• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SOLO - Wilderness First Responder Review

czimborbryan

I had just returned home from a 9-day Wilderness First Responder course through SOLO Wilderness & Emergency Medicine. I was originally dredding the long class, but it turned out to be one of the best vacations ever.

Joslin was our instructor and she was very informative with just the right touch of slapstick to keep people laughing and alert. The hands-on approach with full make-up scenarios helped to keep us on our toes for the unexpected. By the end we were all very confident in our abilities to treat injuries in the backcountry and had an absolute blast in the process.

I highly recommend taking this course.

cbcbd

Cool, I've been considering... but it's just hard to justify taking so much vacation days for that course... I already have other courses I'd like to take too, so I gotta make a choice...

Are you planning on doing any backcountry guiding now?

czimborbryan

I used to be an alpine backpacking guide in the Black Hills of South Dakota and the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming. I am now in Therapeutic Recreation and will be leading shorter excursions into the backcountry for helping to treat abused and neglected youth.

Again, the class is really worth the time. I wish I had brought my wife to enjoy the class too.

Goblin84

I have often thought about taking this course. I have the vacation time (working at a college means not much going on in the summers) ...just a matter of coughing up a few hundred bucks which is big for poor struggling college grads

czimborbryan

The first time that I took Advanced Wilderness First Aid was when my employer paid for it. I would suggest getting a summer job as a guide at a summer camp or outfitter and let them foot the bill. :razz:

Goblin84

yeah, already have that full time job thing. Maybe I can convince the outting dept on campus to pay for it

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Wilderness First Aid

Dredging up an old topic.

I just signed up for the basic Wilderness First Aid course, it's 2 8-hour days over the weekend. Vendor is SOLO, sponsored by AMC. For my personal use and any unfortunate soul I may happen upon. It's also well under $200 which makes the course financially more palatable to the average hiker than the Advanced or First Responder.

It is dreadful to stand around not knowing what to do or not to do. I've previously taken Red Cross First Aid and CPR and this looks to be head and shoulders above that. I call the RC courses "city first aid" where you know you'll have an EMT onsite in 5-10 mins. I know first hand that help is often hours away when you are in the woods, and knowing what to do during that time is essential.

catskills

For no cost to you, you can take a certified state EMT-B class for free in the evenings if you volunteer and join the local fire department EMS or local EMS rescue squad in your community.

You need to stay in the game to keep your patient assessment skills at their peak.

Some fire departments also then pay for water rescue and high/low angle rescue classes, which you may be interested in taking. Many states like NY give you a $200 credit (discount) on your state taxes if you are a member of a volunteer fire dept. or rescue squad.

To stay on top of your game I would suggest taking an EMT-B class in your state and working as a volunteer EMT with your local fire department or part time paid EMT-B in your community. Taking a Wilderness & Emergency Medicine class is nice. Unfortunately, not putting what you learned to use on real patients is not going to be very useful 2 or 3 years after the class.

Optionally, you may also want to drive ambulances, fire trucks or be an interior fire fighter. Its fun volunteering to climb a ladder with 35 lbs or fire fighting gear with air pack and going into a smoked filled room.

Link to EMT forum http://www.emtlife.com/

BTW another option is National Ski Patrol Outdoor Emergency Class (OEC), which runs about 80 hours of training for a very reasonable price of $60. Check out classes in your area on www.nsp.org, which is down right now until 8/17/2009.

Last edited:

Connecticut

Website
www.ctxguide.com
For no cost to you, you can take a certified state EMT-B class for free in the evenings if you volunteer and join the local fire department EMS or local EMS rescue squad in your community.

FYI - The Wilderness First Responder Course covers first aid techniques exclusive for a non-urban environment. You can be a wilderness EMT, but there are definitely differences with some of the techniques VS a standard EMT.

As for the simple Wilderness First Aid, I would recommend the Advanced Wilderness First Aid because it covers more of the life-threatening treatments.

catskills

FYI - The Wilderness First Responder Course covers first aid techniques exclusive for a non-urban environment. You can be a wilderness EMT, but there are definitely differences with some of the techniques VS a standard EMT.

As for the simple Wilderness First Aid, I would recommend the Advanced Wilderness First Aid because it covers more of the life-threatening treatments.
Connecticut - As a NY State EMT-B volunteer with local Fire Department and member of NSP trained in OEC I understand the differences between urban and outdoor wilderness first aid. Your right there is a difference. That said, in many situations the patent assessment and patient care is the same in both urban and non-urban environments.

nice sounds like an awesome trip!!!! remember to stay safe in the woods.I try to have a safety meeting often,,

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

BTW another option is National Ski Patrol Outdoor Emergency Class (OEC), which runs about 80 hours of training for a very reasonable price of $60. Check out classes in your area on www.nsp.org, which is down right now until 8/17/2009.

