• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Yard Sale

Do you think adding a forum where members can buy and sell gear is a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• No sure

• Total voters

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
How about adding a third topic to HIking and Skiing groups, called Yard Sale, where we can trade and sell gear. Also we could post good deals that we find.

Obviously this could be spamtracive... so that needs to be part of the consideration...

-Stephen

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Epic has their "Ski Swap" forum, it doesn't seem to get spammed. It seems to be site users that post on it. I think it's a good idea.

Greg

Staff member
I would only create one "Yard Sale" forum though to cover both skiing and hiking, similar to Trips & Events. As always, I'm interested in keeping the number of forums to a minimum and even T&E doesn't see much action. Most of the posts there could have been accomodated by the primary skiing or hiking forum. Similarly, for sale items could probably also be posted there. Anyway, I'll poll this out and if there is enough interest, I'll consider it.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
I like the idea. Just put up a disclaimer that the moderator has the right to delete any message that is deemed spam, and possibly another stating buyer beware, AlpineZone not responsible for problems, etc.

I have a higher trust level with those that frequent AlpineZone and would buy something from them before buying from a complete stranger elsewhere (except eBay where there are certain protections in place).

Just my 0.02

teachski

Website
teachski.com
There are others around that, like with cars, get new ones rather frequently. I myself am one of these. I bought some Rossi Bandit X's in 2001 at the end of the season. Skied them in 2002 but wanted a shorter ski and bought Volkl 6*'s last season. The Rossi's found a new home...my brother-in-law snagged them, but if this had been here I would have posted them. I also bought Solomon Evolution 8.0 boots, found that they were not enough boot for the Volkl's and am replacing them this year. The ski shop only wanted to give me $15 for them, they were in like new condition. I sold them to a kid on the school's ski club instead.

I know that we always have kids from the school looking for ski and boarding equipment, so if this is here I will point them to it.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
You're right Greg, it was discussed earlier this year. I was one of the people that said that I didn't think it was needed. I have changed my mind. I do not see where it can hurt. I do like, however the disclaimer about posts seen to be spam. This will keep it so only established registered people use it. It's fairly obvious if a post of multiples of the same item is made. It is also fairly obvious if it is a persons first post (or close to it) here.