• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trailboss' Paddling Reports: Summer 2007 (Now WITH PICS!)

thetrailboss

Staff member
I just got a kayak and will be checking out some of the area's lakes, rivers, and ponds. Stay tuned here for reports and more info.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: April 28, 2007

2007 Trip Report #: 1

Conditions: Low water, swift currents due to spring release.

Weather: Clouds. Temps in the high 60's. Water temps in the 40's maybe.

Trip Report: The Maiden Voyage. Decided to go to Ledyard after seeing that the Wilder Dam was releasing water, and the usually large lake in Wilder was shallow and pretty rapid. I put in where the swimming dock usually is. Found that the current was pretty fast...rode it out to just past the bridge and then paddled up stream past the boat houses, rode it back down.

Just a bit too fast at this point...and the water was cold. Will be back when the river is more normal.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: April 28, 2007

2007 Trip Report #: 2

Conditions: Calm waters, no wind.

Weather: Clouds. Temps in the high 60's. Water temps in the 40's maybe.

Trip Report: Well, my spin on the Connecticut was a let down, so I decided to go to Storr's Pond because I had time to spare and it was too nice to just go home. I pulled into the lot to find a family...with kids swimming :eek: After speaking with the Mom about boats and our new rack, I pushed off the beach and headed out on the .75-1 mile long pond. Thanks to the woman for advice as to where to paddle this summer....

For the next 2:30 I was in pure bliss. The water was flat. I spent the time getting the feel for my boat. I dig it. Nice ride...stable, fast, and tracks well. I was able to get into some narrow channels and cruise right along the shoreline. Turns on a dime. Really happy with the boat.

Got close to some ducks, but no other wildlife to be seen except for some spring frogs chirping on the side of the water.

I made 2 full laps of the pond, which is a narrow body of water with some character. The water temp was not as cold as the river...feet went numb after a minute as opposed to 15 seconds. I closed by doing the main part of the pond before heading back to the beach.

Beside the beach/swimming area is a small channel, which is fed by a tributary. Was able to scoot into the channel and even up the stream a ways! It was a nice "runway" for fooling around.

The boat is really comfortable and the seat is nice. The padding is great.

A nice afternoon....will certainly be back.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: April 30, 2007

2007 Trip Report #: 3

Conditions: Calm waters, a stiff wind at times.

Weather: Clouds. Temps in the high 50's. Water temps in the 40's maybe.

It was a cold paddle. Interesting trip over...the kayak came off the car at one point because of the wind :eek: And it was a :x day overall. So I did not paddle too well....the boat was tacking a bit too much and I was really struggling. Adjusting seat and pedals was tough tonight...I was a mess. It was nice to get out. Scared a beaver and a Great Blue Heron.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: May 1, 2007

2007 Trip Report #: 4

Conditions: Calm waters, no wind.

Weather: Clouds. Temps in the low 60's.

I couldn't resist getting out in the sun that we had...the first sun in almost a week! When I went out to put the boat on the car this morning, I was surprised at how chilly it was. The car said 49 F at 10:30am.

At 4pm, I left Dartmouth and drove the 2 miles or so to the Storr's Pond. Nobody was there...no wind and sun. Got on the water and found the boat again...got a good rhythm and into the flow. I did see a large bird of some kind...maybe a bald eagle (didn't look big enough). Also saw a snapping turtle up close.

Two laps around the pond and some horsing around in the few inlets there were.

thetrailboss

Staff member
May 8, 2007 (With PICS!)

Date: May 8, 2007

2007 Trip Report # : 5

Conditions: Calm waters for the most part, some wind on the southern end that made for some choppy water.

Weather: Sunny for a change!!! 8) . Temps in the 70's. :beer:

Ms. Trailboss joined me for her first spin in her boat. We put in at 5pm and it was perfect timing....just cool enough to be comfortable, but warm enough for a T-shirt and shorts. Did three laps around the pond. Variable conditions...calm at the northern end and some choppy small waves at the southern end on one lap. The water level had dropped, as I found out when I went up one of the inlets and got a bit stuck....oh well.

