• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

blog and other "buzz" words

Jim W

Buzz words have always driven me crazy.
In fact (guess how old I am) I always refused to say "groovy man".
Now, the latest one is out. BLOG.
Someone, anyone, please help me.

What the heck does BLOG mean?

I need to know.

I NEED SOME CLOSURE.

Greg

Staff member
whatis.com said:
Blog: On a Web site, a blog, a short form for weblog, is a personal journal that is frequently updated and intended for general public consumption. Blogs generally represent the personality of the author or the Web site and its purpose. Topics sometimes include brief philosophical musings, commentary on Internet and other social issues, and links to other sites the author favors. The essential characteristics of the blog are its journal form, typically a new entry each day, and its informal style.
The author of a blog is often referred to as a blogger. People who post new journal entries to their blog may often say they blogged today, they blogged it to their site, or that they still have to blog.
Here's a good Web site for looking up technical/"buzz" words or terms, Jim:

http://whatis.techtarget.com/

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i'm not a big fan of the term 'blog' though i rarely use the full term 'weblog' either. but i would not classify them as 'buzz' words. they are the definitive term that has been widely accepted for the format, style, and authorship as defined above. 'blog format' is not just used for personal journals and such, but many quality news sources, online communities, and web pages have adopted the blog style and formatting to post content. even politicians have gotten into the act and have personal blogs to inform their supporters of the candidates daily travels and thoughts. here is my own 'blog' as an example, though i prefer to call it an LJ due to the host's name.

any one else on AZ have LJ's or blogs?