• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Galehead Mountain 8/21/04

N

NH_Mtn_Hiker

Date(s) Hiked:
Saturday, Aug. 21, 2004

Trails(s) Hiked:
Gale River Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail, Frost Trail

Total Distance:
10.2 miles, Elev. gain 2450'

Difficulty:
Easy

Conditions:
low to mid 50's, steady rain

Special Required Equipment:
rain gear

Trip Report:
When I checked my email this morning, I discovered that every other person who had signed up for this hike.. had canceled. No problem.

I arrived at the Gale River parking area at 8:30, put on my rain pants and jacket, threw my backpack on and headed up the trail at 8:45 in a light drizzle. The lower 5/8 of the trail is very easy. After crossing the North Branch of the Gale River on stepping stones at about 2.5 miles, the trail becomes much steeper and rougher. The Garfield Ridge Trail is reached after 4 miles. This trail has only a modest elevation gain but it is very rough in places. At the intersection of the Garfield Ridge, Twinway, and Frost Trails it's about 100 feet to the Galehead Hut on the Frost Trail. From here it was a very wet .5 mile to the summit of Galehead Mountain. Parts of this trail had standing water over a foot deep and one of the bog bridges was floating.

After returning to the hut at 11:05, I took a well deserved lunch break until 11:45, then headed out downhill. by this time the light drizzle had changed to a steady rain and the trails were beginning to flood. By the time I reached the stepping stones on the North Branch I was in a downpour and the river had risen about 8-10 inches since my earlier crossing. Though the stones were wet and a little extra care was needed to cross, all water crossings for the day were easy. The lower, flatter section of the Gale River Trail was significantly flooded. I had to bypass several sections due to my Gortex boots being only about 7 inches tall. It was in this section that I met about 30-40 people, all apparently headed for the hut, going up the trail. I saw about fifteen kids, most of which were wearing sneakers. I'll bet that was fun. I reached the parking area at 1:15, peeled off the rain gear, threw on my Keen H2's and headed South. (Total hiking time, up and down = 3 hrs. 50 min., Book time to go up = 3 hrs. 50 min.)

Another Great hike even if it was a little soggy. This is #40 of "48" and #35 this year. Total peaks summited this year 60. :D (all peaks, some were done more than once)