The boat and I were one today....it was nice. I also noted that I was able to go faster than Ms. TB in her boat and I was tracking straighter. I have not tried her boat yet, but want to at some point. She really liked her boat and she said it handled well and she had a good time...we were out there for a solid two hours! Three laps and some playing in the inlets...all good. Nice now that exams and classes are done! We saw the resident kingfisher and several ducks. Nothing else exotic....

Some pics:

Trailboss coming in for a landing:
DSCN0821.JPG

The boats on the beach:

DSCN0822.JPG

The Summer Boating Gallery. Or at least the start of one! :wink:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: May 9, 2007

2007 Trip Report # : 6

Conditions: Calm waters for the most part, some wind on the southern end that made for some choppy water. Wind picked up at times…making it interesting.

Weather: Sunny for a change!!! 8) . Temps in the 70's-80’s. :beer:

Report: Well, first time without the training wheels per se. Left Storr’s Pond and headed to Killington for some skiing and paddling. After skiing, I headed to the water:

DSCN0823.sized.jpg

I got to the water at 1:30 or so, only 10 minutes from Bear Mountain and literally 4 miles from the Old Sunrise Base Area. I had lunch and waited for the other folks to get their canoe in the water.

DSCN0849.JPG

From the launch, I headed north around that end of the reservoir, by the Farm and Field Entrance, and then around the eastern shoreline of the first peninsula, and then around to the furthest inlet on the east….around the eastern shoreline and then around the main part of the lake, where the wind was the strongest. I saw the loon in the main part and watched as he dove for fish and popped up several hundred feet from where he was. Amazing.

I looped around the western side, staying as far as I could away from the noise of Route 100. At one point in the lake there is a very shallow spot, marked by a cairn which the campers built (I assume). From here, I cut across the lake and caught up with my winged loon friend. After watching him, I cut into the middle inlet and around the beaver lodge and back to the launch. Two hours total. Good paddle, but I was not in top form.

Some pics:

DSCN08501.JPG

DSCN0848.JPG

An interesting body of water and only minutes from Killington.

The children's camp on that lake is enormous and has some really nice buildings and many, many boat launches and swimming areas.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: May 10, 2007

2007 Trip Report # : 7

Conditions: Calm waters. Very calm. Water temps in the 50's (very warm).

Weather: Sunny for a change!!! 8) . Temps in the 70's-80’s. :beer:

Report: On my first outing, I had heard from another local that Goose Pond was a great place to paddle. I did my research and found that it was fairly close by and was a pretty good sized body of water.

I made the trip over today. It is the body of water that is visible from Moose Mountain and Holt's Ledge.

The boat launch is relatively new and has a great park complete with new picnic areas and a small beach.

I spent two hours and covered most of the pond. I started out and headed north into the small bay area. After that, I headed south along the western shoreline and around the island (be careful of the rocks which are right below the surface in places! They are marked).

I was one of three boats on the lake and it was a sheet of glass for most of the day. In the afternoon, the wind picked up a bit cooling things off. On the way back, I headed around the island and then cut back across the width of the lake to view the Loon. He checked me out and then took a dive and reappeared on the other side of the lake! What nice birds. Hope that they are nesting in the area.

From the lake, one can see Holt's Ledge, Winslow (both the Dartmouth Ski Way), Moose Mountain (north and south) as well as other local hills. It was very quiet....very nice.

Some pics:

The start of the trip...look how flat the water is:

DSCN0856.JPG

On the lake: (a great shot!)

DSCN0857.JPG

Holt's Ledge:

DSCN0858.JPG

Moose Mountain:

DSCN0860.JPG

And the Loon:

DSCN0862.JPG

loafer89

If you want to try some mild whitewater in Vermont, the White river between Stockbridge and Bethel is a solid class II and is fun. I also have experience on the Battenkill and the West river near West Dummerston which is a class I.

The Androscoggin River in Northern New Hampshire is also fun with lots of mild class I and a few class II parts. This river is unique in that it is heavily impounded and has water year round. Route 16 also folows the river which makes shuttling easy.

I am going to teach my son how to paddle on our town lake this summer and get him ready for some mild whitewater on the Housatonic.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If you want to try some mild whitewater in Vermont, the White river between Stockbridge and Bethel is a solid class II and is fun. I also have experience on the Battenkill and the West river near West Dummerston which is a class I.