Thanks for publicizing the options. In my case, I've made the very deliberate choice to enroll in a 2-day WFA, after experienceing a rescue first-hand. Unfortunately, my life's position has consumed most available hours and vacation days; I am at the wrong point in my life to make commitments to rescue squads or SAR teams.

I am certain that what I can learn in two days will be of sufficient value for a 2-day commitment and that it can and will be useful.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

I wholeheartedly agree that AWFA is a sound investment.

I have elected to break my training into two pieces, since my life's commitments with family and work consume most of my life and vacation time, which is why most of my hiking is relegated to day trips. There is no way I can take four contiguous days away. The Hulbert Center has a practicable approach, breaking AWFA into two 2-day weekend pieces.

It's my understanding that Advanced provides more in-depth on each topic, more hands-on improvisational practice and more leadership. In talking with the leaders, I did not get the impression that additional life-threatening injuries were covered.

I would also have to disagree with "catskills" on his or her comment, "Unfortunately, not putting what you learned to use on real patients is not going to be very useful 2 or 3 years after the class." Being aware of the issues, what to do, what not to do, can still be greatly useful, even though you are not crafted at it. This I saw first hand as various people came to assist. Some had no idea, some knew that I should not continue walking, knowing when to call for help, when to wait, are crucial. I think your comment is appropriate at an EMT level of service, which I do not aspire to.

I hope I'm never in a position to need to dispense anything. But nothing would be worse than being in an incident and not having any clue. With that thought, I'm off to class in November....

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I was a volunteer EMT for many years. It's very rewarding. I'm no longer certified, but it's like to do ems again, I just don't have the time.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm just back from WFA class. I loved it. In fact, I don't feel real confident, now that I know what I don't know. I'm now motivated to go on to advanced to get into more detail. However,after living through a rescue, there are a huge number of learnings. I am confident that if I REMEMBER everything, I'll be fine. So with that in mind, a quick checklist goes into my pack, along with certain things I might not have before considered.

Having seen first hand the process: first, second assessment, plan, etc. is a methodology that can be applied anytime, years later. I'm not medically trained, and I don't consider Red Cross courses to be training for wilderness experience, so most everything except bandaging was new to me.

16 hours over 2 days is long, but it is so chock-packed with info, tests and drills that it's going to take a lot of time to internalize it. The war stories during breaks and lunch were invaluable. Good news is that I have other hikers to bounce it off of. Yeah, it was quite a sacrifice of a beautiful weekend, but it's an investment I'll have forever.

Do it.

Connecticut

Website
www.ctxguide.com
I would recommend with each renewal taking the next level up. In other words WFA to AWFA to WFR to WEMT. This will not only keep your skills up, but it will also provide enough challenge to stay engaged.

Safe Hiking.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I would recommend with each renewal taking the next level up. In other words WFA to AWFA to WFR to WEMT. This will not only keep your skills up, but it will also provide enough challenge to stay engaged.

Safe Hiking.

The plan is to advance to AWFA. Problem with WFR and EMT is that there is no time in my life for that much away time and the remainder of my obligations :(

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

Safe Hiking.

AFA is rarely offered any more. Even though I'd like to see it. Right from SOLO's mouth. I'm not in a position to devote five days to WFR.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Bump

Did WFA refresher in Lowell MA last weekend. Felt more like a AWFA or WFR course this time. I went once before, (this time as a refresher) but this was way better. Definite Brain Overload, but enough info to last a lifetime. Everyone should do this one.

There is another one slated for REI Reading, Mass in January.
http://www.rei.com/event/32704/session/40870

Wilderness First Aid at REI Reading
Begins: 1/21/2012 9:00 a.m.
Event Location: REI Reading
Event Fee: See event details
Ends: 1/22/2012 6:00 p.m. (EST)
Instructor: WMI & REI Instructors
Description: REI is collaborating with the Wilderness Medicine Institute of NOLS to offer a comprehensive two day course that will teach you the wilderness medicine skills you need to recreate with confidence in the backcountry. From the Patient Assessment System through traumatic, medical, and environmental emergencies, you'll experience a wide variety of topics designed to prepare you to act if an accident occurs. This is a 16 hour course over two days. The course begins at 9am each day and runs through 6pm, with an one hour break midday. Minimum age is 16 years old. You will have both in store classroom time and hands on practice scenarios. Practice scenarios may take place outside in various weather conditions; be prepared for inclement weather. No prerequisites required. Successful completion results in a Wilderness Medicine Institute of NOLS Wilderness First Aid certification. This course may be used to recertify Wilderness First Responder, Wilderness Advanced First Aid and Wilderness EMT (wilderness portion only) certifications if you hold a current/in grace year WMI certification. Participants using the WFA to recertify their WFR need to pass both a written and a practical test.