• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you find the Daily Gear Deals sub-forum useful or annoying?

• Useful

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Annoying

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
I understand that advertising helps support this site, and I don't mind the banner ads or posts by Sponser , but can you exclude the daily gear deals from the new posts link. Some days it swamps the new messages.

Greg

Staff member
AFAIK, there is no way to pick and choose forums that are included in "New Posts". Secondly, the DGD posts probably only overshadowed user posts this weekend because it was slow as everyone was eating up the NNE powder...

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Have to agree with YardSaleDad on this one. I believe that if the Daily Gear Deals new posts didn't overshadow the regular Gear and Equipment posts, that forum may have more discussion. Maybe worthwhile to just make the Daily Gear Deals forum a stand alone.

Greg

Staff member
Well, it's really in the best spot. It doesn't see a ton of views so I'm willing to take it down if not many find it useful or it's too annoying. I added a poll to this thread. Please respond everybody.

Grassi21

At first I loved it, now I get annoyed by it. If someone really wants to keep up to date on SAC they can get those auto alerts.

bvibert

Staff member
Your poll is flawed, there's no option for 'indifferent' . I only look at the posts on occasion, but I don't find them annoying...

bvibert

Staff member
Perhaps a sticky, with a link to this poll, in the Daily Gear Deals forum would be a good idea. I don't know how many people check out this forum...

thetrailboss

Staff member
I understand that advertising helps support this site, and I don't mind the banner ads or posts by Sponser , but can you exclude the daily gear deals from the new posts link. Some days it swamps the new messages.

I agree with the initial post...that when clicking on the "New Posts" search, you often get many SAC threads thrown up there. I'm not sure if this is what the poll discusses...but I am wondering if it is possible to keep the subfolder and just not have the posts/threads appear as "new" (maybe already considered/answered). Maybe it won't work...I dunno....

JimG.

Staff member
I've actually been meaning to ask you the same question YSD did.

Normally I don't care, but when I'm busy at work (alot lately) all those extra new messages makes it hard to take the time to log in and start looking at new posts.

Greg

Staff member
AFAIK, there is no way to disallow certain forums from showing up in "New Posts" For now, I'm going to go ahead and collapse the DGD forum. The limited views of each thread do not warrant aggravating anyone.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I voted useful, because I do like the thread. I just don't like that it overshadows the regular gear thread. If it's too much trouble to make it a seperate thread or have it not show up in the new posts, then I would vote that you get rid of it.

hammer

I voted useful, because I do like the thread. I just don't like that it overshadows the regular gear thread. If it's too much trouble to make it a seperate thread or have it not show up in the new posts, then I would vote that you get rid of it.
Somehow I'm not surprised at your response. :wink:

I don't mind the thread, I just wish that some of the Steepandcheap deals wouldn't expire in < 5 minutes...

BTW, it's funny how just typing in the word "steep..." brings up the link.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The worst part about the S A C threads is that a new item is posted before most S A C deals even hit the wires. Kinda rubbing your nose in what you missed ;) I have the same issue with my RSS reader. I obviously am not obsessed enough to get any of the numerous alert systems out there ;)

Greg

Staff member
I discovered a way to exclude thread in a particular forum from appearing when doing a "New Posts" search. I am considering reopening the "Daily Gear Deals" forum which would include multiple vendors including SAC. This would be a sub-forum in the Gear & Equipment forum. Thoughts?