• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Isolation in 3 days, Pinkham to Crawford Notch 8/15-17/04

N

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Date(s) Hiked:
Sunday, 8/15/04 to Tuesday, 8/17/04

Trails(s) Hiked:
Tuckerman Ravine Trail, Lionshead Trail, Alpine Garden Trail, Tuckerman Crossover, Crawford Path, Camel Trail, Davis Path, Isolation Spur, Isolation Trail, Dry River Trail, Mt. Eisenhower Trail, Dry River Cutoff, Mt. Clinton Trail, Webster Cliff Trail, Webster-Jackson Trail

Total Distance:
22.2 miles, elev. gain 6850'

Difficulty:
Easy to Moderate

Conditions:
Sunday-Very nice, since tropical storm Charlie was a no show. breezy, mild.
Monday- Mostly cloudy in the morning, light rain in the afternoon, cool temps.
Tuesday- Started off mostly cloudy but cleared up considerably by afternoon. warmer.

Special Required Equipment:
Extra socks, rain gear, ear plugs

Trip Report:
Sunday morning I arose at my usual time, 5am. I quickly showered, shaved, dressed, checked my email, and checked the all-important weather forecast. Tropical storm Charlie was due to hit N.H. later that day. I left the house at 6am in a steady rain. by the time I hit White River Junction, Vt. the rain had stopped and when I arrived in Montpelier, Vt. at 8:15 the skies were only partly cloudy.

Just before 9:00, Jen, my hiking partner for the next 3 days arrived at the bus station. We exchanged hellos, loaded her pack in the car, and headed East. We sopped for breakfast on Rt. 2 in Concord, Vt. at the Mooselook Restaurant. A quaint rural Vermont style restaurant where all the locals go for breakfast. After filling our bellies with reasonably priced, good food we continued East arriving at the Pinkham Notch Visitors Center just before noon.

After changing into hiking clothes, we threw our packs on our backs and hit the trail at 12:15. We proceded up the wide, easy Tuckerman Ravine Trail, missing the Lionshead junction, and arrived at the Hermit Lake Shelter at 2:00. After getting directions from the caretaker we proceded back down the trail to the junction of the Lionshead Trail. When we reached the junction we realized we had both seen the sign but had been too busy talking as we passed to read it through. After this, we read every trail sign for the next two-and-a-half days.

With a ladder, many steps, and some rock scrambles, not to mention about 1000' of elevation gain in about three-quarters of a mile, the Lionshead Trail was the only difficult trail of the hike.

Just above the Lions head we made left turn onto the (rocky) Alpine garden trail and rejoined the Tuckerman Ravine Trail at the top of the headwall. About this time the mostly cloudy skies gave way to the sun which smiled down upon us as we continued up the wet (spring fed) Tuckerman Ravine Trail to Tuckerman Junction. From here it was an easy view filled hike down the Tuckerman Crossover and Crawford Paths to the Lakes of the Clouds Hut, where we arrived at 4:15.

Until Sunday evening I had never stayed in one of the AMC huts. I must admit, the experience was much better than I had expected. The best part was the food. Supper and Breakfast was provided and not only did the food taste great, there was plenty of it. In addition to good food, the people, hikers and croos, were friendly and helpful with information on trails, etc. My only complaint about the huts is that the mattresses are a little thin. The berthing areas are divided into rooms with about 4-12 bunks each. Ear plugs proved to be well worth the expense. Though staying at the huts probably isn't for everyone, it was something that hikers should try at least once. I tried it, I liked it, and I'll do it again.

Monday morning after breakfast at 8:35, Jen and I headed up the Crawford Path a short distance to the Camel Trail which connects to the Davis Path about one-half mile West of Boott Spur. We then took the Davis Path south towards Mt. Isolation. When we reached the height-of-land where the Mt. Isolation Spur Path was supposed to be, we found a ledgy area on the West side of the trail and no sign, (imagine that). We made our way up the ledges to the summit of Mt. Isolation, arriving at 11:15, where we had a mobile lunch, meaning we had to keep moving to prevent being lunch ourselves for the black flies. Upon descending back to the davis Path we built a small cairn on the East side of the path to indicate the junction. (I figure, a cairn is less likely to be stolen than a Mt. Isolation and Owl's Head sign is) We then headed North on the Davis Path to the West branch of the Isolation Trail.

