• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tripoli Road triple play.

dirt_girl

Date(s) Hiked: August 14 2004

Trails(s) Hiked: Osceola and Tecumseh

Total Distance: 14.6 Miles/5350ft.elevation gain. (That can't be right?)

Difficulty: None

Conditions: Sunny, clear and warm.

Special Required Equipment: None

Trip Report: It’s hard to fine anything good about being up and on the road before 4:30 in the morning. However, I believe when you make the effort sometimes you are richly rewarded and this morning at a time between dark and day, the images were surreal and sublime.
I raced the city lights and the encroaching dawn north, to a dark stretch of road hoping to catch a falling star, a leftover from the meteor shower but the morning won and I was captivated for several moments by the perfect artistry of sunrise.
When I entered the woods on the Osceola Trail it was quite early. I was immediately struck by a powerful reverence for the sanctuary I had just stepped into. The term “still life” took on a completely different meaning other than that which is relative to art. In a place so full of life, the silence was deafening. My footsteps on the gritty path seemed an abomination to this tranquility.
The journey to Mt. Osceola was effortless other than negotiating the ankle breaking, rock strewn path at the beginning. The ruggedness of the trail reminded me of hikes I had done back home, in the Sierra’s. The trail is quite narrow in places forcing you to keep close company with the newest generation of hungry mosquitoes and it was nearly impossible to keep dry from contact with the brush. The people responsible for the construction of this trail have my total admiration. The switch backs are a thing of beauty to a hiker who hates the severe vertical of the East Coast trails. Further up, when I caught the first glimpses of forever, the trail became quite wet. In fact the trail had become in many places, a small creek bed. The storms had washed rocks and soil from under trees leaving those roots, as well as, the roots running across the trail more exposed. In many places where the rock ledges met the trail, there was little trail left. As I neared the summit and the trail leveled off, the pools of standing water were waiting for me at every turn. I grew tired of trying to skirt around these watering holes and marched straight through them. Reaching the summit, I had all the sunshine and the views to myself. I stretched out, lounging in the warmth, had a snack and got completely lost in the serenity of the moment.
After awhile I was compelled to move on by remembering the description of the trail to East Osceola. The steep part didn’t particularly thrill me but the chimney sure did! Leaving the summit the erosion from the storms was also quite evident. I descended to the left of the chimney and ascended, also with little effort, the treed in East Osceola peak. (From a boulder about half way to the summit there is a nice view of the Kancamagus.) I scrambled right up the chimney on the return trip. It was a quick, totally fun, climb and I reached Osceola to find the summit crawling with people. I said my good mornings, breathed in the view once more and made my way down the mountain. I lost count of how many people I met on the descent and was glad to have been on the summit before most of them were out of bed.

Something unexpected happened on the way out Tripoli Road...

I came across another trail head to Mt.Tecumseh and it wasn’t even close to noon yet. I figured I had the time and the mountain was right there… so I crossed the steady Eastman Brook, with its newly defined high water markings and started out on exactly the type of trail I absolutely detest. It went straight up for as far as I could see!! However, once on a trail I will only turn back for reasons of extreme importance to my survival and the shift in my mood didn’t qualify. So I continued up, mentally reprimanding the individuals responsible for the design and construction of this particular trail. My sour mood was short lived as the lush, thick forest stretched out from the trail in every direction and offered up quite a variety of bird conversations and some mysterious rustlings. There was green like I’ve never experienced before, a dense carpet of ferns seemed to cover the entire mountain side. There were leaves on the path with the rich colours of fall on them and I was fascinated by the tiniest white mushrooms growing just off the trail and some of the largest fungi growing off the sides of trees, stopping often to investigate. I was also surprised not to have seen or heard another hiker as the parking lot was full. Although, I did finally meet a large family with many children at the first real level ground since leaving the brook. Believing this to be the Mt. Tecumseh summit they were stopping for lunch. A quick check of the map and I knew I had about another mile to go. I hiked through a stand of lifeless grey pines where the trail narrowed considerably. At times I could not see what I was about to step on or more accurately trip over. The level between the two peaks was swampy for a short way and then a somewhat rocky climb to the top. I was told this summit was treed in and found this not to be intirely true. I found with a bit of moving about, there were views to be had. Being alone at first, I eventually shared this peak with 8 people and 4 well behaved dogs. All of them had come up from the Waterville Valley side of the trail. This helped explain the overgrown section of the trail on my side. My lunch and the conversations had left me pleasantly full as I bid farewell and started for home. I stopped to investigate the side path leading to the lunch site of that large family. A generation of new trees made the views from here difficult but I was delighted to see the site completely absent of any human presents. The descent was different in that I was now blessed with a panoramic view of this incredibly serene forest and I got to travel straight down. I felt strong in spirit and delighted to have had a good portion of the day to myself surrounded by elements of perfection.
While not making a conscience decision to hike three, 4000 footers in one trip, I was excited to have met the challenge and surprised to confirm I have completed one half of the official listed peaks in just 11 weeks!! I celebrated with a hot shower, a steak dinner with an ice cold beer and the best sleep I’ve had since the night before!!

dirt_girl

SilentCal

Some of the best hikes are the ones that are not planned!!!

