Sleeping Bag

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Bag

Question Sleeping Bag

Hey all, I bought a backpacking sleeping bag from LL Bean about 15 years ago, I used to winter camp with it on a regular basis. However I used it this last weekend and the temps were only in the low 30's and I got cold. I haven't used it in ages and I do recall storing it in a stuff sack for a while. Do sleeping bags loose thier warmth? And if so is there anyway to get it back? I really can't afford a new bag right now so any suggestions would be welcome.

The true traveler is he who goes on foot, and even then, he sits down a lot of the time.
    Colette (1873 - 1954)

What kind of insulation does it use: Synthetic or down?

Bags will lose their loft over time. Synthetics lose it quicker than down, especially if stored inside the stuff sack.
    If a synthetic bag has been exposed to heat (like storing in a hot attic) while compressed, the fibers can fuse together and lose loft.

Washing is probably the only way of salvaging lost loft.
    Wash the bag by hand or in a front loading machine on gentle cycle (use non-detergent soap, use down wash if down). Rinse it thoroughly. Put it in the drier in low heat with a few tennis balls.

If that doesn't help... I don't think there's anything else you could do.

Good luck!
    -Doug
    Sign, sign everywhere a sign... pointing out the trails, can\'t make up my mind.

Hey Thanks Doug. I am affraid that the tag is currently unreadable so is there another way to tell if it is down or synthetic?
    The true traveler is he who goes on foot, and even then, he sits down a lot of the time.
    Colette (1873 - 1954)

Hmm... what's the model and make of the bag?

Usually down bags will tend to lose some feathers through stitching and sometimes fabric - that's a tell-tale sign of down. Other than that sometimes you can feel if it's a synthetic or down bag depending on the type of synthetic used. Down is pretty compressable too, so that's another way of telling without having to cut the bag open
    Sign, sign everywhere a sign... pointing out the trails, can\'t make up my mind.

There is no model listed anywhere on the bag but it is an LL bean. I think it is synthetic from what I can tell. I have never lost any stuffing out of it but it is wicked compressable too. So I don't know. I may just try to take it back to LL bean and exchange it if washing it doesn't work.
    Colette (1873 - 1954)

That's cool, you can still wash regular down with a non-detergent soap. I'd just try washing the bag and see how it comes out... or just get a brand new one from bean if they'll give it to ya

Quote Originally Posted by Altaskibum View Post
    There is no model listed anywhere on the bag but it is an LL bean. I think it is synthetic from what I can tell. I have never lost any stuffing out of it but it is wicked compressable too. So I don't know. I may just try to take it back to LL bean and exchange it if washing it doesn't work.
    LL Bean stands behind their stuff 100%. I'd bring it back and get a new one. No sense in wondering if your wash/dry tricks worked, and finding out the hard way that the bag is still junk.

Smitty
    You have to do the hard things in life sooner or later. -- Earl Hickey's Karma Guide

Thanks, I think that is what I'll do, however I'll have to wait untill I am back up north later on this summer. I suppose that I won't need a real warm sleeping bag throught the summer in dallas anyway.
    Colette (1873 - 1954)

Quote Originally Posted by smitty77 View Post
    LL Bean stands behind their stuff 100%. I'd bring it back and get a new one.
    If the bag failed because of defect or poor design, that's one thing. But 15 years from a synthetic bag is beyond it's natural life. IMO, returning that bag for a replacement is an abuse of their excellent return policy. They'll exchange it, no questions asked, but it's still a poor idea.

Your best bet at this point is to wash it following the proper directions and store it properly. You can also look at getting a liner or overbag to extend the range of comfortable sleeping.

-dave-

I take my last comment back about getting a new one. I agree with Dave.
    -Doug

Thread Information