The Isolation Trail could also be known as the Overgrown Trail. By the time we reached it a light drizzle had developed and slowly this changed to a steady rain as the day progressed. The wet overgrown trail made travel slow due to not being able to see our feet in places and in many places we were not able to stay in the trail due to all the weeds that had taken it's place. When we finally reached the Dry River Trail we were relieved to be back on a real trail. We made our way North to the Mt. Eisenhower Trail, across the Dry River, and then to the Dry River Cutoff. We followed the Dry River Cutoff up mostly easy to moderate grades to the Mt. Clinton Trail which we took to the Mizpah Spring Hut, where we arrived at approx. 5:00. (Note: All River and brook crossings were easy)

Monday evening, while sitting in the huts dining room, stumpy the 3 legged fox appeared outside. Apparently he's a regular at the hut. For a fox with only one front leg he got around pretty good. Tuesday morning, after another great breakfast, oatmeal and pancakes, Jen and I headed out at 8:30 for our third day of hiking.

We took the Webster Cliff Trail South towards Mt. Jackson and Mt. Webster. Between Mt. Jackson and Mt. Webster we met a Spruce Grouse (male) in the trail. We watched him for a minute or two then decided we needed to move on. Mr. Grouse wasn't too pleased to have these pushy humans interfering with his breakfast. When we got within about 4 feet he decided to move on down the trail, slowly, with us close behind. finally he got tired of being followed and he moved a few feet off the trail into the scrub and we went about our hike. He certainly wasn't a very timid bird.

When we arrived at the Webster Cliffs the clouds were beginning to break up. We had intermittent views into Crawford Notch, but they were short lived as the clouds made a final push to cover the notch. As we made our way under the cover of the trees down the Webster-Jasckson Trail the clouds finally gave way and mostly sunny skies prevailed the rest of the afternoon. With the exception of the Flume Cascade Brook crossing, (Jen and I know this as the "Water Slide" :D ), the descent to Crawford Depot was uneventful. We arrived at the Crawford Depot at 1:45 where Jen's father was waiting. We made the traditional stop for ice cream before going back to Pinkham Notch to pick up my car, thus ending a great 3 days in the Whites. Made great by good weather, (2 out of 3 days isn't bad), great food, great views, and a great hiking partner. Thanks Jen.

Things I learned these 3 days:
1 ) It pays to read the trail signs the first time you pass them.
2 ) Not all lions heads have teeth.
3 ) The black spiders above treeline are called "Wolf Spiders".
4 ) Diapensia lives a long time, until you step on it.
5 ) Mt. Isolation, as well as, Owl's head signs are very collectable.
6 ) Oatmeal goes good with brown sugar.
7 ) Cribbage is more fun with headlamps.
8 ) The Golden Mush is good, but not worth dying over. So fold your blankets and carry out your trash.
9 ) A 3 legged fox is faster than a rabbit.
10 ) There aren't many grouse hunters above 3800 feet.
11 ) Clouds can sense areas with good views and are drawn to these locations.
12 ) A water slide can be a bad thing.
13 ) Mini-vans are referred to as "cars" in Canada.
14 ) You can never bring too many pairs of dry socks on a multi-day hike.
15 ) A rock in a bog that sinks quickly when you step on it probably wasn't a rock. See 14 above.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Actually, I think:

A) Brown sugar tastes good with a little oatmeal stirred in.
2) Cribbage is the most fun curled up in a too-small tent.

Congrats on a great hike! My trip to Isolation was also grey and rainy ... I think the people who claim views up there are just faking it with Photoshop.
:)

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
I totally concur my trip to isolation was a night and it was the foggiest I have ever seen it. Especially on anight that was supposed to be "brilliantly" clear!

oh ya diapensia goes qucik with a step of the boot

porter

SilentCal

Isolation is a really nice spot. I guess I got lucky. Doing Isolation from Lakes is not an option many people take action on. It's really a nice trip. Glad to hear about your great hike! Sounds like you had a blast!

MtnMagic

Quite a route to bag Isolation, you made it into an adventure. That's some journey you did. Now your good to go to Owl's Head. That summit sign isn't going home with anyone soon.

I guess I've been lucky on my hikes to Isolation. Super 360 degree views to see.

The Mooselook, yep, know it well as I eat there also!
:p