• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Early Autumn this year?

Greg

Staff member
Starting to see lots of signs of color already in Connecticut. What are things looking like up North? An early autumn/winter this year?

MtnMagic

Well around here, the last outpost before Canada, things are pretty normal for 8.20. We've seen some early red maple leaves also as it happens every year. The high bush blueberries have huge thumb sized fruit and the tomatoes and grapes are still being picked. First frost is the end of September early October. An early winter could possibly happen. No, not an early fall, it's just another normal day in Paradise. Even the mountains patiently wait!

ChileMass

Didn't see much evidence of early fall - only a couple of trees slightly turning last weekend in the WMNF area. Did get pretty cold Sat up there, too. Probably upper 40s but warmed up quickly on Sunday.

Jaytrek57

Here in Mass. the Red Sox are coming on strong and preparing for the homestretch.

The Patriot's will soon hoist there second SuperBowl Championship Flag.

Yeah....I guess "fall" is fast approaching!! :wink:

Charlie Schuessler

I was pedaling around the Plymouth-Campton-Waterville Valley area yesterday and noticed some touches of color coming out from behind the greens...with all the rain we've had this spring & summer, we should witness a brilliant fall of colors before the snow flies.

TenPeaks

There's a little bit of color in the Sugarloaf area of Maine, but it's spotty at best. A few tree limbs here and there had some red leaves.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
We were up in Indian Lake, NY last week (Adirondacks) and I have to agree with MichaelJ...there definitely was some color creeping across the landscape. I noticed around here that some of the leaves started changing as early as the end of July!!! :eek: Let's hope that means a lot of snow this winter!

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Greg said:
Starting to see lots of signs of color already in Connecticut. What are things looking like up North? An early autumn/winter this year?
I don't know if you would consider me "up north" but I found a few yellow birch leaves laying in the backyard Sunday. We've had a couple of nights down in the high forties, so I know it's not far away.

C

Chica

I haven't spent a fall in New England in four years, since I was going to school in Texas. And last year I didn't get a fall at all while studying abroad in Costa Rica.
I'm so excited to be back home in CT for my favorite season this year! Whether it comes early or not... :D

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I definitely saw some yellows and reds this past weekend up in the Whites.

Time for crackling leaves, fuzzy sweaters, chill air, hot cocoa, and I might just even bake an apple pie or two...
;)

MtnMagic

Hiked Hale and Zealand today. Definitely some brilliant reds out there. On Zeacliff we noticed that from Whitewall Mtn to Tom/Field/Willey had a yellow to orange hue.

It's looking like a great foliage spectacular thanks to the plentiful rainfall!