The Androscoggin River in Northern New Hampshire is also fun with lots of mild class I and a few class II parts. This river is unique in that it is heavily impounded and has water year round. Route 16 also folows the river which makes shuttling easy.

I am going to teach my son how to paddle on our town lake this summer and get him ready for some mild whitewater on the Housatonic.

The White River is a mile from our place...so we are definitely planning on trying it out! :beer:

loafer89

The White River is usually only runable in the spring or after a rain. I kayaked it in late May after skiing at Killington.

Your best bet is to get the AMC River Guide to New Hampshire and Vermont. I own it and read up and scout each river before running it.

We paddle inflatable kayaks which are much harder if not impossible to flip and I do not do an eskimo roll, which you should know how to do in a hardshell kayak.

thetrailboss

Staff member
May 26, 2007: Connecticut River (Wilder to Ledyard)

Date: May 26, 2007

2007 Trip Report # : 8

Conditions: Calm waters for the most part, some wind at times and a slow current heading down stream.

Weather: Sunny 8) . Temps in the 70's-80’s. :beer: Water in the 50's.

Report: Holiday is here and the weather was great. We decided to stay local....have a BBQ at the park and a nice paddle upstream to Ledyard and back. I was very :D and :eek: to have such a nice body of water to paddle literally 2 miles from home...lots of interesting things to see, little nooks and crannies. Two or three islands that are open to the public...two of them with grills and public camping areas. Very nice.

It was about three miles from end to end. We went right up the middle. Some stiff winds at times, but nice otherwise. Lots of other folks on the water in their kayaks and canoes. Good, friendly bunch overall. Water level is still about a foot below where it normally is in the summer, which will help with the rocks and shallow areas.

NH State Police had a patrol boat out...keeping control of things. Lots of Dartmouth students....some brave enough to swim! Very nice paddle. Not too fast, not too slow. Got to ride the current back to the park and enjoy a great evening barbecue. Though I picked up enough cans and bottles to pay for our gas. That's a good thing...leave the place better than you found it.

At sunset, the water was still. Very inviting for paddling. We're going back out on Monday and Ms. TB wants to spend more time on the water. :beer:

Really digging the kayaking thing.....very relaxing and fun. Hook it up with a BBQ and you've got it made. We may be getting a hibachi from a friend....if it is small enough, I smell paddling trips to the island for a BBQ. Very nice.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: May 28, 2007

2007 Trip Report # : 9

Conditions: Calm waters for the most part, some wind at times and a slow current heading down stream.

Weather: Sunny 8) . Temps in the 70's-80’s. :beer: Water in the 50's.

Report: Another great day. Got down there at 1:30 and enjoyed the sun and nice breeze. Some strong gusts at times. Paddled up around the islands and then back to the park. Went down toward the boat launch, but didn't go too far down that way.

I landed at the large island and scouted out the campsite. Very nice. Not as many boats on the water as on Saturday. Just as nice of a day.

We came back to the park and met our friends. Fired up the grill and began the post boating action. Took one of my friends for a paddle up around the islands...he wanted to try a boat. So we went out for a 45 minute cruise. Got out and checked out the DOC's cabin on the island...very nice. We have hopes of a camping trip to the island....coming soon!

Came back and grilled some more. Had a great BBQ and then came home. Very nice afternoon. Our friends were amazed that this park was so close and open to the public. :beer:

I am again simply :D that the River is more entertaining than I thought it would be.

Oh yeah....part of Big Green's crew team passed by us this afternoon.

Some pics:

Looking south:

DSCN0885.JPG

Looking north at the islands:
DSCN0886.JPG

Apres Boating:

DSCN0888.JPG

Trailboss' boating album.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: June 2, 2007

2007 Trip Report # : 10

Conditions: Calm waters for the most part, some wind at times made for some small waves.

Weather: Hazy sunshine. Temps were a good 10 degrees cooler than in town Hanover and WRJ. Temps in the upper 70's to low 80’s. :beer: Water in the 50's.

