• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Free XM Radio

NYDrew

I just got my entire month of XM for free because I threatened a breach of contract lawsuit regarding O&A getting suspended. (thats $50 for my 4 radios)

If you support the show, call up and complain to XM.

If you don't, call and complain anyway knowing you will get free radio.

Then call 202-380-4000 and let the XM main office know that they are "cocks." This is the cock campagn so you have to use that word at least 5 times.

Go to the directory and spell Davis, Nate.

BRING BACK OPIE AND ANTHONY...SPREAD THE WORD

Rushski

I'm with you NYDrew, I've been a huge fan of theirs since they were in Boston. I'm not happy at all with XM's handling of this nothing situation. They may lose my two subs.

I have been emailing XM, FM (thanking them) and especially the sponsors. Didn't have time last night, but will definitely call tonight, even if I have a long wait to get through.

Not that I'm against it, but the "cock" attack may or may not help.

Goblin84

i have been thinking of picking up XM radio for a while now. I am on the road a ton and would love XM. I also follow hockey a lot and I know XM carries the NHL.

however with no O&A i dont know anymore. which is better? sirus or xm? and what ever happened with the purposed merger?

Rushski

For music they are about equal, XM has a few more channels but a couple channels on Sirius.

For talk, Sirius has Stern, who sucks IMO. XM has(?) O&A and Ron and Fez.

Sports breaks down to Sirius has NFL, XM has baseball and hockey.

XM has better signal strength (for me). But they will most likely merge anyway.

But, if they do not bring them back, I won't renew...

NYDrew

XM has NHL, and while their scores coverage is delayed by up to 8 minutes (timed it) it is very good. XM has better coverage because they have terrestrial relay stations in places where satellites don't normally cover well (ie. cities).

O&A will be back i'm sure. But I think XM corporate needs to feel the pain for their hipocracy.

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
Sirius is waaaayyyy better. Not only do they have Stern, they have the NFL and College football.

O & A were never as good as Stern, and they constantly try to put themselves on his level, acting like there's a censorship war that's about to hit all of Satellite Radio. The only reason anyone gets suspended or fired is because they suck, and companies are just looking for an excuse to let them go. Imus, O & A, those other guys who were fired . . . If they were drawing the amount of listeners that Stern had/has, nobody would care what they say. O & A aren't guilty of being offensive, they're just guilty of being not funny.

Rushski

Mattchuck, two things: 1. Stern was the original shock jock, good for him. 2. Sirius is merging with XM, so why compare the companies?

Stern did start the whole "shock jock" thing, but he has little ability to draw any interest nowadays. Has anyone in the media even talked to him recently? Nobody cares about Stern. Her doesn't even care anymore as he takes every Friday off and has more vactaion time than Florida.

FM let Stern go without a fight - guess that's like firing or suspending him as his ratings were plummetting on FM. And he certainly didn't draw nearly as many subs as he or Sirius would have liked - that's a fact. He does his "Howie Math" to act like Sirius has as many or more subscribers than XM - wrong. He was counting cars coming out of factories that weren't bought or activated.

The topic here was about O&A and how XM are censoring them, probably to make the merger easier. Don't try to compare an old relic to the best radio hosts out there, who helped XM get to the next level and are back on 20+ FM stations...

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
At the moment it appears the market is not quite ready to accept sattilite radio and there doesn't seem to be a market big enough for two networks. Both have yet to make a profit and Sirius's stock has fallen to less than $3 a share. They think that the only way to survive is to merge except the powers that be might not allow that.

If you have already invested in equipment and subscriptions I hope you come out better, than the LT pass owners at kmart will, if they both go under.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
XM has NHL, and while their scores coverage is delayed by up to 8 minutes (timed it) it is very good. XM has better coverage because they have terrestrial relay stations in places where satellites don't normally cover well (ie. cities).
Sirius has the NHL too, and I don't think there is a delay. (I could be wrong though)
Being able to listen to the Pats anywhere was the big plus for me.

And Sirius also has terrestrial stations. Locations that I know of are Hartford, Springfield, Worcester, and Boston. I even managed to keep satellite coverage while going underground through Boston on I-93 North.

When I was shopping for sat radio, I was going to go XM just to spite Stern, but Sirius had better programming all around, IMHO. Even Playboy radio, if you're into that sort of thing. The football and hockey clinched it for me though.

SkiDog

been with XM basically since its inception. Like it a LOT...especially when I drove across country. Nice not having to fumble for stations all the time.

Didn't really listen to O&A but might call and try to get the discount.

Now...what Ido hope is that they get the merger done so I can have best of both worlds.

M

Grassi21

Did you XM subscribers get that e-mail this AM? The signal was garbage yesterday and they are working to fix the problem.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Sirius is waaaayyyy better. Not only do they have Stern, they have the NFL and College football.

O & A were never as good as Stern, and they constantly try to put themselves on his level, acting like there's a censorship war that's about to hit all of Satellite Radio. The only reason anyone gets suspended or fired is because they suck, and companies are just looking for an excuse to let them go. Imus, O & A, those other guys who were fired . . . If they were drawing the amount of listeners that Stern had/has, nobody would care what they say. O & A aren't guilty of being offensive, they're just guilty of being not funny.

It's not just the quantity of listeners that counts, it's the type of listeners. Imus had about a sixth of the audience Stern has just before he was fired, but the audience Imus did draw was more affluent over all and and therefore demanded similar sponsorship. Combine that with the fact that Imus' audience represented a large portion of the perrenial 20% "swing vote" voter population and the type of guests he regularly had on his program (all very influential in politics or news media) and that's why the big stink was made. Because he was influential, not because he was not influential. That's what made his such a juicy target to Sharpton, Jackson et al.

Stern commands the larger audience, but he had/has no where near the size of listernship that really "counts" that Imus did.