• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat (Sat) 5/5...of Closing Weekend

bigbog

Date(s) Skied: Saturday 5/5 8:30a-10:15a

Resort or Ski Area: Wildcat, Mt.Washington Valley, NH

Conditions: (AIR) sunny, 40F+, comfortable breeze. (SNOW) Medium-soft powder(@top)..with ~20-40% bare spots(on remaining trails)...to soft(almost slush) through bottom-half of mtn.

Trip Report:
A couple firsts...a) day 1 in my new boots(outstanding!...textbook tight fit...right out of the box...for me = amazing!)...and b) first time at Wildcat..some nice trails...only to be complemented with some snow!:)....trails with vertical..like Sugarloaf.
Being day 1 in the boots, liners are nice & tight, thus I only took three runs...just PoleCat..with a wander down StrayCat on last run down. Aside from the tight liners, I'm nursing a rehab of my thumb(now out of cast 7x24) so..all I would have needed would have been to trip up on any of the steeper pitched trails...and bang the hand on a rock or branch...etc, thus elected to wussy it down PoleCat, but the 8000s made it fun. The usual snow...good at the top, then the general degression of snow quality with only one 8' stretch of sidestepping over grass...at the bottom, before the runout to lift(Quad).
Couldn't see staying any longer as I need to finish outfitting the ww-canoe back home...and with any rise in temps would only soften the stretches of snow..that were already on the soft side. Add to that...the crystal clear stream running along the back deck of the lodge was so inviting...with paddling on the brain.
For what it was.....a bright, sunny, comfortable Saturday..in a great fitting boot, was great to end the season on.

Last edited:

Vortex

I missed you again

Props to Breeze for keeping us informed. Nice to meet you. I made tuns with Snowmonster,(Mrs made an apperance without gear), Jerry G, and Snowseek. It froze up overnight and grooming took place. The morning was really nice. The afternoon was even better. Pretty much a 9 to 4 event with a short lunch. Temps were in the low 50's with sun. The afternoon the clouds came in to keep the temps perfect for the snow. We only had a bit of walking on lower pole cat at the end of the day. Coverage was pretty good on most of the mountain. There were spots where it was one or two cat tracks wide. I still love Pole Cat. That long beautiful run with great views I love.
Hopefully Jerry can post some pictures. This was the most snow I have seen on a late season closing since I can remember. The Wildcat Staff really made an effort to make sure we had fun. Marketing follk to people behind the counter all out to make sure we had fun. Props to Az also. I believe we all dropped a few $ in the collection can.

Point here is other mountains has excuses on staff or amount of skiers to make it worth opening. Not excuses here. Thankx

snowmonster

Sorry to miss you last Saturday, bigbog. I was skiing with Bob R and his crew. Couldn't believe how much snow there was last Saturday. If the temps hold up, Wildcat should still have good cover next weekend.

Everytime we stopped skiing (that is, everytime Bob and the gang stopped to wait for me), we would look into Tuck's and plot our lines. The lift service season may have ended but not the hiking season.

I'm saving the lift ticket for posterity. I'm sure most folks here in Boston won't believe that there was still skiing to be done in NE on Cinco de Mayo.

Anyway, hope to meet you next season.

snoseek

Same experience as you had BobR. Ditto on PoleCat...such a nice trail...very well thought out....

I don't care if it's a green, polecat is one of my favorite trails anywhere. I would easily have paid 29$ to ski it all day.:beer:

MikeTrainor

I don't care if it's a green, polecat is one of my favorite trails anywhere. I would easily have paid 29$ to ski it all day.:beer:

Polcat is probably the best green in NE. Long, great views and you can pick up quite a bit of speed on it.

eatskisleep

Polcat is probably the best green in NE. Long, great views and you can pick up quite a bit of speed on it.

And there is some always some fun jumps at the sides; and if you are feeling up to it, you could take CatNap or Tomcat Schuss for some steeper skiing.

Vortex

We all seem to like that trail. I like the curve you can make going around the rock in the middle part of the trail 1/2 way down. 1/2 cut in front of the rock half go by it and make a nice round turn. Snowseek thinks it could be rated an easy blue. Some spots are a bit above novice I think also. Its a fun run.