• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gonna see the Prez...

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Hey all.

I'm going to see the President on Monday along with 1999 of my "local" co-supporters. It's a town hall Q&A type thing.

In any case, I figure I have 5 or 6 chances in 2000 to get to ask a question. If you could ask the President any legitimate question, what would it be?

Myself, I think, given the opportunity, I would ask him how I could defend the fact that he's the most liberally spending executive we've had in Washington in a while, and what is plans are for reigning in future non-military related spending.

I'm really curious what you would ask him face-to-face {slur of other BBS removed}. EDIT: I ask that you post legitimate questions to find out more about the candidate, rather than leading, obvious-answers vitriole.

-Stephen

Jim W

My question to President Bush would be:

"Why are you delaying the tightening of our borders?"

There is no conceivable reason why illegals should be pouring across the border day after day, while we are at war.
We don't need troops in Europe. We need troops in Texas and Vermont, etc.
If he's delaying it for the "votes", then he's playing politics with the safety of my children. Not acceptable.

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Jim W said:
I have a very good idea where the "here" would take me.

My question to President Bush would be:

"Why are you delaying the tightening of our borders?"

There is no conceivable reason why illegals should be pouring across the border day after day, while we are at war.
We don't need troops in Europe. We need troops in Texas and Vermont, etc.
If he's delaying it for the "votes", then he's playing politics with the safety of my children. Not acceptable.

Excellent question. I agree that a country that fails to adequately protect its borders is doomed.

-Stpehen

hammer

Here are a few for you to consider. Sorry if they're not too positive, but I'm less than impressed with how a number of things have been going during Mr. Bush's term in office:

- What are your plans to improve the US's standing and reputation in the world community? (which has gone south for a number of reasons, not just the war in Iraq)

- With the prospect of an extended US military presence in Iraq, do you forsee the need to bring back the military draft? If not, then how do you expect to maintain the necessary troop strength levels? (I'd think that you'll NEVER get a straight answer from this one)

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
hammer said:
Here are a few for you to consider. Sorry if they're not too positive, but I'm less than impressed with how a number of things have been going during Mr. Bush's term in office:

- What are your plans to improve the US's standing and reputation in the world community? (which has gone south for a number of reasons, not just the war in Iraq)

- With the prospect of an extended US military presence in Iraq, do you forsee the need to bring back the military draft? If not, then how do you expect to maintain the necessary troop strength levels? (I'd think that you'll NEVER get a straight answer from this one)

I think these are two good and pertinent questions.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Here's a few I would ask:

"What is your policy on containing the potentially dangerous nuclear weapons programs in North korea, India, and Pakistan?"

"What's your view on ammending the constitution so that citizens that were not born as US citizens could run for president? ie. Gov. Swartzenegger"

"When are we going to make a true, honest-to-God push for free health care for ALL?"

Jaytrek57

I have two.

If your daughters had debilitating diseases that could be cured based on scientific research obtained through stem cell research…would your position on this issue change?

Would you send your daughters to Iraq and Afghanistan to fight the war on terror?

Also...while I agree with you Steven on your point about the other BBS...I don't think it is appropriate. Just MHO.

Greg

Staff member
Jaytrek57 said:
Also...while I agree with you Steven on your point about the other BBS...I don't think it is appropriate. Just MHO.
Perhaps Jaytrek57 is right here. I think the fact that AZ members try to take the high road, even though we may not always agree, is what makes this place unique. Not that it's that big of a deal, but I don't feel the "disclaimer" was even necessary considering that most of the members here routinely show respect for each others' views.

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Jaytrek57 said:
I have two.

If your daughters had debilitating diseases that could be cured based on scientific research obtained through stem cell research…would your position on this issue change?

Would you send your daughters to Iraq and Afghanistan to fight the war on terror?

Is there a question? :blink:

How about:
Why do you not support stem-cell research?

What is your plan for ending/wining the war in Iraq and restoring peace?

Asking a hypothetical question will get you a hypothetical answer and both aren't worth a whole lot as far as their bearing on the true situation.

-Stephen

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Greg said:
Jaytrek57 said:
Perhaps Jaytrek57 is right here. I think the fact that AZ members try to take the high road, even though we may not always agree, is what makes this place unique. Not that it's that big of a deal, but I don't feel the "disclaimer" was even necessary considering that most of the members here routinely show respect for each others' views.

I've removed the link and clarified what I meant.

I'm really looking for questions, not insults. Though for the most part a statement like this is not necessary on this board.

-Stephen

Jim W

And I've deleted the line in my reply that referred to the other BBS.

Jaytrek57

I disagree.

Hypothetical questions for me at least can show the true nature of a person. It also shows that people can be more human "gray" in their responses. A hypothetical question (rape/wife) was very influential in the Dukakias/Bush election.

Just asking about one's plans, intentions about anything "future", is hypothetical. A thousand things could change.

Now...hypothetically speaking...I'm going to play basketball. :wink:

SilentCal

I'd ask W if he'd mind doing Owl's Head for Flags on the 48. :lol: Seriously I'd ask him the stem-cell question because of the potential benefit to many afflicted with MS, Alzhiemers, Cancer. Just think of all the millions of people you could aid.

noreaster

According to an online poll on the TIME Europe website with 700,000 responses, 86.9% believe the US is overwhelmingly the most dangerous country on the planet. Iraq and North Korea were the second and third most dangerous countries.

Over half of Europeans think that Israel presents the biggest threat to world peace according to a controversial poll requested by the European Commission. According to the same survey, Europeans believe the United States contributes the most to world instability along with Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq and North Korea.

My question to the President Bush would be:

What steps need to be taken to change the overwhelming negative perception in Europe that the United States is a threat to world peace?

pedxing

The health care payment issue hits home. I just started a new job, handling psychiatric emergencies and admissions for a general hospital. Half the job is dealing with all the complexities of the patient's insurance (or lack of insurance) and almost all I need to learn to do a good job is tied in with mastering the complexities of 30+ insurance plans (what they cover, which hospitals have which contracts with them, etc.).

My questions would be:

1) Why is the Republican Party dropping the balanced budget amendment?
2) Is the massive debt build up a good thing? Do you want to economically cripple the federal government?
3) What do we need to do to eliminate our vulnerabilities to terrorism at home?
4) What are we doing to counter the ideology of AL-Qeda and other radical Islamists, to win support for values held by Americans and moderate Moslems, and shape an attractive global alternative to the Islamic fundamentalist approach?
5) What to we need to do to strengthen open governments around the world, and make it politically, socially and economically possible for them to get at the roots of terrorist Islamism.
6) How much has the war in Iraq distracted from winning the struggle in Afghanistan, nabbing the gathering Taliban and Al-Qeda forces in the Afghanistan area and achieving 3, 4 and 5?

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
04664.jpg

Mass. Gov. Mitt Romney, Pres. Bush and NH Gov. Craig Benson

04672.jpg

Me with the First Lady

04673.jpg

A popular woman

04675.jpg

Close up

04677.jpg

Here come da gov! Here come da gov!

ChileMass

Stephen - heard some sound bites on the radio yesterday and was surprised to hear Mitt introduce W instead of Benson. Didn't realize Mass had formally annexed Nashua.......like the pics - any commentary on the event?

Greg

Staff member
Stephen said:
04672.jpg

Me with the First Lady

I bet I know what you're saying here: "Hey, Laura! Go check out AlpineZone.com"! :lol: