• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Washington 5-12-2007

lftgly

OK, I know this is kind-a cheatin', but I haven't time to write my own version of events, so here's an abbreviated version of Sheffy's account:

jshefftz said:
Summary:

Still lots of snow in lots of places, but many key sections could get cut off very soon. By next weekend, probably won’t be many reasonably long and readily accessible lines outside of good ol’ reliable Tux. Auto road season might not happen at all, since Airplane could disappear soon and Northeast Snowfield was already getting narrow on May 1.

Pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jshefftz/WestSideandAirplane

Details:

...Arrived at Cog base reasonably early Sat morning, but parking lot attendant was already there too. Jon didn’t want to have to pay and then also have to park lower down, so he tried an amazingly unconvincing line. Even more amazingly, it worked - kind of like “these aren’t the droids you’re looking for” combined with earlier instructions to the attendant from management that must have been on a par with the guard instruction scene from Monty Python & the Holy Grail.

With forecasted temps on the cool side, concerned about delayed softening in the morning, so decided upon Oakes to start the day, and headed up the ART because of concerns about access coming out of MB. Many blowdowns on ART slowed our progress - cleared out some of them, but still going to be rough going in many places until the AMC crews come through. Oakes was good for 570 vert (or more if you really really wanted to keep going) with very nice snow.

Took Crawford to Westside to ski Airplane, all the way down almost to Spaulding. Once again, very nice snow. Talked with two solo skiers (apparently unencumbered by helmet, ice axe, crampons?), one of whom eventually joined us for our final ski descent to the cog. Saw two, maybe three skiers in Pipeline, which already had two discontinuities, at least one of which the skiers had passed.

Returning on Westside, I was very tempted to yo-yo a beautiful snowfield in the north branch of Ammo Ravine, but I didn’t because . . . well, every ski outing has to have at least one regret, right? Continued to the main/south section of AR, skied - on perfect corn, the best of the day - down and across all the way (with just one discontinuity) to where the brush and pitch pick up, then skinned up and across to the hut.

Hiked across to Monroe Brook, which had very nice snow on top, and was even decent lower down also. Managed to ski about halfway on the ART (i.e., to a little past the DOC memorial plaque), then tromped along the slush, mush, mud etc to finish off the day.

BTW, weather throughout the day was absolutely perfect. Warm enough to never need even a windshirt, but cool enough not to sweat much. Mainly completely calm with only a very light breeze in some places. Clear skies and clear visibility. All of this combined to set up the snow conditions very nicely. (Such perfect weather that I didn’t even protest when Jon asked for a rest on the benches outside Lakes hut - felt more like sitting on a park bench in town!)

OK, here's my pictures.
Lakes of the Clouds
IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

Oakes Gulf
IMG_1677.jpg

Skinning back up Oakes
IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1683.jpg

Hiking the beautiful Westside Trail
IMG_1688.jpg

Skiing the top of Airplane Gully
IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

lftgly

More Airplane Gully
IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

Great Gulf headwall and lower half of Airplane Gully
IMG_1699.jpg

Skiing the west snowfields, above Ammonoosuc Ravine, headed back towards Lakes of the Clouds and Monroe Brook
IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

IMG_1715.jpg

Monroe Brook
IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

awf170

Nice! Looks like you got the better day. Starting in Monroe then going over to the GG then coming back is quite sick. You guys are animals. How much vert did you rack up?