• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Can you say Viet Nam?

thetrailboss

Staff member
The whole thing is a bad deal--the horrible thing is that those who made the mistake of getting us into it are not losing anything right now.

Chalk this up to another reason why we should not have entered in the first place. We had Saddam contained like a rat. People oversimplified the war to sell it to us and nobody questioned it. In 2002 we were talking in College about how divided the Iraq was and how the different factions would not work together.

Maybe this was the class that GW skipped out on while he was at Yale.

ChileMass

I saw the TV news reports last night about the al-Qaeda guy they just picked up in Pakistan and the plans they found on him to take down more buildings in NY, Newark and Washington, and that infuriated me. Who the hell do these Islamic nuts think they are sending bombers over here to "kill as many people as possible", as the FBI guys put it? All the radical lefties that are against W and the actions in Iraq complain how arrogant and self-centered we are in going over there, well how about the arrogance and barbarism required to try to take down the Evil U.S.? 2 wrongs don't make a right, but as I recall we were the ones attacked on 9/11/01. If it happens again, the Marines will make Iraq into a parking lot. And personally I couldn't care less which Middle Eastern country we go after to teach these folks a BIG lesson. In my mind several of them (Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan) are guilty, so one is as good as the other. The message is: don't mess (edited) with the US or you pay the penalty. And standing by while terrorists operate out of your backyard is unacceptable, too. Do something about it or we will.

Semper Fi, baby -

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

M

mryan

hell yeah man? to hell with diplomacy and regard for others, let's just blow 'em all up. i'll grab my shotgun and git in my truck and drive over there now if there's gonna be free parkin'! hell yeah! let's nuke 'em? other people might hate us for that, but we will summarily hate them back? you want war, vote for bush. i know i'm gonna. you want peace, vote for kerry, that educated, foreign language speaking veteran.

M

mryan

hell, while we're at it, let's make the entire world a big goddamn parking lot. we'll get huge, gas guzzling vehicles and park 'em everywhere. hell yeah! i can see now: halliburton building parking lots for as far as the eye can see. just think: anyone who crossed would have to consider the repercussions: having their country paved. hell, let's pave france. ok, i got to go clean my gun, get the dogshit out of the pickup, and drink some beer. hell yeah man!!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i agree with uphillklimber that we should have taken out saddam in the original gulf war. leaving him in power and trying to contain iraq with sanctions only made things horrible for the iraqi people and left the threat in tact. our government then began a policy of "regime change" once it realized we screwed up. but there are no take backs. by not taking him out at that time, every year that went by legitimzied him as the ruler of the nation and i don't think our recent invasion was justified in regime change as a goal, once the original goal of WMD (ie terrorism link) proved to be a complete falsehood. personally i believe we are LESS safe now as the invasion has created more terrorists that want to kill us throughout the entire middle east, including iraqis who were not even a part of the 9/11 plot. which brings me to...

chilemass's comment in regards to al-qaeda, islamic nuts, and 9/11 which all have no relationship to iraq at all. why people continue to justify iraq's "regime change" with terrorism is so far beyond reality it's laughable when you read the cold hard facts.

i'm not for forgiving al-qaeda or the people plotting and committing acts of terrorism against our great country, far from it! let's fix this situation and hold the right people accountable. but we gotta hold the right people accountable! not any country that's ever slighted us or gone against our policies. being the so called leader of the free world means making liberal use of diplomacy and bringing rougue states under control without use of force. force only creates more enemies in these situations. but force can be legitimized if terrorism action links can be provided beyond a reasonable doubt... thus:

our response to al-qaeda was right on. find the terrorists responsible, tell them to surrender. they didn't so we went in and found them. everything following the actions in afgahnistan was terribly mis-guided imo. we really need to re-evaluate who actually is our enemy here (terrorists) and figure out how to bring them under control or eliminate them. the needless wasting of resources that is only creating more terrorist activity, not limiting it, as we have seen is ludicrous.

ChileMass

Q: At what point is our security worth fighting for? To many, there is almost no circumstance that justifies military action. Personally, I don't want to live in an environment like Israel where bombings happen every day. Better to get rid of a problem before it's happening in your hometown. If there are more bombings here in the US, there will be another worldwide financial depression like 2 years ago, and that will not be a good thing. Out of work people have a hard time finding money for ski trips and new hiking gear, for instance.

ChileMass

mryan said:
hell, while we're at it, let's make the entire world a big goddamn parking lot. we'll get huge, gas guzzling vehicles and park 'em everywhere. hell yeah! i can see now: halliburton building parking lots for as far as the eye can see. just think: anyone who crossed would have to consider the repercussions: having their country paved. hell, let's pave france. ok, i got to go clean my gun, get the dogshit out of the pickup, and drink some beer. hell yeah man!!

Go boy - I'm right with ya - !!!! :roll:

M

mryan

why, chilemass, are you a hiker? wouldn't you much rather bulldoze the mountains and pave the flatness? sad.

ChileMass

mryan said:
why, chilemass, are you a hiker? wouldn't you much rather bulldoze the mountains and pave the flatness? sad.

mryan - in 8 days I will be on the Caps Ridge trail looking down on the Great Gulf from the top of Jefferson and I can't wait to be there. After that a trip up Tuckerman's with my kids and friends, and then at least one day on the RMC trails north of Adams, so yes, I am a hiker and a skier and I love the outdoors. Not sure exactly what you mean about bulldozing and paving, but let's keep it fun here. My political thoughts on the Iraq War don't really have anything to do with my love of the outdoors......... :D

M

mryan

ummm...did you read my post? paving was a huge part of it...to which you agreed.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
to answer the previous Q, security is always worth fighting for (in a figurative sense and often literal) but my point is we better be fighting the fight people (in both senses) and not causing more problems to fight later (ie more terrorists that used to appreciate the USA).

while i want the world to live in peace, i'm not nieve enough to believe we are there yet. there are some so called peaceniks out there that believe if we decommisioned the military and preached peace the world would be a better place. certainly not for us! occasionally certain issues come up that warrent a hostile reaction. but discretion on how we use force must certainly be appreciated.

isreal is a WHOLE DIFFERENT topic. but to relate it here, isreal has caused a lot of their own problems (the violence against isreal isn't jusitified, don't get me wrong on this one), which is not unlike our own situation.