• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Twin-Tips

ALLSKIING

Staff member
How many of you ski with twin-tips? I don't go into the parks but heard some models do well in the bumps and tight trails. I notice that they kick up snow from the back and can annoying for people behind you. Thoughts?

SkiDog

How many of you ski with twin-tips? I don't go into the parks but heard some models do well in the bumps and tight trails. I notice that they kick up snow from the back and can annoying for people behind you. Thoughts?

Love mine....the only thing I might not get a twin tip for is long touring situtations and crevasse skiing. You might need to use your skis as an anchor for a rope and the twins will not stick in the snow correctly.

The twins seem to exit turns much more rapidly than flat backs....I cant say enough about how much I really dig mine.. I have the Salomon GUNS....dont think you can go wrong with a good twin tip.

M

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Love mine....the only thing I might not get a twin tip for is long touring situtations and crevasse skiing. You might need to use your skis as an anchor for a rope and the twins will not stick in the snow correctly.

The twins seem to exit turns much more rapidly than flat backs....I cant say enough about how much I really dig mine.. I have the Salomon GUNS....dont think you can go wrong with a good twin tip.

M
How do you like them in the bumps VS an All-mountain?

SkiDog

How do you like them in the bumps VS an All-mountain?

The guns are a 90mm underfoot, which I firmly believe is the new "standard" in the near future I dont think you'll see too much under that size, except for the slalom and bumps specific skis...that being said...I really thought I was going to have some serious trouble with them in the east coast hardpack, turned out that they handled anything and everything Killington could throw at them. Mank, ice, pow, everything.

Now for the bumps...i like bumps, though not as much as when I was younger, I can get these things to do pretty well in the bumps, but I wouldnt want to spend a day in the bumps with them either...

Now that im out west for good, and skied 20" of fluff in them I noticed that they are equally versed in the deep pow....I do think I will need something bigger underfoot for deep deep snow, but ive skied deep snow on old school straights so...anything is an improvement.

The really do exit turns superbly.

M

Greg

Staff member
Dave - it sounds like you're looking at something lighter and more responsive in the bumps. In fact, I've asked this very question and you ironically replied [POST="142886"]here[/POST]. With that said, it sounds like a bump specific ski is in your future. This is the way I'm going for sure. I've read up a lot on the subject and those that want a ski that performs the best in the bumps really need a competition-level mogul ski. They are narrow, light and are softer, especially in the tail which eliminate the problem with catching tails on the bumps. My AC3s (like your Apaches) will be my all-mountain, tree-skiing, natural snow conditions ski. If I expect to be hitting the staircases more than 50% of the day, I'll break out the bumpers. You can always bring both sets of boards to the mountain. I think I've narrowed in on the Salomon 1080 Mogul or the K2 Cabrawler. I have a new pair of Look PX12 (they mount flat, no lifters) just waiting for the right deal to come along.

AZ member 180 skis on the Teneighty Mogul. Check out how quickly he can get those things to move. Notice especially the nice quick line correction at 2:05 on Upper Crossover (silver helmet):

http://skiing.bvibert.com/vids/Hunter020907_lg.wmv

powhunter (tan pants) also skis the 1080 and he keeps those boards very tight:

http://northeastgolf.net/skivids/Killington_042007.wmv

Not saying that a bump board can make you ski moguls like 180, but at least the equipment can no longer be to blame. ;) I have to imagine your K2s are like my Volkls and are pretty heavy and unwieldy in the bumps too. You can see how I need to manhandle them in the above vids. I think a lighter mogul-specific set-up will really allow me to be more fluid and less rounded with my bump turns.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Dave - it sounds like you're looking at something lighter and more responsive in the bumps. In fact, I've asked this very question and you ironically replied [POST="142886"]here[/POST]. With that said, it sounds like a bump specific ski is in your future. This is the way I'm going for sure. I've read up a lot on the subject and those that want a ski that performs the best in the bumps really need a competition-level mogul ski. They are narrow, light and are softer, especially in the tail which eliminate the problem with catching tails on the bumps. My AC3s (like your Apaches) will be my all-mountain, tree-skiing, natural snow conditions ski. If I expect to be hitting the staircases more than 50% of the day, I'll break out the bumpers. You can always bring both sets of boards to the mountain. I think I've narrowed in on the Salomon 1080 Mogul or the K2 Cabrawler. I have a new pair of Look PX12 (they mount flat, no lifters) just waiting for the right deal to come along.

AZ member 180 skis on the Teneighty Mogul. Check out how quickly he can get those things to move. Notice especially the nice quick line correction at 2:05 on Upper Crossover (silver helmet):

http://skiing.bvibert.com/vids/Hunter020907_lg.wmv

powhunter (tan pants) also skis the 1080 and he keeps those boards very tight:

