• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tropical Storm Bonnie and Hurricane Charley

N

NH_Mtn_Hiker

The weather had better clear up by Sunday afternoon. I'm spending 3 days, 2 nights in the Presi's and I want my views. :D

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I'm actually starting to get very concerned about the crossings more than anything else (even wind and slippery above-treeline rocks). There is already a
...FLOOD WATCH FOR MOST OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, THE MOUNTAINS AND
FOOTHILLS OF WESTERN MAINE, AND THE WESTERN HALF OF NORTHERN
MAINE...
and my route for this weekend includes descending the Osgood Trail into the Great Gulf, and the Old Jackson Road back to Pinkham. I know there are crossings in there ... are they bridged? I've seen small brooks roar impassably and it ain't pretty.

MtnMagic

Yes, if I remember correctly, there is a very nice suspension bridge (I'll bet you'll take a pic!) over the West Branch of the Peabody River to cross to ease your concerns. Not a problem!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
We cancelled. It's too much rain, combined with the possibility of gale force winds, and the mileage above treeline presents too many risks for it to be worth it. There's fun in a challenge, and I do like the idea of sitting snugly in a hut while a storm rages outside, but having torrential rain being wind-driven at 50mph into our faces would just suck, and if the summits are going to be inaccessible there's no reason to try.
:(

MtnMagic

Here is the show:

September 18 & 19, 2004 at Rivers and Trails in Caratunk, Maine.

This will hopefully be the last time I ask this question. This is more than a WhiteBlaze get together. It is also Trail Magic for thru-hikers and anyone who has a interest in the Appalachian Trail. So if you know someone that wants to come that is not a member of WhiteBlaze then please drag them along also. If you know someone that is a prospective thru-hiker or section hiker then drag them along also.

I need to get a feeling of how many WhiteBlaze members will be attending the 18 September get together. I need to know how much food and drinks we need to acquire. So could you please vote on the voting poll that I created so that I can get a feel of how many people will be attending. I have come up with a sort of agenda for the first day. If anyone has any ideas please feel free to post them. This is the first time I have ever done an event like this so I can use all the help and suggestions I can get.
1. Arrivals through out the day. Will have a trail register style signup sheet.
2. Socializing and meting others.
3. Cooking for thru-hikers passing through.
4. Start cooking for free meal around 4:30.
5. 7 PM, WhiteBlaze welcome announcement and explain about the web site and where it is and where we hope to have it go.
6. Introductions, Who are you/trail name, when have you hiked and when are you going to hike ect…
7. 8 PM, Baltimore Jack’s Question and answers session for prospective hikers.
8. Campfire on into the night.

Here are some other options we are looking into.

1. Swimming trip up to The Forks for a bridge jumping trip.
2. Canoe trip down the Kennebec River on Sunday.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Actually 9/18 is the weekend of the first half of my best man duties that culminate in October (otherwise I'd be in the Catskills that weekend).

An AlpineZone get-together (akin to the VFTT Gatherings) sounds like a fine idea ... much like the Hancock trip this past summer, only with (hopefully) more people.
8)

N

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Ummm....OK, sounds good Magic.
Where? Anyplace with showers.
When?
and What do we hike during the day? :D

I love camping.
I love hiking.
I love camping and Hiking :lol:

This place was nice.
http://www.countrybumpkins.com/

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Was woken up twice last night by phenomenally heavy rains coming down. Looked out the window and would not want to have been outside. Staying home this weekend, right decision.

ChileMass

Contrast that with the fact that my driveway is barely wet here in the Worcester area, so we are heading north today. National Weather Service still has a flood watch up for the entire western ME/northern NH region, saying some towns got a bunch of rain last nite while nearby areas got little. Still predicting at least an inch of rain across the whole WMNF area with local amounts of 3" or more today plus more on Sunday!! Our campsite is directly on the Ellis River, so we'll see what happens when we get there.......could be a fast exit......

Greg

Staff member
Charley is a Cat 3. Look out Tampa! :eek:

Greg

Staff member
weather.com is down too...

Jim W

Na, I wouldn't kid about a hurricaine.
It's a category 4 and the newest track is into Fort Myers, a bit south of the original Tampa track.
But, it's a big ol' storm, so Tampa will still get flooding.
The long term track is right into New England by Sunday (obviously it will be weakened severely) but, stay tuned Sportsfans.

N

NH_Mtn_Hiker

...The long term track is right into New England by Sunday...
That's fine, as long as it clears up for Monday's Souther Presi Traverse. :D

Greg

Staff member
Jim W said:
The long term track is right into New England by Sunday (obviously it will be weakened severely) but, stay tuned Sportsfans.
I wonder how much punch it will have left. It strengthened quite a bit today so I wonder if it will hold on to tropical storm status by the time it reaches us...?