Yep, the beginning of the Osceola trail is rocky and rough. Did you catch the sidepath to the left at the former site of the first firetower. A nice view there. One of these days I'm going to have to camp out up there.

24 peaks in 11 weeks. Most Excellent! Keep :smash: those peaks!

dirt_girl

Yup, thought the first fire tower blocks was the sumit. Played around for a bit, all kinds of little rabbit trails up there. Without question, that would be an excellent place to camp. But there are massive volumes of people up there or did I just see alot because it was a nice day?

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Excellent! That's a terrific 3-pack of peaks. The only way to make it better is to through-hike it from the Kanc all the way to the ski area, but as a solo hiker such things do not come to us easily.

24 peaks in 11 weeks? Cool! Just prepare for what's up next when you finish ... Vermont isn't bad but those peaks in Maine are a LONG way away!

dirt_girl

Hey... :D Michael, I think I'll wait until I have a bit more experience before I start through-hiking but I have some really good hikes resting in the back of my mind for next summer, multi peaks, and multi days!!
After I finish? Doesn't protocol require that I “red line” after all 48 peaks? :eek:

SilentCal

Redlining is more of a benign goal. I'm more or less trying to rehike the peaks I had lousy weather on the first time and trying new routes to others. The Tripyramids are a much different hike from Livermore Road than from the Pine Bend/Sabbaday Loop for instance. Best advice is to hike your own hike, enjoy the outdoors. The lists will always be there but the mountains ain't going anywhere either.

MtnMagic

Another great hike and trip report!

No protocol on the redlining. Whatever mountain or trail you wish to repeat or hike will be there for you hiking enjoyment. I like them all. Some of the 3k' have fantastic views and are a nice challenge.

Enjoy all your hikes -- we enjoy reading about your adventures!

dirt_girl

SC... :D you are so wise and so right. I was simi-jesting about the "red line" thing. For me it's not about the "list"... it's really all about the beauty and adventure. The list helps me in becomming familiar with the White Mountains... I'm not from here. I would love to re-visit the peaks where I missed the views due to poor weather and I would also love to re-hike the fun trails like Caps Ridge and Flume Slide, long before I would subscribe to another list!!! I should be embarrassed for all the time I spend pouring over the trail maps and daydreaming of hikes. I think there is plenty in "them thar hills" to keep me busy for a long time.
Just for giggles and grins I am hiking Mt. Chocorua tomorrow, I hear there is beauty and an adventure in it... :D

dirt_girl

MtnMagic

A nice scramble to the summit no matter what trail you ascend. The above tree line, 360 degree fantastic views will certainly make you grin and smile. You'll return here again, for sure. You're going to love 3,475' Mt Chocorua!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Chocorua is an amazing peak, and you look to be having great weather! Enjoy the scrambles and ledges (easy) on the ridge; views are immense in all directions, back up to the mountains or out across the lakes into Maine.

My recommendation, especially with the recent rains, is the Champney Falls Trail (including, of course, a visit to Champney and Pitcher Falls). As you might guess, I do have pics in my album.
:D

dirt_girl

Chocorua is an amazing peaK!!! :D Wow, just got back!!!
Trip report soon, after I deal with my e-mail. :eek:
Michael, you'll be happy to know I didn't take the trail you suggested...I had an adventure!!! :wink:

dirt_girl

Hiking New England

Website
www.HikingNewEngland.com
I know this post is old, but I camped at Tripoli Road this summer and didn't quite have the "best" experience. Here is a snippet from my report:

"... Ok, I know it's a holiday and I know we went there to hang out with some peeps, drink some beers, play some guitar, see some nature and relax, but let me tell you - this place was FULL of party-heavy people. From the second we got there, the hills echoed with screams, music, megaphones (yes, megaphones), cars beeping, and about every other college party sound you could dream up. At one point, around midnight Saturday, there was even a parade of drunken people cheering and beeping as they drove back from another set of sites up the road. It should be noted that the "other" set sites had a live band... yes, a live band at the campsite.

We were rowdy, but the overall noise and party level around us shocked me. If you are looking for a tear-it-up night wearing togas and playing beer pong, this is the place. If you want to get out with the family - don't bother.

Another interesting issue that took me by surprise was the number of ticks. I grew up working outdoors and I know that ticks are out there, but the number of these things was absolutely incredible. No joke, I reckon that out of about five people i talked to, there were twenty or so that people plucked off. I shooed about four off me, and few off the tent, tables, beers, and food... and just about everything else around. They were bad, no two ways around it. Just getting home and unpacking produced about three or four more. One of which was attached to one of our legs... yikes. ..."

All in all it was a good night, but if you plan on waking up early and hiking I'm not sure I'd plan on getting much sleep.

If you are interested, here is the full review:
http://www.hikingnewengland.com/index.php?showtopic=293

Cheers