Report: A pretty nice rainy day. We had decided to do another Connecticut River BBQ with some friends, but they called saying that they weren't coming...the wife was sick. Well, the boats were on the car and we had stuff ready to go for the most part, so made a quick lunch and headed to Goose Pond.

The hazy sunshine was better than expected...the clouds provided relief and the breeze on the water was nice.

Ms. TB was :D with the place....we had a great lunch at the point and then put the boats in. Longest day out yet...a solid three hours of paddling. We headed due south on the open water and then looped around the island. This time I played around the large rocks in the strait....love the boat!

We headed back out into the open water and into the southern bay. Saw some kids playing with a small remote control boat and having a great time. Very mellow afternoon...a few fisherman out, but nothing wild.

After turning around, we lost our nice breeze and it got real warm. We made a straight line across the pond back to the boat launch.

Ms. TB hung back and enjoyed the sun. I got back and actually did some swimming. It was nice and cool. Judging by the fish I saw near the shore, they had just stocked the pond. Lots of smaller trout just in front of me...not darting off too far.

After a few minutes, Ms. TB came back and I took her boat for a spin. Different feel. Hers sits higher on the water than mine and is easier to put on edge than mine is. So it feels more tipsy. Tracked about the same as mine. The seat was not comfortable at all--there was a space between my PFD and the seat bottom, which made it very :x to sit in. Ms. TB has been using a towel to brace her back, but within my five minute spint, I can see why she needs one. The cockpit is HUGE compared to mine. Not as snug, so I felt as if I was driving a bathtub. She loves it though and that is what matters.

I got back, did some more swimming, and then racked the boats just in the nick of time....a thunderstorm rolled in as we drove off. Folks were still launching boats despite the thunder :eek:

Ms. TB dug the place. We will be back.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: June 3, 2007

2007 Trip Report # : 11

Conditions: Stiff wind, choppy waves.

Weather: Cold. Clouds and some fog, temps in the 60's. Stiff wind. Water in the 50's.

Report: Diehard day. Ms. TB was rather content staying at home while I made the 1.7 mile drive to the water. I put in at the Wilder Boat Launch. Despite the weather, there were maybe four or five other cars/trucks and trailers there.

I hugged the VT shore to avoid the wind. Water was very high. At the park point, I cut across to the NH side. The wind was at my back, which was nice. A couple motor boats out....nothing big.

Meandered around the islands and then came back via the VT side. As expected, the winds between the park and the islands were the stiffest and the waves were the biggest. Nothing too bad. As I paddled, I passed several ducks, even a mother with her ducklings.

Made it back to the boat launch in about 1:30. Very gray and cold, but lots of fun.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date: June 9, 2007

2007 Trip Report # : 12

Conditions: Pleasant conditions, becoming smooth water in late afternoon.

Weather: Sunny skies giving way to clouds, nice breeze. Highs in the Upper 70's. Water in the 50's.

Report: Well, we were originally planning on heading to a VT State Park for Vermont Days (free admission), but we ran out of time and decided to stay local...as in 1.7 miles down the road to the river local :wink: Great hedge for high gas prices...and gives us time to do other things.

Got on the river at 2pm. Quite a few cars at the launch. Ms. TB was initially :-? about going to the boat launch, but once she saw that we could literally drive to the water rather than carry the boats the 75 yards or so, she was :D

Nice conditions heading up. A nice breeze at our backs. Small waves. Got to the islands and found some canoes and kids in the water having a blast. Some folks fishing...or trying to at least. Heard that there was not much biting. Water was low as well.

We wandered around the islands and then headed to Ledyard. Quite a few boats out which was nice.

I talked Ms. TB into going over by the railroad bridge, a nice archway. Once we got through the arch, the shallow cove offered some nice peace and quiet. I spotted a waterfall on the far side and went to check it out. It was quite cool over there and the waterfall was nice. I took some nice pics...soon to be posted. After some pics, I pushed into the current and rode it out into the cove and back to the river.

We headed back downstream. Boats began to disappear and the waves and currents gave way to a nice glassy surface. Wow.

We were out for a solid three hours.....lots of fun.

thetrailboss

Staff member
:eek: 12 Reports or so for boating and 0 for hiking! :eek: This kayaking thing is really taking off! And TB needs new hiking boots! :wink: