• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A pair from PA

Mike P.

Date(s) Hiked: 04-20-2007

Trails(s) Hiked: AT north ffrom Little Gap near Leigh Gap

Total Distance: about 4 miles RT

Difficulty: Moderate at most, elevation gain of only 500 feet but pretty rocky

Conditions: Some water ealy on but overall dry, Bear Mt. Ski area is visible in a few spots & while closed, some man-made snow remained

Special Required Equipment: Boots, I only had choice of sneakers or mountaineering boots which would have been overkill

Trip Report: Started about 3:30 & hiked for about two hours, no leaves on the trees but buds are beginning to bloom. Where possible, some good views of PA landscape, Plenty of Turkey Vultures gliding about, first PA hike since 1995 to Mt. Davis.

Date(s) Hiked: 04-24-2007

Trails(s) Hiked: Side trail & AT to Pinnacle

Total Distance: approx. 4.2 RT

Difficulty: Easy to Moderate, more difficult for others I met

Conditions: Warm, trail in good shape, not as rocky as the area around Little Gap except for the very top.

Special Required Equipment: timing, light boots

Trip Report: Another warm day & apparently so close to earth day, two girls I met on the top decided to do some sunbathing, one I believe clothing optional. Approach to the top gives people a bit of a view of people coming, as i appraoched top, one girl pulled tank top into place while another was only able to cover up with a towel. She never moved, keeping towel covering all but her friend enjoyed taking her picture with me in the background. I took in the great views - OF THE PA LANDSCAPE - had a quick bite to eat & some water & left. (estimate the girls to be 17-23 or young enough that they could have been my kids!)

On the way out met a guy originally from PA, now living in DE who forgot his boots so he was going as far as his flip- flops would let him.

Mike P.

At approximately twice their age, or more, it was more uncomfortable than anything else, the friend taking pictures was enjoying herself, the girl under the towel was embarrassed but covered & since I will very likely never be back there again, I wanted to see the scenery. I wasn't sure what to do, so I ate quickly & left (one Power Bar)

Had they asked for me to turn around (she wasn't really in the way of the countryside views so I wasn't looking) I would have turned around or otherwise respected her privacy.

We were all hot, although none of us were hot. I'd be more jealous of hiking without snow!