http://northeastgolf.net/skivids/Killington_042007.wmv

Not saying that a bump board can make you ski moguls like 180, but at least the equipment can no longer be to blame. ;) I have to imagine your K2s are like my Volkls and are pretty heavy and unwieldy in the bumps too. You can see how I need to manhandle them in the above vids. I think a lighter mogul-specific set-up will really allow me to be more fluid and less rounded with my bump turns.
Thanks for the post Greg. My issue is that I don't think I will ever spend more then 50% of the day in the bumps. If I lived closer to a mountain and could just go ski bumps as you guys do at sundown then I would get a bump ski. I am looking for something that I can have more fun with in the bumps then my recons but can still ski the rest of the mountain. I think twin-tips might work for this...I know they will never be as good as a true mogul ski but I am hoping they are better then the recons. Anyother thoughts on this?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I really have no idea what would make a twin tip ski better in the bumps or no tight trails. Perhaps there is some small enhancement that someone could demonstrate with a factual and non-opinion based analysis, but I suspect even if it is the case that twins help in the bumps, I think finding the right ski for your style, technique, and build would be much more important. I personally do not see the appeal in a twin except it certainly would seem like you could back out of bad lines easier which would be nice on powder days in the side country. I would like to try a few, but I think the shape of the rear tail is one of the last aspects of a ski I would consider... much more interested in turn shape, initiation, effort, input, response, flex, etc.

If you are looking for an edge in the bumps and tight skiing situations but still want a ski for the entire mountain, just look for a more light weight and nimble mid-fat.

SkiDog said:
The guns are a 90mm underfoot, which I firmly believe is the new "standard" in the near future I dont think you'll see too much under that size, except for the slalom and bumps specific skis.
Just a geographic check here, but your profile indicates your location as Utah. Any chance this is a contributing factor to your reasoning? I have heard many people swear by fatter skis but fat does have some draw backs, especially from an east coast perspective. I am actually in the market for a 95ish waist powder board, but my 79 waisted ski will ski get most of my days (barely though with a 45%ish powder day percentage this year!).

snoseek

i personally ski 2 pairs of twin tips. one is 93 center and that covers 60%, and the other is 84 center which handles everything else real good. these skis just happen to be twin tips and i was never really shopping for twin tips. i like the way they are constructed with minimal weight and are really closer to the way skis were made years ago. they are def. a plus when in a sideslipping situation, and overall make me a lot more playful on the hill. I'm so happy to get away from heavy stiff race skis (miss them when things are real icy). imo many twin tip skis are really not park skis, but more all mountain.

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for the post Greg. My issue is that I don't think I will ever spend more then 50% of the day in the bumps. If I lived closer to a mountain and could just go ski bumps as you guys do at sundown then I would get a bump ski. I am looking for something that I can have more fun with in the bumps then my recons but can still ski the rest of the mountain. I think twin-tips might work for this...I know they will never be as good as a true mogul ski but I am hoping they are better then the recons. Anyother thoughts on this?

To really get better and have more fun in the bumps, you need to just spend more time in the bumps which may get you up to the 50% mark. So there you go - go get a bump ski. ;) Seriously though, the Apache is supposed to be a gret all-mountain, like my AC3. I decided to not reinvent the wheel and get another all-mountain that might only be marginally better in the bumps which is why I'm adding a comp-level bump ski to the quiver. I haven't demoed, but I can't imagine that a bump ski is going to be that bad out of the bumps. Sure I won't be making big GS turns with them, but I don't ski that way anyhow. Most of my out of bumps style is similar to bump turns - short and quick. If I'm faced with natural snow conditions or powder, I'll break out the AC3s. But for groomers and bumps, the mogul ski will likely be fine based on how I ski.

I really have no idea what would make a twin tip ski better in the bumps or no tight trails. Perhaps there is some small enhancement that someone could demonstrate with a factual and non-opinion based analysis, but I suspect even if it is the case that twins help in the bumps, I think finding the right ski for your style, technique, and build would be much more important. I personally do not see the appeal in a twin except it certainly would seem like you could back out of bad lines easier which would be nice on powder days in the side country. I would like to try a few, but I think the shape of the rear tail is one of the last aspects of a ski I would consider... much more interested in turn shape, initiation, effort, input, response, flex, etc.

If you are looking for an edge in the bumps and tight skiing situations but still want a ski for the entire mountain, just look for a more light weight and nimble mid-fat.

I guess the biggest benefit to twin tips in the bumps is probably that the tails won't hook up on the backsides of the bumps as easily.

Like Steve said, if you're set on an all mountain, try to find something light and relatively soft with less side cut to help in the bumps. Mount bindings flat (no plates) which is harder to do these days with all the integrated binding systems. If you're not doing big carves, you don't need to be lifted and eliminating plates will help save some weight (minimal, but some). I still don't think you're going to find an all-mountain that is significantly better enough in the bumps than your Apaches to justify adding another all-mountain.

SkiDog

Just a geographic check here, but your profile indicates your location as Utah. Any chance this is a contributing factor to your reasoning? I have heard many people swear by fatter skis but fat does have some draw backs, especially from an east coast perspective. I am actually in the market for a 95ish waist powder board, but my 79 waisted ski will ski get most of my days (barely though with a 45%ish powder day percentage this year!).

Just moved here....skied the 90mm underfoot for the last 2 seasons @ killington..NEVER had an issue with them not being able to handle ANYTHING ole K could dish out....They are NOT super effective in bumps, but can be zipperlined by someone who skis them frequently...the exit turns better than any ski I have ever used, and like mentioned are great for backing out of "sticky" situations in the woods, etc.

Being here in Utah even only a short time I have already realized that I am going bigger...likely over 100mm underfoot for EVERYDAY ski...

Again I believe the trend is fatter underfoot...no necessarily twins, but fat underfoot..

Just my $.02

M