• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 4/15 - 4/17 Storm Discussion Thread

loafer89

It's snowing moderate/heavy here in Stratton and we decide
to take a drive up torward Sugarloaf and within a mile of leaving Sratton the roads are snowcovered.

We got to within 2 miles of the access road before turning around and following a plow back, as I did not want to repeat my escapades on slush.

It's snowing about 1" per hour there.

loafer89

It's puking snow in Stratton with 6" + on the ground and 10" at Sugarloaf with 3-5" forecast.

Hopefully we will stay all snow today.

megack

:daffy: Its school vacation week. Mountains got snow....If you had your pick of any OPEN mountain to go to this week, where would you go? which days look best?

We are coming up from Cape, have both teen and young skiiers and are very open to suggestions.

help us out.

megan

kcyanks1

:daffy: Its school vacation week. Mountains got snow....If you had your pick of any OPEN mountain to go to this week, where would you go? which days look best?

We are coming up from Cape, have both teen and young skiiers and are very open to suggestions.

help us out.

megan

What level of skiers are you? What type of terrain do you like? Are you interested in a place that has non-skiing activities as well? Is cost a factor? Driving time?

megack

DRive time under 4 hrs from Cape.

We have 5 yr old beginner, expert dad,( likes to go fast), intermediate snowboard mom, and intermediate teen (girl) skiiers.

Not too concerned with other activities as it is a 2 night (3 max if good) but a few kid friendly resturants in area might be nice.

We skied earlier for 10 days in Steamboat Colorado, so even the young one is used to Colorado greens, easy blues with lots of zig zags.

Thanks for reply. WE are looking at Okemo right now.

Megan

kcyanks1

DRive time under 4 hrs from Cape.

We have 5 yr old beginner, expert dad,( likes to go fast), intermediate snowboard mom, and intermediate teen (girl) skiiers.

Not too concerned with other activities as it is a 2 night (3 max if good) but a few kid friendly resturants in area might be nice.

We skied earlier for 10 days in Steamboat Colorado, so even the young one is used to Colorado greens, easy blues with lots of zig zags.

Thanks for reply. WE are looking at Okemo right now.

Megan

I am not especially familiar with drive times from the Cape, but I figure Southern VT is better than Northern VT in that respect. Based on what you've said, I would say that Okemo should be a good choice. It is a good mountain for intermediate skiers. If your husband is looking for real challenge (steeps, bumps, trees) he might find the mountain a little boring, but the rest of you will be very happy. As for restaurants, I have only been there a couple times, but I do recall there being a town that has a few options that should suit you well. Others might be able to give more info there.

loafer89

The is a tremendous amount of snow here at Sugarloaf. We had 12-16" of new snow since last night and 12-14" yesterday.

The snow on route 27 is higher than my car in many spots and it is still snowing.

klrskiah

The is a tremendous amount of snow here at Sugarloaf. We had 12-16" of new snow since last night and 12-14" yesterday.

The snow on route 27 is higher than my car in many spots and it is still snowing.

thanks.. keep them updates coming!!! I'll be driving up early tomorrow morning.

how was the wind today?

any mixing going on tonight?

loafer89

Right now we have light snow here in Stratton with a coating since dusk. The NWS says 3-5" for the higher elevations.

The wind today was flat calm except above the top of the T-bar where it was gusty hiking up to Spillway X-cut.

Parking and getting around the village has been lousy due to excessive snowfall and poor snow removal.

Hopefully we will have the superquad and spillway open tomorrow as neither of them ran at all today.

loafer89

The wind has really picked up in the last hour here in town, so there will probably be wind hold with long side double runner and the T-bar. The hike to Spillway is short and keeps the powder fresh longer.

Hopefully we can get the superquad running. The snow is so good we are staying until thursday.

Be prepared to see an amazing amount of snow.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
I am not especially familiar with drive times from the Cape, but I figure Southern VT is better than Northern VT in that respect. Based on what you've said, I would say that Okemo should be a good choice. It is a good mountain for intermediate skiers. If your husband is looking for real challenge (steeps, bumps, trees) he might find the mountain a little boring, but the rest of you will be very happy. As for restaurants, I have only been there a couple times, but I do recall there being a town that has a few options that should suit you well. Others might be able to give more info there.

I was there on Saturday and it was in nice shape but only a few lifts were open. Your husband should try snowboarding there. :razz: Not a bad choice for a family adventure.