: AT between 4 to stratton (16/27) I haven't done it of course but plan to this summer (I have day hiked some!) - intended to last summer - you hit a bunch of 4,000'ers and transportation logistics are very manageable

btw: moving from dallas and already have a place in rangeley! - lucky, lucky lucky

need to read, We Took to the Woods -

http://www.amazon.com/We-Took-Woods-.../dp/0892720166

and if you have young kids, Lost on a mountain in Maine -

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Mountain-Maine/dp/068811573X

both maine classics

Thread Information